4.0 out of 5 stars Justop Android 4.2 Smart TV Box 'Droibox Ace'
Published 18 months ago by Val Biggs

3.0 out of 5 stars It works but -
it is very tricky to use. Controlling it with the remote control supplied was very tricky and frankly not really worth the bother. When I got a wireless keyboard to go with it things improved and I suppose I can say that it is a useful addition to my options re TV watching, but be warned, don't buy it without budgeting for a keyboard.
Published 8 months ago by J. N. Melone

4.0 out of 5 stars Justop Android 4.2 Smart TV Box 'Droibox Ace', 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: JUSTOP Android 4.2 Smart TV Box ' Droibox Ace ' Bluetooth Edition , Jelly Bean OS, Allwinner A20 Dual Core CPU, 3D Graphics HD IPTV Player Mini PC Smart Google HD Player TV , Skype , Facebook , Android Games (Electronics)
Great little TV Internet box! Connects effortlessly to my wireless network, and is pretty fast to load web pages too. Initially I could not download the Facebook, BBC Media Player and BBC I Player apps from the Google Play store, as it told me that the apps were incompatible with this device. However, after an email back to PC Robin, they responded extremely quickly, and supplied me with new firmware, and instructions to update. Now that the firmware has been updated, all the apps I wanted are working well. I can now view video via BBC I Player, TV Catchup, FilmOn and You tube, and can access Facebook via the app. I have also loaded the Dolphin web browser, which works well with this device. Note, the remote control is pretty useless for navigating around the screen, so I only use this to power the box on/off. To navigate, I have purchased a Sumvision wireless keyboard and wireless mouse set (for just over £12), and this works superbly. :-) This keyboard and mouse are also compatible with my Android tablet and my Windows Vista laptop. The box also works with a wired mouse connected to one of the USB ports, but you will need to buy a USB extender cable, unless you are happy to sit quite close to the box.

I have now had the box for three weeks, and despite the initial teething problems, which PC Robin have now resolved with the new firmware, the box is so far working a treat! I would also like to say that the customer service supplied by PC Robin is excellent. They responded very quickly by email to all my queries, and the product is guaranteed for replacement and / repair for 12 months from receipt. For less than £50, you can't go wrong! PC Robin have also informed me, that they are now loading the new firmware on all boxes before they are sent out, so you should not have to update this yourself, as I had to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow -- looks plastic -- but is actually really good, 9 Dec 2013
Jeminar "Jeminar" (Watford, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Wasn't expecting much from this, and I've really liked it.

Pros:
* It works -- yes -- it's just like a tablet (except, of course, you can't multitouch, pinch, etc)
* It has HDMI video out which really works, and delivers better than bluray
* It has Optical Audio out -- which really does work well. I direct the optical audio straight into the soundbar
* It has 4 USB ports
* It takes a standard USB PC webcam -- giving you sound and video for Skype
* It takes any external HDD -- even TB ones
* It has DNLA to read from my computer
* It doesn't seem to crash. I just leave it on. I'm not sure if I've even turned it off in 2 months.
* BBC iPlayer, NetFlix, TuneIn Radio, di.fm -- all work great
* It's totally silent.
* It's played any movie file format I've thrown at it so far.

Downsides:
* Like other reviewers, wifi seemed lacklustre. Didn't affect me as I plugged in an RJ45
* NetFlix progress bar seems to disappear as soon as it arrives. From forums, this seems to be a specific NetFlix and Justop Droibox issue. You get used to it, but it's not elegant.
* It's not multitouch (as you'd expect). Some apps which need pinch etc won't work. It's not an awesome gaming device when you're using a wireless mouse/keyboard.
* Some other apps claim to be incompatible -- none that I can remember that mattered to me, but I remember wondering why
* it looks ugly: but that's OK -- it's so stable, you don't ever need to touch it or look at it -- the remote sensor is even on a wire so that you can have that sticking out if you needed to.

