5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read
This is the second book in a three part series which started with Pines. Although it is not necessary to have read Pines first, it will help, but I think it will be necessary to have read this book at least before reading the third book in the series, when that is released.

Published 19 months ago by ElaineG

3.0 out of 5 stars ironically addictive
I had already read the first book in the series and was curious to see what lay in store for Ethan. Must say i find the whole plot line a bit far-fetched but paradoxically it is a page-turner. And everyone loves a rebel, right?!
Published 18 months ago by Jane Harkess

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 19 Sept. 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

It is very hard to categorise this book - part horror, part science fiction, part dystopian, part conspiracy read. If you like your horror set in small town America then this read really should be right up your street. I have seen it likened to Twin Peaks and Twilight Zone and if you throw The Prisoner, Stepford and The Walking Dead into the mix, then that should give you an idea of the sort of read you are going to get.

I found it very gripping and addictive, with a really good well thought out storyline. One word of caution - this read does end on a cliffhanger, so if you like your stories all nicely wrapped up at the end, then this may not be the read for you. Personally I am now really looking forward to the next in the series and I understand that Fox TV are turning it into a serial, so that is something that will be well worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars great follow up, 22 Sept. 2013
This is a great 2nd part to what I'm guessing will be a trilogy. Sometimes middle books are fillers, but not this one which combines a murder mystery with the continuing revelations of the post-apocolyptic world created in the first book in the series. It also fills in some more of the backstory for key characters and introduces more insight into the 'abbies', laying foundations for how these creatures might develop in the next in the series
I devoured this in a day and can't wait for the 3rd installment.

Read Pines first if you haven't read this.
And if you have read Pines read Wayward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading, 5 July 2014
Pete F. (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
After having read and really enjoyed 'Pines' (the first book in this series) I was looking forward to reading this book. It picks up the story from where it left off in book one and was every bit as engrossing. I don't remember when I last read fiction books so avidly - I usually read more factual or technical titles. I am now going to have to buy 'The Last Town' (book three in the series) in order to read the rest of the story. I would thoroughly recommend these books to anyone that enjoys a bit of escapism that's not too heavy a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars ironically addictive, 5 Nov. 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 13 Mar. 2014
This book is ridiculous ! Although I read it to the end I have no intention of reading any more of these books.
The story, if there is a story revolves around a town where the people have just woken up after nearly 2000 years and they find that the world has changed. I read the whole story but I must say that I lost interest about a quarter of the way in, but I did finish it in case it got better.
Perhaps I am just not tuned in to this type of story but I did not like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of a Story, 9 Jan. 2015
A disappointing sequel. The first novel in the series was frustrating but did set up a great story world. This second novel could have done so much with it but the whole thing remains stuck in the one location and drags out one inevitable story line.

The characterisation is poor. The hero is an idiot, showing no kind of emotional depth, nor morality, nor any intellect whatsoever. He is supposed to be a trained soldier and secret service man, who has just been given access to a Sheriff's office full of weapons. He would never acquiesce with the plan of the insane scientist; he would start taking the lie apart from the beginning; take over the mountain base (all the other guards are simply homeless people who were offered a second chance); he certainly wouldn't go the risky, illogical way he ends up going. In the whole two books he didn't win one single fight. It was a challenge for him to land a punch; he got attacked and was severely injured in pretty much every other chapter; and he spent the whole second novel opting not to carry a gun.

It's all designed so the author can have the situation he wants to write about, rather than because it would actually happen, or makes any logical sense.

The writing, as with the first novel, is irritating - just a succession of abbreviated sentences that are skimmed past. They don't create excitement or an engaging sense of pace - just a shallowness and lack of reality.

I won't be reading the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wayward Pines book 2, 5 July 2014
When I started to read the first book I nearly gave up. But, something kept me hooked. I had to buy book 2, now I have to buy book 3. 'nuf said' as we say in Salford.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will keep you glued, 19 Jan. 2014
Ajoobacats "Ajooba Cats" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We get a more detailed glimpse into Wayward Pines in this well paced sequel. Add in a murder and the book is too interesting to put down. It's not often a sequel surpasses the first book in a series but this one definitely does and I am in total suspense for the next book to become available.

Crouch knows how to tell a story and keep you at the edge of your seat. I cannot recommend this series enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - I've ordered the third one which should ..., 3 July 2014
Brilliant book - I've ordered the third one which should be with me mid July - I recommend all of the Wayward Pines books!

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book was great and the greatness continues into book 2, 25 Jan. 2014
C. Winterburn (Wakefield, UK) - See all my reviews
without writing any spoilers for anyone who hasn't read this or the first book, all I'll say is that it is just as gripping as the first, just as sinister and you can never be too sure which side anyone is on. I can't wait for the third book which I think is due out in June.

If you like a good mystery with a twist with a bit of sci-fi added in for good measure then this series of books could be for you.