5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good tablet for a very good price!
Published 20 months ago by Simon Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for
The headline probably makes this review sound worse than it is.

I bought this tablet as a "media centre" for my kitchen. It sits in it's stand with speakers either side to stream TuneIn(radio)/TvCatchup(tv)/Play Music(mp3s) when I'm sitting in the kitchen. It is perfect for this job, apps open quickly and respond quickly and the sound through the...
Published 20 months ago by Ben Bowtell

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good tablet for a very good price!, 18 April 2013
My girlfriend wanted a tablet after using my Nexus 7. I was going to buy her the same as what I have but then I came across the Acer Iconia B1. After looking at the spec I didn't expect much in the terms of speed, performance or quality but for what she wanted to use it for it seemed to me to good to be true. I am very tech minded and will only be happy with top quality electronic items. But this is where I was very pleasantly surprised! This item is actually very very good for the price, the screen resolution isn't the highest but is bright, reasonably sharp, graphics look clear, photos look very good. The processor seems fast enough for general use including games, browsing and having a good few apps running at the same time in the background. Touch screen can sometimes be fractionally slow when typing but really this does not pose as a major issue to the functionality of the tablet. Battery lasts about 4 hours when in constant use, when left on standby and used moderately lasts around a day which is perfect for the girlfriend. Games run well and smoothly, Google Maps with navigation using the built in GPS is a great bonus. Sound from the speaker is very good when watching catch up TV or YouTube.
At £100 you really can't go wrong with this device, you get a tablet which is made by a reputable manufacturer, it might feel a bit plasticy but if you get a case for a fiver you won't even notice and definitely won't be disappointed. And don't forget this is running Android Jellybean. Very few tablets are updated to this version of Jellybean and the quality of other uncommon brands in my own experience don't come close to how good this device is.
Overall I have a very happy girlfriend, I am very impressed and I'd say this device is suitable for any age and anyone who wants a good tablet at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tablet, 28 Mar 2013
S. Grace - See all my reviews
I didn't buy my Acer Iconia B1 from Amazon as they were out of stock for couple of weeks, so I got it from an Acer shop in Thailand and it cost about 85 pounds.
4 weeks on and I am still very very pleased with it. It does everything my pal's Samsung Galaxy can do at a fraction of the price. It is surprisingly quick when surfing and looking for apps,
My Skype and Voipcheap have turned it into a cheap phone with free landline calls on the latter.

I suppose my main concern was about the battery, but I get a good 5-6 hours surfing, and when I use it to read my Kindle books with Wi-Fi off and the display dimmed it is appraoching 8 hours, plenty for a long coach journey.

I cant complain about the build quality, as for the price it is sturdy enough.

All in all I love it, My only complaint is that my wife keeps borrowing it, so I am getting another on payday.

5.0 out of 5 stars great travel tablet, 22 Jun 2013
does exactly what I wanted...use for e-mails, games,plus great for taking away on vacation.Easy to travel wit
h no bulk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value tablet from a major name, 15 May 2013
Mr. Robert Mcfarlane (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
Our family has gone through several tablets before arriving at our current inventory of 2 Acer Iconia B1s & 1 Google Nexus 7. I need say nothing about the Nexus 7 as it's pretty much universally accepted that it is the best 7" Android tablet around & has a stunningly low price for its specification. I got mine from the USA when exchange rates were favourable & am very happy. For my wife and son, who are much more casual users than me, I looked around and tried several 'no name' tablets which flatter to deceive with putatively impressive specifications....they were for the most part underpowered, poorly built & a complete nightmare to update; there are no readily available custom ROMs so you have to be very 'tech savvy' to do anything but stick with the very poor stock ROMs that come with these kind of tablets...there are a few exceptions but in general they're best to avoid.

Step in Acer in the form of a sales banner in Asda.....new Iconia B1 for £99. I had an Iconia A100 as one of my first tablets & I loved it with 2 reservations: it did not charge via USB & the screen, though adequate, was a little lacking from certain angles while being VERY reflective. I checked the specs of the B1 & was pleasantly surprised to find a good screen and USB charging. Plus my wife liked the blue flashing on the tablet so I bought it for her there and then. Easy to set up, a joy to use, upgrades to Jellybean 4.1.2 out of the box & is fast and fluid, fabulous value for the money, especially when you think of the Apple ipad mini starting at around £270; the Iconia is not as good as the the ipad mini but £ for £ it's a steal.

