5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, economical, and fast
This replaces my last 10/100 5 port switch to complete my gigabit network. The router recognises the Trendnet as a gigabit switch, and when I temporarily swapped it with my busiest switch, a TL-SG108, to give it several gigabit devices to converse with, it proved it was achieving the kind of speed one would expect.

The upper row of green LEDs indicates any...
Published 20 months ago by R. F. Stevens

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap. But didn't work for me. Returning.
These were unbelievably cheap, but I thought with 70 five-star reviews, and just 1 one-star. I can't lose. How wrong I was.

Published 2 months ago by J. TING

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, economical, and fast, 26 Oct. 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The upper row of green LEDs indicates any activity on the connection to an active Ethernet port, and the lower row of green LEDs indicate which of those ports are also gigabit. The layout of LEDs and sockets is useful for a tidy installation with the indicators on the front and all the sockets on the back. However this means it is less useful if you want to repeatedly change the pluggery from the front and yet still see the LEDs - then get a TL-SG105 or the TL-SG108.

I put my engineer's glasses on and had a look inside to check on the construction and it is reasonable for such an inexpensive unit. Some of the soldering could be better, but the basic design is sound.

It takes a standard UK plug-top 5V 1A PSU with the usual 2.5(F)/5.5mm(M) DC connector on the lead; small snag, the one supplied had the power bulge and lead coming out the top (Earth pin end) which meant it did not fit my socket strip so I substituted another more convenient PSU with the same rating and the lead coming out the normal end.

Measured mains power consumption for its normal connectivity of TV, Blue ray and two DVRs (three of which are only 100Mb/s) peaks at about 1.5Watts in use dropping back to about half a Watt when idle, much of that idle is in the PSU. This earns it a solid 5*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gigabit speeds, low price, low power consumption - there's no down side, 24 Oct. 2013
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TRENDnet switch, frankly, at under £15, is a bargain Gigabit switch. Add in the fact that it aims to be very energy efficient and it looks more and more attractive.

Until it arrived a week ago I'd been running a Netgear GS108 8-port Gigabit switch under my TV to connect various devices - mass storage, my TV, a network TV tuner and a small computer - to my home network. It consumes a maximum of 14w of power. That's a kWh every three days at maximum power consumption.

On the other had the TRENDnet is rated at 3W maximum consumption. That's a kWh every two weeks. I've had this switch plugged in for a week so far and it has performed flawlessly. Being connected to my main home storage it gets a lot of use. All my TV recordings go through this switch. Most of my internet traffic (BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Netflicks) also passes through it.

Now the Netgear only had four devices connected so it was, lets say, running at a little over half power - let's say 8-9W. The new switch is fully utilised (it has five ports - four for devices, one to connect it to my router) so it probably is running at 3W much of the time - but that still mean that I'm now using 60-70% less power to run it.

With electricity prices forever rising the TRENDnet is not only £20 cheaper to buy but it is also going to use a maximum of 25kWh in a year compared to 75kWh for the Netgear. At 15p per kWh that's a saving for me of £7.50 a year over the Netgear. If the switch lasts two years then the savings alone over the Netgear makes the router free, and every year after is money banked towards a replacement.

I'm aware I've not considered its energy saving features that cut its power usage to even lower levels, but the problem is that without sophisticated measuring equipment that isn't really possible. But frankly I don't need to. Even at full power I'm saving money. If it manages to average, say, 2W instead of 3W over a week then my power usage goes down to 17kWh over a year and I save an extra £1.20. Result.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great little Gigabit Switch. Very pleased, 26 Jan. 2015
Guy - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My little gigabit switch arrived promptly next day thanks to prime. I plugged it in and away it went! So easy and works fine. I did some throughput tests and can find no apparent issues. So, thus far, a great little device.
Just a word of caution. This Amazon entry is a little naughty - this switch on comes in 4 revisions. The current is V3, the others V1, V2.0 and V2.1 are all discontinued. They can be distinguished by having the front LED's offset to the right And come in an orange/black box. The V3 has the LED's more central and comes in a blue/black box. The photos of this device in this Amazon entry are of one of the older models, while the picture of the box shows the V3. Mine, on arrival, was a V2.1.
As I said above, mine works great albeit being a discontinued model. I don't know if there are any issues with the older models, but beware just in case. Amazon and it's sellers should be a little more honest before tempting sellers with so called "bargains".

