5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb.
I took a punt on this after a friend mentioned in passing, that I might like them. An uncharacteristic leap of faith followed, and I have not looked back.

Published on 11 Nov. 2011 by Deano

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
ok
Published 5 months ago by robert chaffe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb., 11 Nov. 2011

First track 'The past six years' is an acoustic number, which led me falsely into believing that that was the direction I was headed in for the next half an hour or so, and in truth, I would have been happy enough had that been the case, however, track 2 on-wards, and they are very much plugged in, and what follows is 45 minutes or so of immaculate alternative rock/power pop. I cant fault them, not one filler to my ears, and every listen brings a further fondness for my new discovery.

Instantly, they remind me of Essex band Inme, a personal favorite of mine in this particular genre, and the comparison is definitely meant as a huge compliment, even the vocal has the same haunting, believable lilt as Dave McPherson's, they are not, however, copyists, they stand very much on their own two feet.

The tracks fly by. Stand outs for me would be 'Little white lies', 'I'm a bore, mostly', 'Filthy rotten scoundrel', 'Fifty four', actually, every listen throws up new hi-lights and new favorites, and all of the tracks sound like they will be great when heard live. I will be checking out for dates, no doubt about that.

Definitely worth the asking price. If you like bands like Inme, The Blackout or Kids in glass houses etc, then buy with confidence, as this is absolutely intended for you.

I can't recommend them highly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album, 16 Jun. 2012
Simply one of the best albums out there. Pre-ordered this and got it a week after the released date, well I live on the other side of the world so that's a fast one. The most honest album I ever heard. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matured like a fine wine!, 8 Dec. 2011
"FAWL" is a very different style to what they where during "Meet me half way". BUT. I love it, every song on this album delivers single qualities, and there isnt a song on this album I would change.

Like James stated in an earlier interview- "This album is personal" And I feel they have managed to relate to a lot of their fans across the world, and have successfully created many sound tracks to many lives. This is a MUST buy for any matured post hardcore fan!

Deaf Havana have adapted very well to the mainstream major label genre, and I feel this band need to be viewed with new eyes and seen for the seriously talented band they have now become.

*****

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankly amazing, 19 Nov. 2011
It is very rare that i find an album where i like every song on it, i think Sum 41 were the last ones to do it, and it is even rarer that i actually buy an album. I have a very broad interest in music and tend to go for particular songs from diferent artists. However this album is quite frankly amazing.

I did like their last album meet me halfway, at least and although i'm not a huge fan of screaming vocalists i felt that their mixture of both vocal styles complimented each other nicely. It was a shame to hear that Ryan was leaving the band and i did wonder what they would do in his absence.

After listening to this new album and their single 'smiles all round' that they released last year i personally think they are better without him. Songs such as 'the past six years', 'i'm a bore, mostly', 'hunstanton pier' and 'little white lies' are truely fantastic and the others are not too far behind.

This is a fantastic album and i would recommend it to anyone whether they were fans or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year, 11 Jun. 2012
You know how sometimes you wonder if there's ever going to be another album or song that will really get you, that will be different than all the rest. Before this one I was thinking just that. And then I heard Fools and Wortless Liars... I was not much of a fan of DH before as I don't like screaming voacals. Now with only James singing... what a difference. What a lyricist he is also. This is as close as you can come to a perfect album for me. Not that the unconditional love is immediate. No, you like it straight away for sure but after 3 times listening to it you start to love it, after 10 times you listen to nothing else and after 100 times it still gets better. All 13 songs are a hit between the eyes and right from the first until the last note that is. And also thanks to Tom Ogden's thunderous, original drumming. Fast paced, melodic, moving, fascinating and brutally honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 17 May 2012
This album is amazing. Every single song is a piece of lyrical genius, with a fantastic range of musical accompaniment. I've seen these guys tour this album 3 times, and they are incredible live: a must see! James (lead singer and song writer) explains his struggles intricately with a great vocal range, hitting anthemic, touching highs (Hunstanton Pier, Leeches) and killer lows (Anemophobia, The World Or Nothing). You can really understand and relate to the band through this emotionally charged album, cementing these guys as the kings of the UK Alternative Rock scene, and I wish them all the best! Going to see them twice more in November and could not be more excited!

To the 2 star review, people should be cautious. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I feel that the comment was misguided.

The band lost a key member, and openly admitted to undergoing a major change in musical style on the new album, so to criticise the album for that change seems unfair. Anyone expecting 'Meet Me Halfway, at Least'MK II (Their first album, with screamed vocals - totally different style) were wrong to expect that. If anything, the relatively seamless transition from old genre to new is a reflection of their musical talents, making Fools and Worthless Liars such an epic achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars best musical purchase in a very long time, 12 May 2012
Shabnam Z. Pour "=D" (uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this album because I'd heard a few Deaf Havana songs on kerrang radio and I really liked them so I purchased this album and its my best musical buy in a very long time. Every song is as just as good as the previous one. If you've heard Deaf Havana songs before then this wont disapoint but it'll make you love them even more and if you havent then get this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 14 Jan. 2012
Fools And Worthless Liars is a superb, outstanding album! I was becoming that disillusioned with trying to find current new music as good as this that i was having to look back in time to try and find something i had not heard before, then i discovered this album by Deaf Havana! On first play you know you have have found something very special, with the standout track for me being the stunning Hunstanton Pier, by the third play you realise that every track is as good. The lyrics the vocals the perfect switching from acoustic to wired, everything about the way this band performs these brilliant tracks is superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best investments you could ever make., 7 Jan. 2012
This album is musically and lyrically exceptional. The quality and tone of James' voice is superb and without a doubt lends itself to the lyrics he wrote in a way which only enhances the honesty of what he is singing. The transparency with which the album talks about not feeling adequate, of feeling bored with life itself and the people in it and not having any motivation resounds with me and so many people of the world today; even on the more personal tracks to the band specifically such as the opener 'The Past Six Years' or 'Hunstanton Pier' the feeling continues. He sings "we're a self-destructive generation, whose obituaries will be, due to excessive boredom, the body gave in, to liver failure and heart disease it seems". The album is flooded with nostalgia and sensational in it's composition. It shows off Deaf Havana's mature and fabulous new direction to it's very very best and I have no idea how they would better it. It was my favourite album of 2011 and will probably continue being my favourite for many years to come! I cannot recommend it enough or talk it's praises high enough. Please go buy and listen to it! It will be one of the best investments you will ever make! guaranteed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of 2011, 1 Mar. 2014
I. J. Davies "The Rock Addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This band deserve to be massive. Beautifully crafted songs, strong narratives and soaring melodies. Not sure why they don't get airplay, yet the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Biffy Clyro get lauded by BBC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›