5.0 out of 5 stars Fire and brimstone
All Sigur Rós's music is a soundtrack to the Icelandic landscape. Their new album, Kveikur, does the volcanoes. The record opens with the thunderous bass line of Brennisteinn ('Brimstone'), a pyroclastic flow of a song: a percussive, aggressive statement of intent. The pace, intensity and sheer loudness of this opener is sustained throughout the album. It's a real...
Published 19 months ago by Jonathan Birch

3.0 out of 5 stars A misplaced hodge-podge? Or a pre-emptive greatest hits?
I have been greatly anticipating the latest release from "Iceland's greatest export since Bjork" (as they are often undermined as... and that's coming as a Bjork fan)! To that end, I should begin on a positive note: Kveikur certainly surpasses their last offering Valtari, but sadly fairs badly against their previous offerings.

As suggested in the title (of my...
Published 19 months ago by Owen.Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Kveikur, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
Well well .... you have to hand it to them, yet again they have pulled it off. This band never fail to surprise me, they consistently exceed all expectations with everything they release.

Sigur Ros are an amazing band. Having built their fan base on beautiful heaven like delicately crafted tunes to then turn to the dark side is ridiculously brave. Well done Jonsi, Geog & Orri.

Sigur Ros are the only band to produced music that have reduced me to tears (in a good way), so I'm really taken back by how incredible I found this new direction. Gone with the heart string tugging emotional soundtrack to unmade melancholic movies and replaced with a fresh new super sonic assault (with a slight dash of old to address the heavy toned balance).

I've been a fan of Sigur Ros since day one and have seen them seamlessly evolve over the years. Sigur Ros have produced the soundtrack to the previous 15 years of my life and I always get nervous when they release something new. Last years, some say timid Valtari divided onion but for me was a very worthy edition to the now Icelandic trio's stunning back catalogue. Now just 12 months later, Kveikur confidently explodes out of nowhere, kicking, screaming and shouts aloud that Sigur Ros are back, better than ever and crikey have they discovered attitude! If Valtari was Enya then Kveikur is Metallica.

When Kjartan Sveinsson exited the band last year to try something different, fans got worried, me too, but fear not, the trio have made something truly remarkably special here. You could argue that Sveinsson brought the classical element to the band. Kveikur has no classic elements to it. Maybe that's their point. A new line up comes with it a new approach.

(Having said that I really do hope that Sveinsson rejoin's them again at some point)

If you like Sigur Ros, chances are you have already read a track by track review about how industrial, loud, beautiful and otherworldly it all sounds. So I wont bore you. I can never describe music by Sigur Ros elegantly enough anyway. If you like Sigur Ros, get this album. Kveikur is epic, flawless and astonishing.

Sigur Ros really are something to cherish. I usually feel envy over people who have not yet experience them, I only wish I could hear them again for the first time like I did back in the late 90's and remembering how my musical taste changed after listening to just one album and all their albums since. No 'post rock' band will ever touch them. In fact no other band will match their brilliance, elegance, grace and continued impeccable quality.

Kveikur is staggeringly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kveikur (or "Kindle" in English) for the fire in the belly of the Sigur Ros group, 29 Sept. 2013
Sáss Alæssí (Congleton. Cheshire East, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kveikur (MP3 Download)
It's getting harder and harder to find increasing superlatives to describe their music. Every review I'm using words such as beautiful, classic, stunning, breathtaking, magical, fantastical ... now here we are once again and yet once again, those words are the ones I choose to describe them and their music. I just never tire of their music. I'm sure they've been blessed with sprite magic or something because with each tune they continue to grow. I must admit to a huge level of pride though. Being an Icelander makes one very happy knowing our tiny island is having this effect on the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Now!, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
Breathtaking! A lot heavier than Takk era, but clearly an LP they've been wanting to make for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Nov. 2014
P. M. Kielty - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
just so good more upbeat than the previous offering valtari neanerthal beauty classy buy it

3.0 out of 5 stars A misplaced hodge-podge? Or a pre-emptive greatest hits?, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)

As suggested in the title (of my review), the album comes across as a hodge-podge of their various styles, with little to suggest an over riding theme. In this sense it sounds like a greatest hits album (woe be the day when such a thing exists, could that work?): all the styles we've come to love as fans are there, however in this offering they are juxtaposed together, rather than individually taking pride of place.

Kveikur is not bad, don't get me wrong. As others have already noted, Isjaki is a superbly uplifting number, however if I wanted uplifting I'd turn to Jonsi's solo offering: Go.

In all, if you're already a Sigur Ros fan, you'll want to buy this and you will enjoy it... as I did... however chances are it won't become one of your favourites. If you're new to the band, I'd suggest starting elsewhere: yes there'll be a few out there who would consider this their break away album... but that's probably equal in number to those that think Ummagumma is Pink Floyd's greatest album.

Don't get me wrong: it's good, but not superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sigus Ros go progressive, 13 Dec. 2013
Derek Halden - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
Sigus Ros always sounded a bit like the prog rock band Yes but this offering puts them centre stage as the leaders of the new progressives. It is much less post rock than their previous offerings and those that like 'prog' better than 'post' will like this album best. In reality there probably never was a distinction and this album closes the gap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on your pov, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
I really liked this group when they first appeared and have tried most of their albums since... but then stopped because I grew tired of the emotive wailing that means too little unless you're stuck in a teenage angst outlook... So, the album is fine and will please fans but if you've moved on a bit (or, as in my case, just got too damn old for that kind of thing), maybe it won't seem as wow as it could. I'd really, really like it, though, if SR could put out a music-only cd - their music without the voice-thing is still wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (MP3 Download)
Kveikur is a darker and heavier album from Sigur Rós. At first, I was intrigued by the contrast in sound especially arriving after the softer ambience of Valtari. However, like a number of their records I feel it has that great ability to not only grow on you but increasingly move you. Kveikur translates as 'candle wick' arguably connoting the band's melodic and brighter ambient side moving into dangerous and darker new territories. The band balance sinister bass, gritty guitar and thumping drums (reminds me of () album in places) with light orchestral strings, cold echoing keys, synth and organs, and not forgetting Jonsi's profoundly distressed yet harmonious vocals not lacking in emotion. It's not their most upbeat record but a distinctly edgier ambient, anthemic soundtrack. It's absolutely worth a listen as there are familiar elements to previous works alongside the new challenging darker sound they pull off brilliantly, making it a very enjoyable listen. May be a slow burner for some but it's a record that will keep burning brightly.

3.0 out of 5 stars having to flip/change the record more often than I would like, 29 Jan. 2014
Paul (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a good album.

On vinyl , there are an average of 2 songs per side , and the songs aren't super long so it means having to flip/change the record more often than I would like.

4.0 out of 5 stars KVEIKUR, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
A good album but a prefer their first Album. I will play it as it is good, I think I am not so blown away as I was when I first heard Sigur Ros that lovely haunting voice!

Kveikur
Kveikur by Sigur Rós (Audio CD - 2013)