4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and distinctive novel
Published on 25 Jan 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I've enjoyed the paladin's legacy so far but this book is disjointed and overall a disappointing read. It doesn't feel like there was a cohesive thought process bringing the reader through the world and I remain unconvinced by characters or understanding what the writer was trying to convey
Published 16 months ago by Claviger

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and distinctive novel, 25 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I loved The Deed of Paksenarrion. I thoroughly enjoyed Liar's Oath. There's a definite difference. I found Luap to be an insightful main character. I disliked him, as I do many people in the world today, but that made the book more realistic. After all, important things happen to less-than-perfect people. I felt that the story dragged in some places, but all in all rate it as a worthy prequel to The Deed of Paksenarrion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much realism for some?, 1 Sep 1997
By A Customer
Nitty Gritty Realism.... This seems to be the area that Ms. Moon gets complemented on the most for her other novels. Perhaps that is why readers seem to have such a love-hate relationship with this novel. Here we are confronted with a protagonist that is not larger than life, as are Gird and Paksenarrion, but rather is all too human. Very Real. You've heard the expression, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"? Well, Luap has the right to wear the "Been there, done that!" T-shirt. Paks's decisions may not have always been easy, but she had the light of Gird within her to guide her along her path, thus making those decisions seem easy and foregone. This is the story of one man who tries to fake that inner light and all of the chaos that comes about from his continual striving to do what is right without having a clue. I think that this story is a good balance to the Deed, as well as filling in past history that I was curious about.

4.0 out of 5 stars You have to know what it is to appreciate it., 30 Jan 1998
By A Customer
I'll agree that Liar's Oath is not the pinnacle of Elizabeth Moon's fantasy novels, but it tells a very important story, and a lot of people don't like it because they don't realize until the end that this story is a TRAGEDY.
Yes, Luap is a flawed, unworthy character who leads his followers to disaster. His story is a warning, and Moon tells it with all the style and bitter realism her fans expect from her.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Liar's Oath: The Legacy of Gird Book Two (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, slow and different, 8 Jun 2010
Nicholas Palmer "Nick Palmer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I broadly agree with A Customer, but I can see why some don't like it. It's really not at all the sort of fast-moving action novel that we're used to from Elizabeth Moon - it reminds me strongly of some of Lois Bujold McMaster's writing (e.g. the Sharing Knife series), which similarly sacrifices fast-moving plot to deep study of characters' thoughts and motivations.

The book is a prequel to the Paksanarrion series but you don't need to read one to enjoy the other - in fact I suspect few people will really enjoy both (I thought Pak's first volume at least was a bit routine, with Pak doing the "raw recruit turns into heroine" thing with consummate ease).

The anti-hero hero here is by no means a villain - he's a flawed idealist who lets himself be seduced into believing his survival is vital, and he never quite surrenders to the evil influence that gradually invades him. There's a fair amount of drama at times, but you run into patches of 10 pages or so where you're essentially just exploring the subtle distinctions made by his tormented mind. You might want to skim a bit here and there, but in some ways it's one or her subtlest books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liar`s oath, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Liar's Oath: The Legacy of Gird Book Two (Kindle Edition)
Every time I read a book in the series, l am enthralled by them. Anyone who enjoys a good read should read this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to "The Deed", 20 Aug 1997
By A Customer
I thoroughly enjoyed The Deed of Paksenarion, but I cannot recommend Liar's Oath. The story's weak and Laup is an unlikable, uninspiring character that reminds me of a government bureaucrat who's not happy in his job but doesn't have the courage to do anything else. Gird's character, isn't around long and I never really had a sense for the purpose of the book. It isn't good enough to stand on it's own merits and I didn't find it a particularly good precursor. The book ends with a resounding fizzle and even Paks and Duke/King Keri can't save it. I haven't given up on Ms. Moon though. Her extraordinary narrative added so much to the wonderful story line in The Deed. Unfortunately in Liar's Oath it's not enough to save the weak story.

2.0 out of 5 stars DOn't bother...Waste of money, 20 July 1997
By A Customer
While I have enjoyed most of the books put out by Elizabeth Moon I must say that this one bites the dust without exception. The tale just drags from start to finish without lifting from the drudgery. While the Legacy of Gird is a decent read this one does not have an inkling of enjoyment in it...Better luck next time Mrs. Moon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Belieavable followup of what might happen after a war, 6 Feb 2001
By A Customer
I hope this was not the last book of Girds Legacy, because it ended with a lot of loose ends which I would like to follow. The good thing about Legacy of Gird is that Elizabeth doesn't end the story where most other writers end theirs: When the war is over. She follows the characters even after. Luap is also a believable character with loads of flaws and an oath he wants to hold, but cannot. I found myself very often feeling sorry for him.

Liar's Oath: The Legacy of Gird Book Two