5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant
Bought this to replace an 11 inch ASUS which I just couldn't get on with (see previous review). Did a lot of research and plodding around PC World before taking the plunge. Glad I did as this is a great PC.

Published 21 months ago by M Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Wish I read the earlier review properly.

Published 20 months ago by Eidlog

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Samsung NP740U3E-S04UK 13.3-inch Notebook (Intel core i5 1.8GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Windows 8 Professional) (Personal Computers)

It comes with Windows 8 Pro which I'm still getting used to but am actually starting to enjoy now. The touch screen is great and works very smoothly although due to the superb HD display the lettering can be fairly small so whilst it's lovely for the Apps etc I would recommend you still use a mouse for normal work. I use my Microsoft bluetooth mouse (see previous review) and it's great.

Boot up time to Windows from pressing the power button is about 5 seconds!!

Only thing to note is that 128 GB for the SSD isn't all that big especially as you lose about 22GB for the recovery partition. I've upgraded it to a 250 gb one and everything's fine. If you do upgrade just make sure you note that it's an mSATA drive rather than a standard SATA. The ASUS whilst smaller (11 inch) had a standard SATA so this caught me out.

Another thing to note is that it came down to buying it either from John Lewis or Amazon. The specs were pretty much identical. The JL price was slightly cheaper and came with their usual 2 year warranty. However their product number was the S02UK whilst the Amazon one is the S04UK. At the moment if you register the S04UK on the Samsung Offers website you get a free 5 year warranty so this was the deal breaker for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 July 2013
Wish I read the earlier review properly.

A lovely looking piece of Samsung engineering, but not for me. I am in the process of returning mine to Amazon. The SSD is far too small. Windows 8, MS Office Pro, and one online MMORPG left me with about 20GB of free space. Performance overall was not bad, but not up to what I expected from the spec. Relatively benign graphics tasks left the display stuttering. WiFi conections kept on dropping, and seemed to take ages to re-acquire.

Power management seemed below par, and I found myself keeping the notebook on charge longer than I thought would have been necessary. The power cord attachment is via a rather slender pin mating with a port at the rear left corner. I snagged it a couple of times, and was getting worried that it could easily snap.

Finally, Windows 8 is definitely not for me.

In conclusion, I wasn't prepared to persevere, and decided to make use of Amazon's excellent returns policy. Not a bad product by any means, but not worth the cost IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars top little laptop, 10 Dec. 2013
I did my research before buying this. I didn't get it here, there was a deal for 699 at John Lewis. I was tempted to go for something with Haswell inside, but new tech means reduced cost older tech. Was also considering a Mac Air, my partner has one and it seems to do the trick. Dearer though, even with a student discount. And actually the screen is nowhere near as good.

Pro's:
+ Great screen, visa and photo's look great.
+Fast start-up
+Good size
+Graphics chip helps with certain apps
+6GB, That amount above 4 really makes a difference.
+ Nippy
+Good fast touch screen

MMMMM?

Win 8 is largely pointless on a laptop, the tiles just aren't useful. It really needs a good productivity plugin that people using a laptop, ie word,email, etc would use, rather than some trendy looking phone tiles. And don't get me wrong, I like windows phone, I have one, it's just a bit like tits on a boar on a laptop. It's not a negative because you don't have to use it.

Battery. This isn't a negative, but it is useable, just not inspiring. But with the processor power and HD screen that's not surprising. If I'm working with normal daily apps on power save I can get seven hours out of it.

128GB HD, again not a negative, because if you buy one not knowing it's small you're a dope. It's very easily expandable via SD card. I picked a 64gb one up for £30, works brilliantly.

Cons:
Relates to the SD card. It's the only design fault I could find. There is a stupid plastic cover which hangs limply when a card is in and is easy to break off. Not that that would matter. And the SD card protrudes. Annoying if you want to keep it in there as permanent storage.My last laptop, a much cheaper ASus had a slot that took the whole card, with a spring mechanism to eject.

The Wi-fi is a bit unpredictable. Largely it's fine, but once in a while it just drops out. Maybe once a week, and the trouble shooter fixes it in a minute or so.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 5 Feb. 2015
Issues with loading windows 8.1 NOT compatable at all!!!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Laptop but it has fundamental problems, 16 Jan. 2014
I got a good deal on this laptop, it's very nice looking and is a much better deal than buying similarly priced laptops in terms of specs (full HD screen, SSD, discrete graphics card).

However:

The WiFi is very patchy... it dropped all the time. It took me a couple of hours searching on forums to solve the issue by tweaking the power settings. Because I changed so many settings, I still don't know what I did that fixed the problem.

Windows 8 is a mixed bag. I downloaded a program that restored the start button and allowed me to boot into desktop mode. Windows 8 is very confusing when it comes to settings: similar settings seem to reside in different places. The Metro interface is nice but pretty pointless on a laptop.

Updating to Windows 8.1 almost bricked the computer. When I booted after the update I got a blank screen, I had to search forums on my mobile to figure out how to restore Windows 8. Microsoft is still giving me prompts to update (which I ignore) despite serious driver incompatabilities with this computer.

Samsung are NOTORIOUS, I discovered from forums, for neglecting devices once they are released. It's now January 2014 and I still can't update to Windows 8.1 without some functions breaking.

In short, this computer is pretty good if you fix the Wi-Fi and stick with Windows 8, but Samsung is just awful. If you're a computer novice, I would buy a more reliable brand like ASUS or Apple.