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job, 22 Oct. 2013
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm using this in my work office, replacing a venerable 10/100 3Com switch that is four times the size and that had a PSU that always ran hot.

A switch is not to be confused with a router. This is a fairly simple device which allows you to split an existing network connection to four more ports. So that's one port in and four ports out for a total of five ports.

Set-up couldn't be simpler - plug in the Ethernet cables and turn it on. Done. Do make sure that your cables are at least Cat5e if you want to benefit from Gigabit speeds, and that your network interfaces are in fact Gigabit as well - this is far from guaranteed even if your hardware is reasonably recent but was bought on a budget.

Discrete with low power consumption even when in use, I'm probably going to get one for home as well.

Oh, some of the other reviews mention EU plugs. The device I received came with a UK power supply already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little Switch, 23 Jan. 2012
Quite surprised when this switch came, it is very compact and takes up very little room on the desk. The picture doesn't really do it justice, it looks like it's from the 90's, but in fact it's appearance is smart, and it has a black gloss top and rubber feet. Nice clear lights on the front and nice lime green and black theme going on. The only thing I had to do was buy an EU - UK plug adapter but that wasn't really a problem, I found a great one here >> Ex-Pro Euro European Clamping fast on fast off - Converter Plug with power connections White / 3amp - easily convert European 2pin mains lead circular type connectionsto UK standard plug.

It also adjusts power to suit the length of network cable attached to it, so the shorter the less power it uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Quality! (partial Multi-Review), 21 Oct. 2013
I purchased my unit from another online retailer but I was so impressed with it that I just had to leave a review as this little giga-switch gets overlooked by 99.9% of people who are looking for a cheap gigabit switch for their home network.

Over the last few weeks I have been playing around with some 5 port gigabit switches ranging from £10-25 from TP-Link and Netgear. The netgear (GS105) was nice, small, compact and housed in a metal casing. One major annoyance though was that the cables were routed out of the front of the device rather than then back and it made for very messy cabling. as some of the thicker Cat6 cables i had weren't as flexible as the cheaper cat5e cables I was running in my network. This quite often resulted in the switch being 'suspended' off the floor/desk at an angle which was quite a headache to say the least.

Unfortunately the Netgear started losing packets, network speeds took a serious hit and some of the ports just kept flickering on and off like christmas lights causing any activity to go into a non-stop cycle of start n' stop over and over again before I got mad and threw it at the cat before any downloads or access to my NAS eventually timed out.

In light of the problems I was having I ordered a TP-Link 5 port gigaswitch of Amazon, the TL-SG1005D. This unit was CHEAP and I needed something to fill in the gap asap. Unfortunately I have had bad luck with TP-Link products in the past and generally try to avoid them if possible but it got quite a lot of 5 star reviews and it was cheap so i decided to see what all the fuss was about.

Ladies and gents, If you are looking for a 'No Frills' gigabit switch then this TP-Link excels at that and is EXCELLENT value for money. For the price though corners had to be cut. The casing is constructed out of this almost sickeningly cheap plastic and the LED indicators are few and don't really tell you much about the connection apart from just flashing/blinking to indicate port activity.

If you don't care about looks/cosmetics then the TP-Link is definitely the best buy, Just hide it on a bookshelf or tuck it away in a corner somewhere where it cant be seen and leave it to do its business.

I could have easily just said I didn't care to waste more money but past experiences with TP-Link left quite a bad taste in my mouth and i just couldnt get over it.

So I hit the interwebs again, Did quite a lot of re-search into 5-8 port gigaswitches. I was probably looking at different switches over a period of 2-3 weeks before deciding to take a punt on this Trendnet unit. I visited every possible major online retailer for reviews and even hit up some of the American retailers just to check the overall feedback.

