Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 October 2013
I've got nothing against ambient music. From Eno on, various cds have captivated me over the years. However, after the work of stunning genius that was Agaetis Byrjun, a piece of music that was so rhythmic, melodic and emotionally charged that for a good six months I listened to little else, their follow-up cds disappointed. () was ok. Takk, to these ears, a little better. But after that, they kind of lost me, with Valtari's noodly somnabulism making it my least favourite Sigur Ros album.

Kveikur is, for me, a blistering return to form. The crashing opener, Brennisteinn, and title track, Kveikur, are masterpieces of layered sound that build and build. And if there is a more beautiful song than Hrafntinna around this year, I haven't heard it. From a simple verse, it develops into an anthemic swirl of wonderfully harmonizing voices and instrumentation that makes my heart leap every time I hear it building up to its euphoric climax.

I saw Sigur Ros headlining at this year's End of the Road festival on a cold clear night beneath the stars. I've been going to see live music for decades, and this performance was one of the most sensational I have ever witnessed. Not everyone liked them. Friends I was with wandered off after a couple of songs. Gradually the crowd consisted only of those who 'got it'. By the end of the set, there was laughter, tears and odd displays of strangers hugging one another. And each time I listen to Kveikur it evokes the atmosphere of that gig. I am totally in awe of this astounding group and, in particular, their latest album. Absolutely stunning.
on 17 June 2013
Well well .... you have to hand it to them, yet again they have pulled it off. This band never fail to surprise me, they consistently exceed all expectations with everything they release.

Sigur Ros are an amazing band. Having built their fan base on beautiful heaven like delicately crafted tunes to then turn to the dark side is ridiculously brave. Well done Jonsi, Geog & Orri.

Sigur Ros are the only band to produced music that have reduced me to tears (in a good way), so I'm really taken back by how incredible I found this new direction. Gone with the heart string tugging emotional soundtrack to unmade melancholic movies and replaced with a fresh new super sonic assault (with a slight dash of old to address the heavy toned balance).

I've been a fan of Sigur Ros since day one and have seen them seamlessly evolve over the years. Sigur Ros have produced the soundtrack to the previous 15 years of my life and I always get nervous when they release something new. Last years, some say timid Valtari divided onion but for me was a very worthy edition to the now Icelandic trio's stunning back catalogue. Now just 12 months later, Kveikur confidently explodes out of nowhere, kicking, screaming and shouts aloud that Sigur Ros are back, better than ever and crikey have they discovered attitude! If Valtari was Enya then Kveikur is Metallica.

When Kjartan Sveinsson exited the band last year to try something different, fans got worried, me too, but fear not, the trio have made something truly remarkably special here. You could argue that Sveinsson brought the classical element to the band. Kveikur has no classic elements to it. Maybe that's their point. A new line up comes with it a new approach.

(Having said that I really do hope that Sveinsson rejoin's them again at some point)

If you like Sigur Ros, chances are you have already read a track by track review about how industrial, loud, beautiful and otherworldly it all sounds. So I wont bore you. I can never describe music by Sigur Ros elegantly enough anyway. If you like Sigur Ros, get this album. Kveikur is epic, flawless and astonishing.

Sigur Ros really are something to cherish. I usually feel envy over people who have not yet experience them, I only wish I could hear them again for the first time like I did back in the late 90's and remembering how my musical taste changed after listening to just one album and all their albums since. No 'post rock' band will ever touch them. In fact no other band will match their brilliance, elegance, grace and continued impeccable quality.

Kveikur is staggeringly good.
66 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2014
Hmm, I like their music but this is not what I was expecting as should have done a little more research. I am now told that their first album is thought of as their best so I will now buy that. Great Icelandic band though with atmospheric music.
on 18 November 2015
Amazing design. Although they changed a little in this album, it remained so good and intense just as the others. The vocal and instrumental are well combined, with heavy distortions and a beautiful harmony.
on 29 September 2013
It's getting harder and harder to find increasing superlatives to describe their music. Every review I'm using words such as beautiful, classic, stunning, breathtaking, magical, fantastical ... now here we are once again and yet once again, those words are the ones I choose to describe them and their music. I just never tire of their music. I'm sure they've been blessed with sprite magic or something because with each tune they continue to grow. I must admit to a huge level of pride though. Being an Icelander makes one very happy knowing our tiny island is having this effect on the world.
on 8 August 2013
i'll be very short. This is great album. I was worried when they lost a well loved member of the band, but they did deliver and the sound + songs is simply awesome.
on 17 April 2014
It's Sigur Ros, but not as you know it. Gone is the Icelandic ambience music of Valtari, and in is an urban, or maybe volcanic grittiness. Simply brilliant.
on 8 February 2014
I heard this on Radio 6 and thought it would be good to buy it.Consisitent tracks wuth unusual beats and vocals.Will look out for next album soon
on 17 March 2015
Dark and brooding this time. More akin to their very early work. The lads from Iceland are definitely back (not that they ever went away!)
on 11 October 2015
Sigur Rós return slimmed down with a bigger sound. Darkness and blinding light. Burning and iceburgs. What more could you want?