5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Audio 24/96 the future of HiFi
Published 7 months ago by PhilB

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of 5.1 Disapointing
Its a 5 for the title; I have always loved this album, but -1 for the delivery = a final score of 2. What a wasted opportunity to provide fans with some extra value - the 2 channel stereo mix, plus the 5.1 surround version. Was it cheap, lazy or just lacking imagination? In any case, what we are left with is just plain disapointing :-(
Published 10 months ago by Whisky Corner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Audio 24/96 the future of HiFi, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
Supertramp's Breakfast in America has some iconic songs on it made even better via Blu Ray Audio streaming at 24/96. I'm really pleased Amazon have embraced this format as it is an audiophile's dream. This disk has three listening formats LPCM Stereo DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD but all mastered in stereo staying true to the original recording. I am however not knocking the 5.1 remasters I have on other Blu Ray Audio disks they sound awesome done right. If you are running your Blu Ray player straight into your tv you will not get the advantage of this format. If however you are running 5.1 through a good surround AV Amp then be prepared to be blown away by the sound quality. To all you knockers of 24/96 who think that CD quality of 16/48 sounds as good then you really are missing out. When studios bring out a new format there are always people who say "we don't really need 24/96 CD's are plenty good enough" I say this if it were left to people like that we would still be listening to mono recordings. My ears aren't 100% but I can hear the difference, the bandwidth of a Blu Ray disk is massive compared to a CD. Come on Amazon you must have some clout in the market have a word and get them to release more rock titles etc. I really hope Blu Ray Audio goes ballistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome high fidelity 24/96 recording of this classic!! Blu ray audio is the wave of the future!, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
I have been searching for this blu ray audio disc forever!! It has been announced for awhile, but living here in the states blu ray audio has not quiet taken off (funny this is imported from the United States and Amazon US doesn't even list it). Since Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio faded fast here, I don't see Americans picking up on 24bit 96khz recordings anytime soon. Sad to see most of us satisfied with the old 16 bit format that is old as dirt. I am SO glad to see studios use the blu ray format as an audio only outlet. These recordings can sound fantastic just like SUPERTRAMP'S BREAKFAST IN AMERICA in the 24/96 realm. Even though I HIGHLY support multichannel surround sound, this two channel recording is awesome in every way!! I have been a fan of this recording since its 1979 release and this is simply amazing what they have done with this music. The highs are all here as are the low ends. My audio/video receiver allows for manipulation to make it matrix 7.1, but I choose to leave it in its original form because the two channel is so full in of itself.
I have only a few blu ray audio discs that I have ordered from Amazon UK and hope this format catches on. Once I discovered SACD and DVD-Audio recordings some years ago, I am hooked on these high end recordings.
If you are a Supertramp fan do your ears a favor by upgrading to this blu ray audio disc (and NO there is NO video content and you must have a blu ray player to enjoy).
Now if they would only release Supertramp's masterpiece CRIME OF THE CENTURY on blu ray audio. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully we've found the "new" format!!!, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
It always seems to me that we're chasing a "better" format. We've now been presented with Blu-ray Pure Audio. My opinion of this is that we may have hit on a format for the masses. I've got this example as well as the Rolling Stones "Grrrr". Although these are both 2 channel examples of audio only discs. To me, and I'm no expert, these are great recordings. The sound is so clear and every instrument can be picked out. I've got quite a few concert 5.1 blu-rays and I must say I'm even more impressed by the 5.1 audio. Now, like anything it depends on the people doing the recordings and mixing them. When they are good, "Oh My"' it's so nice! A lot of people enjoy picking recordings apart. Saying, "this is too much" or " this was not enough. Not me. I just love music and if it sounds good to me that's all that matters. So, if you're looking for a technical review, I'm probably not the person to come to. All I can say is so far, I really like this format. As far as "Breakfast in America" goes, there's a feeling that good music, sounding good gives you. I have that feeling!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars breakfast is superb, 3 Aug 2013
Bruce M. Garber (cincinnati oh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
the blu ray audio version is this album is superb. i have the remastered cd to compare it to. the blu ray is softier at the same volume setting on my receiver then the remastered cd. however one hears a airier quality to the blu ray disc as compared to the cd. by this i mean, the music seems to float in the air. on breakfast in america, theres a flute at least i think its a flute, it seems to float in the air above my front speakers, on the cd it is definately coming from the left channel. now if we can only get these blu ray audios released in 5.1 surround.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, but why in the name of all that is sacred only stereo?, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
The sound quality of this new format Supertramp release is wonderful, which just makes the lack of a 5.1 mix all the more heartbreaking. What a wasted opportunity!

