4.7 out of 5 stars1,247
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 21 May 2014
I'm really enjoying this book. It's transported me back in time because I grew up in London around the same time as Alan Johnson. My husband knew Alan so it resonates with him as well. The real life tale of a boy who grew up in poverty but made it all the way to The House of Commons and beyond.
on 13 February 2015
Very enjoyable read, which I could relate to as I was born in the 1950s. Beautifully written, a born writer, and very funny too in places. A truly wonderful autobiography. If only all politicians were as lowly born and hard working. Too many are born with silver spoons in their mouths! Moving.
on 13 June 2013
I found this book very moving. I am slightly older than Alan Johnson and luckily did not suffer his boyhood life conditions, but I could well identify with his observations of a Britain moving, as they say, from 'black-and-white into colour'. Few books have brought me to tears: this one did.
on 11 June 2014
What a fantastic in sight into a young boy's life being brought up in poverty in west London. Superbly written and what makes it even more incredible is that this is a true story of a boy that over comes extreme hardship to become one of the leading politicians of our era. Excellent read!
on 25 September 2013
This is a brilliant book - an eye-opener into life for some in the 50s and 60s.I loved the contrast between Alan's love and respect for his mother and sister and feeling of contempt for his father.Don't believe you have to be a socialist to read this book or you'll miss out on a great read.
on 17 June 2013
Generous, unsentimental and well-written, this is a book I'm glad to have read. It's laugh out loud funny in places as well as wrenching, insightful and absorbing. I hope there's more to come about the author himself. but even if not still we have Lily and Linda's brave story. Recommended!
on 1 February 2015
A beautifully written book about Alan Johnson's childhood which was surprisingly tough. It is dominated by his mother's efforts to improve her children's lives, and her tragically early death. Yet there is humour and warmth in this account by one of our most human and likeable politicians.
on 14 September 2014
This book highlighted the gap in the present state of the government today. My childhood memories of the real poverty that existed in my world are reflected here. I was sorry to see Alan GO from government and I think it is a pity there are no more like him. I can't wait for the next book
on 29 March 2014
I enjoy true stories, and this one certainly tugs at the heart-strings. At times sad, but also very funny. I also related to the 50's and 60's era as I am a little older than Alan Johnson. I would have liked it to continue to learn how he entered into politics. Get writing again Alan!
on 15 January 2015
Very easy to read and it portrayed the dreadful situations and conditions which some families had to endure. Alan Johnson, his sister and particularly their mother faced such terrible hardships but had such a great sense of honesty and integrity. What a wonderful bond they all shared.