On Nu-Egg (trying to be creative here - use your brains) there are 3-4x more reviews for the trendnet than the TP-Link unit and I decided to place an order with a UK based retailer for one (one owned by a rather large telecoms giant)

So here starts my review of the TrendNet TEG-S50G....

The device is Beautiful! Its very small and compact - less than HALF the size of the 5-port TP-Link, Its housed in a black steel casing, has the right amount of LEDs that not only indicated port activity but connection speeds, Cables are routed around the back just like the TP-Link which is great as you don't need to see a mess of cables, and lastly the power adapter uses 5v instead of 9v of the TP Link so we're already saving a bit of power by switching over

The unit itself has a nice weight to it given its small size and feels very very solidly constructed even more so than the Netgear one I previously had which has been returned for a refund.

Getting close to 75mb/s downloading/reading from my NAS (Synology DS213J) So I am a very happy with it.

On Amazon the TrendNet switches get overshadowed by TP-Link's offerings quite badly because of their cheap price. There is such thing as cheap and cheerful and TP-Link fills that role perfectly. However for those people whose idea of cheap plastic casings, possibly questionable build quality/reliability and looks just irks them immensely than this here TEG-S50G will give you a lot more in terms of build quality for the price.

As for the performance of the two units, they are more or less the same so there's no love lost there.

I have no doubt that this TEG-S50g will last me for many many long years to come, So far my only regret is that I bought the 5 port instead of the 8 port but another switch can always be purchased at a later date when required.

Ladies and gents, If you are looking for a QUALITY 5 port gigabit switch then there is no better contender then the TrendNet. Part of the reason why TrendNet get overlooked if not for their price is because their not as well known here in the UK as the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch?, 21 April 2015
I knew nothing about switches other than that I needed two of them. I have a Draytek router which, like most routers, has a built in 4 port switch. The problem with mine, a 2820n, is that only one of these LAN ports is gigabit, and I needed three at the router location, and four more in another room where various items are connected to a Devolo dLAN 1200+ WiFi, which only has two gigabit LAN ports for wired connections.

Having put a lot of effort and expense into having PCs, Macs, iPads and home entertainment boxes working just the way I want them, I didn't want everything messed up by probably the cheapest bit of electronics in the system, so I started googling (actually DuckDuckGo-ing) switches to find out what was available and well considered. Most tech sites advised that, these days, almost any unmanaged switch will do the job perfectly well, with the only common advice being to consider getting one with a metal case for extra durability.

All that was left was to sort the available switches by average customer review on Amazon, and look at people's real life experiences.This TRENDnet was by no means the only choice, but was well liked by network engineers and people who obviously understood switches, which I certainly didn't. It also makes much of its GREENnet technology for which it claims 70% power savings, reducing power supplied to unused ports, ports with equipment that's turned off, and to shorter cable lengths. It looked like a good choice, and I ordered two.

I'd noted some reviews saying how small the units are, but I was unprepared for the tiny little thing nestling in its much larger cardboard box. People have also commented on which hardware revision they were supplied: mine were UK models V3.1R. There is now a V4.0R, but the main difference seems to be the front panel, which now has one row of multi purpose LEDs instead of two rows, one for connection and one for gigabit speed, on V3.1R.
Apart from the switch, the box contained a UK power supply, an instruction booklet, and a pad of rubber feet. The box itself has a mass of technical information for those who understand it, and the welcome if surprising statement that this cheap little switch comes with a 3 year warranty and 24/7 tech support!

The back panel has the power socket, and five gigabit ports. I connected a short Cat6A patch cable from the router's gigabit port to the TRENDnet's port #1, and then, to begin with, my main PC to port #2, the Devolo 1200+ Powerline to #3, and then plugged it into the mains. The switch is Plug & Play, and no configuration is needed or possible. It was immediately obvious that something wasn't right. I had both green lights on for the router and Devolo connections, indicating that both were connected at gigabit speeds, but only one green light for the PC, meaning that it was connected but only at Fast Ethernet speed. I unplugged the PC from #2 and transferred it to #4 and promptly got the two green lights.

