Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 January 2002
When I originally bought it in the 80's I had already heard the New York Dolls and most of Johnny Thunders solo albums. I was totally spell bound when I first heard this album. This is JT and an acoustic guitar - the songs are a mixture of NYDolls stuff (Lonely Planet Boy), covers (Eve of Destruction, Dylans Joey Joey) but with each one the feeling is so intense you can feel the emotion as if JT is right there sitting next to you. It is quite an overwhelming experience - particuarly for those who ever saw him. I purposefully don't play this album very often as I don't want it to lose its impact but I know every phrase of every song and this is one of the most emotional recordings I have ever heard. Rest in peace Johnny.
on 2 July 2013
A Johnny Thunders acoustic album? To be accurate, some of this material can easily be categorized as "demos," of some sort. And, there's plenty of older, recognizable compositions, from the Dolls' "Lonely Planet Boy" to Thunders' own, "You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory." But, JT must have been in some kind of "an acoustic phase" when he made these recordings in France in Oct/Nov 1983, as he also tackles two Dylan songs (albeit, one for just 20 seconds), along with the classic, "Eve Of Destruction." One fun cover is the obscure Keith Richards co-write with manager Andrew Loog Oldham, "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" - a tune given to one of The Loog's stable of unsuccessful acts (and which subsequently appeared on the Stones' odds & sods album, Metamorphosis).

We have all heard the Lurid Junkie stories a million times. (I remember seeing a few farcical shows when he was on the nod back in the day as well!). Yes, such things are probably best forgotten, but such is the potency of music that all manner of things become precious. As we get older our first friendships seem all the more vital, and this album definitely has that effect on me. Having said that I would definitely recommend anyone who didn't hear this music the first time round to give it a serious go. Hurt Me is his greatest album after LAMF and So Alone and shows his vulnerable side. Now with the Dingwalls show included and new liners from the Legendary Kris Needs you cant go wrong!
on 12 August 2013
At long last reissued on CD...beautiful, fragile reminder of Thunders' flawed genius. This is the man behind the streetwise bluster.
The additional live disc is welcome, but the ignorant boor given free rein to heckle (shame on the crowd) makes it all but unlistenable to those lucky enough to have seen Thunders in peace. You just want to throttle him. Tough being a legend.
on 23 April 2015
Johnny Thunders at his best!
on 4 December 2014