5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but brilliant
This is a cable that belies its very reasonable price. It is a good thickness and well shielded and has gold plated connections to resist corrosion. It is also of a decent length. It's connectors are nicely designed ergonomic wise.

Best of all it works faultlessly and promises a good working life due to its robust construction.

For £3.99 and free...
Published on 26 Oct. 2011 by Bordersboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Long cable...
This does exactly what I wanted, it's nice and long so I can connect my Samsung s3 up at night. However, it must have a higher resistance than my Samsung charger, as my phone takes a lot longer to charge. It's ok as I'm charging over night..
Published 18 months ago by Deepak K. Sharma

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but brilliant, 26 Oct. 2011

For £3.99 and free delivery a brilliant buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long cable..., 4 Sept. 2013
Deepak K. Sharma "deeps" (Warwick,UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need., 12 Jan. 2013
Kay (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I wanted a long cable as the one with my Samsung Galaxy S3 was far too short (and my proper - as in not a USB put in a plug - S2 charger barely charged it) I like to be able to mess around on my phone while it's charging but more importantly I use both Netflix & SkyGo and given they're both such battery drainers it was a pain having to stop the film/programme I was watching which I charged the battery up some.

I had intended just to buy a cheap USB cable but there were reviews stating that while they were fine for transferring data they wasn't powerful enough to charge a smart phone. Despite never owning any of Amazon's electronics and the quite high price for what is just a USB I decided to give it a go. In Amazon's defence though I am so used to paying, well nothing, for microUSB's as we have hundreds floating around the house that it could just be me.

The cable itself is very thick which I like as it doesn't get knotted and tangled in my bag the same way thinner ones do and it is plenty long. It charges my phone up in around the same time the cable that came with Samsung did which was a plus as I would've accepted and been happy with (slightly) longer charging time for the length of it.

I'm thinking of buying another one; one for charging at home and the other for the charger I carry around in my bag (as typically if I take it out to use at home, I then forget it and I am left charger-less while out and about!)

Some people have commented they don't last but frankly, if I get 3-6 months out of it then I will be quite happy. I am the mobile-phone-attached-to-your-hands-or-ear generation and I charge my S3 twice a day so it gets plenty of use. Possibly I have low expectations but I'm also of the generation where things are no longer built to last!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too resistive, needs redesigning., 8 Aug. 2014
I bought this to power my Nexus Wireless charger because the supplied cable was 10cm too short to reach where I wanted to place the charger.

The cable itself is very thick (about 7mm or so) and the connectors likewise. So much so in fact that I had to cut down the stupid chunky ends before they would even fit in the transformer and charging pad. This, annoyingly made the product nonreturnable even before I discovered its further shortcomings.

It will charge my Nexus 5 though I haven't used it for a full charge so I can't say whether it is slower than the standard cable. However, it won't power my wireless charger. Plugging it in just illuminates the fault warning led on the charger and internal circuitry keeps it switched off. The problem is that the cable offers far too much resistance and this renders it useless. I expected much better from Amazon and I'm disappointed by this product. It needs a ground up redesign in order to be fit for purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful alternative to the shorter cables often provided, 16 Mar. 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I find it annoying that many portable hard drives, DVD writers etc are often provided with data/power leads that are rarely longer than 45cm or 18 inches. This often requires that the device is located in a position that is often inconvenient. A longer lead, a metre would be perfect if available, allows more positioning options and possibly one considerably more convenient.

As many mobile phones, MP3 players and the like are similarly provided with short cables using the same connector, this can serve several devices, both for data transfer and also when charging.

A useful item, not over-expensive and of apparent good quality. It works and that is about all you can ask of it!

POSTSCRIPT
I had originally purchased one to use with a USB 1.0 portable hard drive where its 25cm lead was too short to reach behind the laptop I then used. I would then have preferred one of 0.6-0.9m but this was the only available choice. It solved that problem.

The microUSB connector is common to many phones and tablets and the cable could be used for data transfer between one such device and a PC, which is why I purchased another. I have used it with a Sony Xperia Z tablet for data transfer and it did that as well as the shorter original although the microUSB plug seemed less positive in its connection than Sony's lead. Because it was connected, I then used it to charge the tablet but I would NOT recommend it for regular charging; it is a data cable and, when used to charge, it needed more than twice as long as is normal and then only for a partial charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy long micro USB cable, 20 Oct. 2011
A cable is a cable, right? Wrong. This is a great cable. It's long, slightly over 1m80 and has the nice gold plated connectors. The micro USB connector is strong and 'clicks' nicely on your micro USB devices.
I can see this cable living a long life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cable, 14 Nov. 2013
S. Music (London, UK) - See all my reviews
There are some minor issues with amperage loss, but in my case (ordered 2 cables) these are only minor, and aren't really noticeable with my 2AMP phone charger, only with weaker, 0.5AMP PC USB sockets. But even there it will charge up the phone to the top.

What I wanted to stress, is that due to it's length and softness, this will not brake your phone's micro USB socket, and it will not end up spinning your phone around when you plug it in, like most shorter and harder cables do. You can comfortably have it plugged in while using your phone in bed etc.

Really good and not at all "basic" cable at a decent price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, 27 Feb. 2015
Mark Reid (Ayrshire, UK) - See all my reviews
One of the things you may find with modern USB-charged devices is that you need decent cables to get the full charge flowing through the device. For example, my Samsung Tab 2 and Tab 4 won't actually take a charge if it's through a generic cable that came with something like a rechargeable mouse, even though the connection is the same. The cables that come with them also tend to be too short for any practical use so having them plugged in to the wall and sitting on a sofa is generally not possible unless you have a socket directly beside the sofa.

I bought the USB cable along with the USB extension cable and was pleasantly surprised to see that both combined immediately allowed for the full charge to reach the Samsung tablets, so the Tab 2 could actually BE charged (it couldn't get a charge at all before unless I used a dedicated Samsung cable and wall adapter) and the Tab 4 charged in 50% of the time it took with the generic cables. Because it's also a decent enough cable to allow the trickle-charge, I'm also able to get an additional couple of hours from each charging cycle.

So far, I've used both cables combined to charge:
Samsung Tab 2
Samsung Tab 3
Samsung S5
KitSound Manhattan headphones
PlayStation 4 controller
BlackBerry Classic

All of which have charged perfectly, and have provided better battery performance than they did with generic non-branded cables.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Value For Money, 3 Sept. 2012
Contact materials should always be of similar metals. e.g. gold on gold or tin on tin. gold on tin is aways a problem. Keep that in mind when selecting cables. I've never seen gold USB connector shells anywhere apart from this cable, so the gold is a problem waiting to happen or just bling.

The 28 AWG wire in this product is adequate for data but not for powering/charging a phone. Yes, it works but it extends the charging time.

This cable is no better than the Asda/Tesco equivelents that retail for under £2.00 and do not have the disadvantage of gold connector shells. You can get three of these for the price of this cable. None of these cables is suitable for powering your Raspberry Pi.

Amazon have lost their way in the 'basics' department with this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for charging smart phone, 6 Aug. 2013
bengoey (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately I did not read other comments about this Amazon basics USB cable. When I tried to charge my Blackberry Z10 using Blackberry charger and this USB cable, there is a warning on the Blackberry Z10 that this cable is not able to deliver the normal charge. Amazon really should not sell this product as it is not fit for the purpose.