I highly recommend this simple box as very flexible replacement for just about every other video box you might have cluttering up your TV space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Box but do not expect XBMC goodness, 7 Oct 2013
This is a cracking little media player and does exactly what it says on the tin. It will handle
most if not all media file types and set up is a breeze. Wireless and Bluetooth work as they should
and the 4 USB ports are more than sufficient.
The supplied remote is not as bad as some of the reviews
make out as a media centre remote it is perfect and the response time after a button has been pressed is more
than adequate. So why only 3 stars.. first off this box does not support XBMC for android as the Allwinner A20
chip can not hardware decode HD files and as a result video playback is at about 2-3 frames a second totally unwatchable. There is an unofficial version of XBMC for android that uses 3rd party video player to decode the
video but what's the point of that and a lot of the time it does not work and crashes/locks the box.
Another gripe and why only 3 stars, this box is meant to be able to decode FLAC files natively but that also required a 3rd party player d/loaded from Google Play. If all you want is to dip your toe in to the world of android and turn your TV in to a smart TV then this box is for you, if however you want to scratch below the surface than this box is best avoided.. if you plan on using XBMC then look elsewhere as the Allwinner A20 chip in this box will not work and there are no plans to support it either.. very disappointing and wish I had known that before I bought it as the information on the justop forum is wrong and misleading.

04/12/13
I have updated to the latest firmware and I have to be honest its a big improvement over last firmware. XBMC now works as it should and it appears that they have managed to shoehorn the Allwinner chip in to decoding HD sources with the help of a vidon.me version of XBMC so all is good there. so credit where credit is due they have addressed the XBMC issue so its only fair that I change my score from 3* to 4*

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool really good, 28 Jun 2013
The Droibox ACE Android Smart TV Box performs really well over WiFi the HDMI quality is sharp. Having extra ports USB etc is very useful. The remote control can fully control Media apps, also big plus , can be by as a mouse - setting up is simple - tip use a usb keyboard and mouse to firstly set it up, it's quicker; after which use the remote and play. I purchased it from PC Robin, they have provided a great service highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little setup and all is fine..., 18 July 2013
18/07/2013

Bought this a little while ago. The original firmware had a few issues but a quick visit to the JUSTOP forums and a download to an SDCARD later and this is a great little box!

I use it for Netflix, Spotify and BBC IPlayer. There's been some issues with all of these apps in the past on this box, but it's mainly down to the fact that the app programmers hadn't updated them for Android 4.2 yet!

The Netflix app has had some issues, HD resolution appears to be limited and also on this box the UI controls sometimes disappear when needed! This AGAIN is an APP programming issue experienced on many Android devices - tablets, phones and tv boxes... It seems that Netflix are becoming aware of the issues and are in the process of fixing them.

Spotify previously wouldn't get past sign-in for me, but now does just fine since the firmware update. A real pleasure to use.

Currently I personally don't use the BBC IPlayer app and favour the website instead, as the resolution available on the app is decidedly SD (again, not the box's fault - it's the app!) The website however allows proper HD playback here.

Any negative reviews here are quite possibly just down to issues with Android 4.2.2 in general and not really down to any flaw in this particular hardware. It's a good unit for the price and is getting better all the time with the app updates.

The supplier has been EXTREMELY responsive and active in addressing anyone's issues via the amazon support and the forum website. Very happy with them for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, 12 Jun 2013
Only fault with this product to stop it getting 5 stars is the user manual is a waste of time
It is practically unreadable, with no details of setup, screenshots are very poor.
You are left to work it out by trial and error.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks cheap but works OK, 8 Aug 2013
Alright, don't expect Apple-like finish, this box looks and feels really cheap. But the hardware works just fine and operating system is stable so I gave it 4*. I use with the small TV in the bedroom upstairs, streaming BBC iPlayer from the internet or TV channels from my VU+ Solo2 satellite tuner downstairs. Streaming via UPNP from my Mediatomb server works just fine. I also like abundance of USB slots, meaning you can hook up mouse, keyboard and whatever you like. Becasue I don't store any media on local storage the relatively small internal storage dosn't bother me too much.
Why this particular box? It has Ethernet slot and I've experienced some poor WIFI reception with different devices, affecting streaming badly.
Overall, I'm happy with, it does exactly what I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars great little box, 21 July 2013
the box is absolutely fine ,delivery was superb but the installation instructions are very poor,the remote is only just adequate

4.0 out of 5 stars Works ok, 13 Jun 2013
As the reviewer below has said the remote and manual are rubbish. I had no problem setting it up, but beware when putting the sd card there are no guides so you could loose it in side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Nice tv box everyone should have one