The liner notes about this new format promise that releases will include 5.1 mixes wherever possible, and yet all but one so far don't. That can only be a result of laziness and cheapness on Universal's part. The line about protecting the authenticity of the original stereo mix is a feeble excuse.

You have to include a 2.0 mix of course, for those who don't like surround or only have two speakers, but there's more than enough room for both mixes on the discs (they currently hold three). The time and money it would take to get 5.1 mixes done is certainly not prohibitive and would make the whole enterprise ten times more worthwhile.

I really hope that Universal get with the programme soon. These first releases are reminiscent of the disappointing early Sony SACDs, whacked out as quickie 2.0 releases, while almost everyone who has invested in hi-res equipment is into surround sound, the mixes for which (by the likes of Elliot Scheiner) represent a thrilling new artform in themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars In my Opinion, one of the best Pop Albums, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
Postscript on 06 April 2014: after reading some comments about the Getz /Gilberto albums, I have to agree that you might be better off buying the CD, especially if you do not have a Bluray player already as a separate item or as Bluray player and the software to play the recordings integrated to your laptop or PC. The investment in new equipment and software might not be worth it as the 320kbps MP3 download sounds just as good to my ears and you can replay this format or the CD for that matter on all types of player or a computer. 10.50 was not too much for me to pay for the Bluray version but many of the other titles are much more expensive and are available on CD much cheaper.

If you cannot remember the late seventies then this one of the most played albums. Nearly everyone had a copy of the LP or the audio-cassette. LP was still king and in 1979 we were still waiting for CD players. Supertramp was being played everywhere; at your friend's house, on AM radio, on FM radio, on the telly and at the disco and nightclub. The music is great; it is very much jazz influenced and is a little bit symphonic. The musicians and music are great too and so are the lyrics. Breakfast In America has all the liveliness redolent of the USA but the music is very definitely European in style. Supertramp were big on the continent as well as the UK and USA.

I have an original 1979 copy of the LP. The record has survived the years very well and plays almost without surface noise and clicks and pops. I felt no need to buy the CD.

So why did I decide to buy the snazzy Blu Ray version and what was I expecting?

First of all, Blu Ray disc audio is a relatively new format and I thought I would give it a try.

I was expecting the best of pop music to be delivered at the highest quality of sound reproduction. I was expecting only two channel stereo as this was the original format of the music . I do not believe it was released in quadrosonic or quadrophonic four channel audio.

I was also expecting a high quality download either in 320 kbps MP3 or in Flac lossless audio.

I was not disappointed in the music as I am obviously a fan. I was impressed by the quality of the sound reproduction and the music came out of my speakers sounding far better than I had heard this music before from any source. If you go back to 1979 all music lovers had separate HIFI systems and the quality of the equipment varied considerably. None of the turntable sound reproduction that I can remember matches this version.

Why is this? It is not because the delivery mechanism is "HIRES" 24 bit / 96 KHz ( 24/96) but it is because it has been mastered so well and the music retains the dynamic range of the original recordings. The audio has not been compressed and you are hearing the music as it was originally intended. 24/96 is great for digital recording and manipulation of the master recording in the studio but for general distribution 16 bit/44.1 KHz recordings or CD quality is plenty good enough.

I played the Blu Ray disc through my player which is connected to an amplifier via audio line outputs and the music sounded fantastic. But so did the 320 kbps MP3 download, which came with the package, when I played it back through the USB interface on the same player. Some of the MP3 tracks are from different masters and you can hear this difference. But the others sound the same. I also cut a CD from the MP3 and played this back through my Blu Ray player with similar results. The 320 kbps sounds as good as the "HIRES" but this is no real surprise - read on.