Given the price of the switch, and the fact I didn't need all five ports at the moment, I was tempted to just carry on with the configuration that worked, but having seen the offer of a 24/7 helpline, I thought I'd give it a go. I went to the UK website, and the first pleasant surprise was an 0800 phone number! The call was answered straight away, and after being routed through a couple of options to get me to the right person, I found myself speaking to a very polite tech person within 60 seconds of dialing. Of course, I might have just got lucky and phoned at a quiet time, but even so!

The tech gentleman apologized for needing to take some details, and then asked for the problem. He asked me to plug the PC into the as yet unused port #5, which worked as it should, and then back into the original port #2. Embarrassingly this port now also worked perfectly. It was my turn to apologize for wasting his time, but he couldn't have been nicer, gave me a tech support ticket number and told me to phone back with any further questions or problems.

I then unpacked the second switch, and, long story short, everything worked perfectly first time.

I've only just bought these switches, so I can't comment on how long they will keep working, but with a 3 year warranty that shouldn't be a problem. Apart from that, I can't imagine how an unmanaged gigabit switch could be any better. You need to use cables that are at least Cat5e, and as with all 5 port switches, one port is used to connect to the source of the signal, the router, other switch etc, so you will have four expansion ports. If this isn't enough, consider an 8 port switch, a bit bigger and a bit more expensive. Your network devices will need to support gigabit speeds, sometimes written as 1000 Mbit/s, to take advantage of the best possible speed, but if they are the slower Fast Ethernet standard, sometimes 10/100 Mbit/s, such as a Sky box, most Blu Ray players etc, they will still work but no faster than their own lower maximum speed.

So, thoroughly recommended, a genuine 5 star buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap. But didn't work for me. Returning., 26 April 2015
J. TING "JT" (UK) - See all my reviews

I bought two of these on a one day prime delivery to replace an ancient Dlink and a equally old Netgear switch, hoping to move the rest of my network from 100Mbps to Gigabit. Straight swap, I thought. So I unplugged the old boxes and plugged these new TRENDnet ones in.

All hell broke loose. I could not connect between more than half my computers and devices. I took a closer look at the lights and realized a number of them weren't lit up. Stupidly, I started investigating the various PC's and re-installing the network card drivers and so on to no avail.

Then common sense struck, and I replaced the new switches with the old ones, and all the lights came back on. Thinking that these new switches may be more picky with the network cables, I replace them all with new CAT6 ones, but again, that didn't make the slightest difference.

So, I am afraid, they are going back to Amazon tomorrow, and I am ordering the more expensive Netgear ones instead, which have given me sterling service for years. A classic case of "You gets what you pays for" in this instance, methinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, no fuss at all, 19 Nov. 2013
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't fault this discrete, simple, effortless little network switch. It's smaller than I expected, but in a well-designed way that doesn't make it feel cheap. Even if the power-saving claims that it makes on the box are only half true, it still won't take long to pay off the cost of the router in reduced electricity bills alone.

The network speed through shows no discernable slowness at all compared to a direct connection to the router, though I haven't been able to put that to any advanced speed testing.

It's got a sturdy build quality. It's got a fairly stylised green-and-black design which does feel a tiny bit 1980's. The lights are bright enough to be easily visible, but the device is so small that if the blinking lights bother you, the switch can be tucked behind a PC or some other box (or in our case, a flowerpot).

I've not seen any other switch that's this straightforward, no-nonsense and well priced. It does exactly what you want it to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good speed, great value, 31 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
5 stars considering the low price.

I was using the built in switch on the broadband router to connect up all my equipment at home, I was slow, so I thought I'd try a dedicated gigabit switch to see if it's any better. I was pleasantly surprised at the result.

Using a network speed test utility on my main desktop, I tested the transfer rate of a file server that is directly connected via firstly the broadband router, then this new switch.

Broadband router transfer rate averages 86 Mbps (just under 11 MB/s)

Trendnet gigabit switch transfer averages 600 Mbps (around 75 MB/s)

So this little cheap plastic switch turns in a speed of around 7 times faster than the built-in switch on the router.

So while the build isn't very impressive, but since the switch will spend all its life hiding under the desk, I don't really care. I highly recommend this as a cheap home alternative to the more expansive brands.