Additionally, for those who like to tinker with their gadgets, there is an Iconia B1 tool kit that allows you to root the device with minimal fear of 'bricking'....for those who don't know, rooting allows you to do things like overclock (for speed) & under-volt (for battery saving) plus use custom-designed interfaces, etc. I have my Nexus rooted but wife and son have refused me access to root their Inconias, I think they are put off by all the head scratching and grumbling that usually accompanies my attempts to indulge my 'tekky' pretensions! Rooting invalidates your warranty so unless you have a compelling reason to do it, I suggest don't, the tablet is slick & attractive straight out of the box.

To summarise: things needed (IMHO) for a good tablet are: 1. at least dual core processor, 2. at least 1024 x 600 screen with good viewing angles, 3. USB charging, 4. expandable memory, 5. updates delivered by manufacturer. The Iconia has all of these so for me is a contender. Add a price under £100 (& Acer are giving £20 back during May 2013 'a la Samsung') & I believe this tablet is one of the very best purchase options available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Tablet, 20 Jan 2014
Mr. Ian Mitchinson "Mitch" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought for my wife to let her get on the net quicker and for travelling. Its actually replacing her laptop, it is now only used for college work.Only downside's I see are only a screen side camera and it can only show you tube in portrait mode.For the money, absolute bargain. Battery life is good is you remember to disable the wifi and always switch it fully off .I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Iconica B1 7-inch tablet (black), excellent for the price and very stable, 5 Aug 2014
I have had this item for over a year now and I am thoroughly satisfied with it. For a tablet it is a little on the cheap side and I am surprised on how well it has performed. The screen is clear and crisp and it is responsive and very stable (has crashed only 1 or 2 times in a year) and I am pleased with the OS (Jellybean). The tablet is fast enough for my needs; I am able to use apps such as Kingsoft Office and Simpsons Tapped Out without issue. If browsing the internet continuously the battery life does not last for ages (as in many tablets) but with the wifi off- e.g. while reading on the train etc it will last for hours. The clear screen allows it to perform well as an e-reader.The internal storage (0.98 gb) is a little on the low side so you can't put as many apps on it as the more higher capacity tablets; there is a micro sd card slot (for up to 32gb) and a internal sd (over 5gb) but certain items on Android must be installed or have a footprint on the internal storage.

Their are limitations and in light of these many would prefer a more upmarket model; it is excellent value for money, however, and it suits my needs perfectly (hence 5 stars). This is my first tablet and it has convinced me of the necessity of such an item; I no longer have to carry a bulky laptop and cables around with me on every train journey and it has been invaluable for my work, where I am often in areas where the use of a computer is impractical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 24 Oct 2013
Really love this, very easy to use and not too big to carry around. All the family try and steal it away!

4.0 out of 5 stars The 21st Century Walkman, 13 May 2013
Chris "chrisgb" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this as a birthday gift for my father, and he seems to like it well enough. It's about the size of an Amazon Kindle 7", slim, light, but I'd have to say it has a very plasticky feel to it. The screen also doesn't have very wide viewing angles, although it's fine for personal dead-on viewing, so for use on e.g. public transport, this also means fellow passengers aren't going to see too much of what you're looking at either, so it cuts both ways. The screen does, however, have a slightly "jaggy" low-res quality to it, but playing back Youtube clips or whatever appears absolutely fine on it. The Tab has a micro USB input for data transfer and charging, a microSD card slot for expanding storage, and full access to the Google Play store.

After this, it unsurprisingly works exactly like any other Android device, and as a bonus, comes with some flavour of Android 4 (I can't remember exactly which) out of the box, so it's highly usable for a variety of things - viewing widgets, note-taking, calendar organisation, composing short e-mails, playing music, light games, video and so on. In all, for a hundred quid, it's a nice little device which won't blow you away, but is fine for all kinds of things. It's not going to compete with an iPad or Galaxy Tab, but it isn't really intended to, and hence why I reckon it's the 21st centry equivalent of a walkman. It's a consumption and entertainment device, and also useful for quickly getting online, and it does all of these things with relatively little fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tablet, 5 Oct 2013
I brought this for my daughters 11th birthday, and I have to say its brilliant. She uses it 24/7 always playing games & on you tube so this is perfect.....and I've also 'borrowed' it for watching films :)
Definitely worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tablet working excelllently well, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Acer Iconia B1 7-inch Tablet (Black) - (MediaTek MTK 8317T 1.2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 16GB eMMC, Camera, WLAN, BT, Android 4.1) (Personal Computers)
I bought this tablet for my daughter on our visit to Ghana (Africa). She really loves it and it does with it says it will do. Through our 7 hour transit in Dubai she was on the tablet. Had it not being for the tablet, the 7 hours transit will have been hell for me. Good product with long battery life.