Then I connected the Blu Ray player to my HIFI Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC). The Blu Ray player optical digital output re-samples the music to 24 bit 48 Khz. You might expect a reduction in quality but quite the reverse. My HIFI DAC reproduces music better than the DAC in the Blu Ray player.

If you are expecting HIFI nirvana from 24/96 or 24/192 "HIRES" music than you will be disappointed. No-one has been proven to tell the difference between "HIRES" 24/96, 24/192 or SACD sound reproduction and 16/bit/44.1 CD quality when all other parameters are equal - including the same master recording and audio reproduction equipment at the same volume. I cannot do this nor can any of my friends.

Of course, some people may be able to do so and the journalist Justin Colletti would like to hear from you to try a scientific double blind test and find out if and why anyone is able to hear a difference. Type this into google search: Think You Have Golden Ears? Take the Scientist Challenge! The results could be used to make HIFI sound better for all of us.

Lastly, I played the LP record and it sounds almost as good as the Blu Ray and the download but I could hear a little bit of extra harmonic distortion but that is to be expected after all those years.

I am not knocking 24/96 music; the sound quality is excellent and if this is the only way that music fans can get hold of uncompressed music, which is very well mastered, then I am all in favour of it.

I hope Blu Ray disc audio is going to be successful and will take off, especially as you have the opportunity to download a 320 Kbps MP3 too. A third of households in the UK have a Blu ray player so you do not have to buy a specialised player and you can play the audio back through a high quality AV system or through a conventional HIFI.

At 10.50 Breakfast In America on Blu Ray audio represents excellent value for money and it arrived quickly from Canada. I recommend this highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something which I hope will be released more often, 27 Feb 2014
J. Mooijer "Jacco Mooijer" (KL, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
Absolutely superb sound quality!. This is something which should be exercized with many more titles and great artists of the past!

Crystal clear, transparent and depth offering soundstage. Amazing what this resolution offers given the original recording was made several decades ago. Would like to see more Supertramp titles released in this format. It is like takign off the sleeping bag from the speakers you are listening to. Quality music (one of the best albums of the band) deserves nothing less than this BluRay Audio release or the SACD for that matter. For audiophile Supertramp fans a definite buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a Jumbo, 24 Jan 2014
R. Angel "newangel9" (civic, act Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
A very bold move on behalf of Universal Music to release classic albums such as this on Blu Ray audio considering the relative mass market failure of similiar previous high end audiophile formats in DVD Audio and SACD.The market for Blu Ray Audio will be basically the same.Mostly customers with high quality sound systems who also enjoy surround sound which unfortunately this disc is not.

For those who already have a CD remaster of `Breakfast In America' like myself and are deciding whether it is worth the money to purchase this I would say yes order it .I listened to both back to back to see if in fact I had wasted my cash but the Blu Ray Audio version definitely has the edge.Smoother and more spacious sounding and a tighter,deeper bass but all in balance.

Now for the lack of surround issue..those who are happy with stereo can stop reading now.Some albums should definitely stay as stereo because surround will bring nothing new to the listener and sometimes just sound plain wrong but Supertramp albums just scream out to be mixed in surround.It would lift this album from just sounding great to absolutely perfect and it's not even my favourite Supertramp album.If they consider releasing `Crime of the Century' on Blu Ray I hope they take note of customer feedback and spend a bit of money having it remixed because I'm sure it will sell a lot more copies than just stereo.They do say on the inside cover that `where possible tracks will be available in 5.1 surround but to pay respect to the original material this is not always possible.Interesting terminology but not relevant in this case.

So it is an improvement to all previous disc versions and sounds wonderful but if you have a turntable it might be worth finding a vinyl copy for a comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality., 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
I thought I would try this out having both CD and Vinyl versions.
Very supprised at the sound quality of this new format with quite a few I have never heard
that before moments. Can't wait to get my hands on some more titles now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)
More could've been done with this album. It would've sounded better in 24/192 rather than the present format. This album is also suitable for 5.1 surround. All in all this is a great album from Supertramp. Blu ray Audio could very well be the future.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Breakfast In America
Breakfast In America (Blu-ray Audio)