Published 4 months ago by P. DATTA

3.0 out of 5 stars Gods of guilt review
Not in the same class as some of his other books, especially the Poet, which was my favourite of all Michael Connolly books. However, although not exactly a page turner, I did enjoy it, and I liked the way it ended with all the details neatly tied up. I look forward to the next Mickey Haller book.
Published 13 days ago by William Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars Connnelly continues to impress with an enthralling piece of crime fiction, 9 Dec 2013
P. DATTA "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside) - See all my reviews
The Gods of Guilt marks the fifth appearance of straight-talking defence lawyer Mickey Haller. He is the half-brother of LAPD officer Harry Bosch, who appears in previous novel "Black Box". The author rotates the characters well.It is interesting to find out how the characters differ in terms of personality. The approach of handling cases is interesting to explore.The Gods of Guilt involves a new case for the Lincoln Lawyer. The client has been accused of murder. Mickey has to handle difficult cases where the stakes are high. Winning tends to strongly favour the other side when handling criminal cases. Can this be proved wrong? There is a twist added to the plot. The victim in question was a former client of the attorney. The past haunts Mickey. It becomes clear, as it is linked to a previous case. The events leading to the present build up well and reach a thrilling climax. It would be not right for me to comment too much on the plot details, as it would act as a spoiler for readers and affect enjoyment. The latest offering shows how skillful he is as a crime fiction writer. The novel is meticulously researched and richly insightful particularly the court scenes. Being a former crime reporter, adds real credibility and authenticity to the story. Connelly draws us well to the characters. We learn a lot about Mickey Haller surfacing as a district attorney and on an unhappy family life. There is a personal touch to Mickey Haller's character, as he is trying to build a bonding with the daughter. We get to learn about the client and victim in question. The background of the characters paint a sinister and dark picture. The plot is gripping, enthralling and compelling throughout. It kept me glued. There is an element of surprise when least expected to the plot. The Gods of Guilt shows Connelly is never short of ideas when writing crime fiction. Past events of the district attorney makes the novel an interesting read, hence the title. Connelly is top of the game in crime fiction. The writing has reached a new level since introducing the character. He continues to impress a legion of readers. I would recommend the novel if you are looking for quality crime fiction. He is one of my favourite crime writers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gods of guilt review, 7 April 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it rather than loved it, 22 Dec 2013
I am a fan of Michael Connelly's books both the Harry Bosch and the Mickey Haller series. I prefer the Mickey Haller series as I feel he has written some of his best work in the courtroom setting. However, the fifth book in the Mickey Haller series doesn't live up to expectations.

For some reason, I get a rushed feeling about the book, especially as there were a number of spelling mistakes and the odd missing word.

**Potential Spoiler**
In addition, I found Connelly's need to refer to the Lincoln Lawyer movie within the novel irritating as well as the necessity for the two half brothers to have some brief encounter.

The story in general is quite good and kept me interested for the most part. However, the ending left me feeling apathetic. I had been hoping for a twist or something big to finish off the book. But unfortunately it just petered out.
** Potential Spoiler**

Overall, if you are a Michael Connelly fan, you will more than likely like this book, but not be blown away by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read!, 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller 5) (Kindle Edition)
The lead character is developing well, together with his team.
I look forward to their greater involvement in the next story

5.0 out of 5 stars whodunnit, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller 5) (Kindle Edition)
A great courtroom drama , with twists and turns to keep you guessing, and keep you up into the small hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Troubled start but comes alive in the courtroom, 16 April 2014
I've been a huge fan of Connelly's for years, loyally buying everything he releases. Over the past few releases my loyalty has been tested as he's dropped below his usual high standard, I guess that can happen when you're a massively marketable author with a publisher that wants to see the next book on the shelfs - the quality drops off as the quanity becomes more important.

At the start of this book I wasn't hooked at all, the writing felt laboured and there were a few examples of where a good edit might have helped. But, I stuck with it because I have my loyalty to Connelly and an interest in how his character's lives will continue to unfold. It was hard going for a long time. I remember a time when I'd get a new Connelly on the day of release and have it finished within the week, this book sat on the shelf since Christmas (more a comment on his last few books than this one) and has taken me the best part of a month to get through. I found the first half of the book unengaging.

Thankfully, once the story gets into the courtroom it really takes off. Micky Haller is a great character and when we're into the full following dialogue of the legal exchanges there's a real pulse to the book. Connelly writes this courtroom stuff with such authority and confidence that suddenly I found myself gripped by the story and not wanting to put the book down. Where the first half of the book had me struggling for three and a half weeks, the second half wouldn't let me put it down and I ripped through it in a few days. Had it not been for the ponderous first half I've have easily given this five stars, but as it stands I can only give three

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 15 April 2014
J. Wells "jayellem" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller 5) (Kindle Edition)
I always enjoy Michael Connelly and this was no exception. I am no literary critic so cannot pretend to analyse why I like it but the characters have become known to me so I am comfortable in their company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller 5) (Kindle Edition)
First of all, I'm a massive Connelly fan, owing my learning to love courtroom/lawyer based fiction to him, Grisham owes Michael Connelly some money for the conversion.
That said, the first half of The Gods of Guilt didn't grip me at all and it was only my faith that the story would come through in the end which kept me going.
It did come through though and as usual was a class act, with exactly the right amount of everything that a Haller book needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Michael Connelly triumph, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller 5) (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read in the Connelly style. Convincing plot and tense conclusion. Satisfying read for those liking well crafted crime novels .

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the usual standard, 12 April 2014
Connelly has written many great books, and his stories are usually very well crafted and constructed. I have felt, however, that the well of inspiration seems to have been drying up a bit recently. None of his last four books has impressed me nearly as much as his earlier creations. "The Gods of Guilt" was, for me, a big disappointment. It looks to have been written quickly, with more than half an eye on the story's potential as a film script. "Pot boiler" is the phrase that comes to mind in describing the book. What a pity.

ARRAY(0xaf24b72c)

The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller 5)