5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me interested to the end
Published 11 months ago by M. Hellen

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time...
Good idea, dreadful book. It was unreadable - badly written, stereotype flat bloody annoying characters. I hated Kurt - he was just obnoxious as was Amos. I made it about half way through then deleted it from my Kindle. I know it has glowing reviews, buy don't waste your time.
Published 7 days ago by Michele Collins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me interested to the end, 30 May 2014
M. Hellen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent book which looks at the subject of our increasing reliance on technology and our ambivalence towards the privacy we are giving away and the amount of control we are giving to large corporations in the name of convenience and social networking. The book is realistic enough to not have to suspend disbelief, following ideas that are already around to their possible conclusions and coming up with something that is frightening not just in what happens, but in that we are likely to embrace it with glee as we embrace so many new things that allow us to have our data sold on or things such as a company like Amazon having the potential to control what we can and can't read. The author is on the ball here as he sees that leading people to their own slavery by making them positively clamour for it is the way that this kind of situation is most likely to arise. The book kept me engrossed from the start to the end and was well written, interesting and had all the elements that make for enjoyable reading as well as the added element of making us think about what we were in danger of letting happen to ourselves. I hope everyone gets to read this book for that element alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
It's what most of us fear happening in the future and its so close to the truth it makes you look closer at your own electronic devices..

Great characters - although kurt did over-whine a little and bore me at times i was still thoroughly captivated. I could imagine it happening as the descriptions were really good, not too overdone - just enough to let my imagination run wild, i enjoyed reading and was desperate to continue - terribly annoyed that i cant read the next one straight away and will definitely be keeping an eye out for future books..
The concept was brilliant - just real enough that you KNOW this could actually happen - it could all change in an hour, day or week - we dont really know what these companies and scientist's are REALLY planning for us - do we. I have been reading different things on this subject for a while - ive been saying to my husband for years - where will this go? how far? I this the ultimate goal? To have everyone chipped?? I mean it would be horrifying to think of living like that to be honest but in reality it could help so many people too, missing kids, prisoners etc etc but think about it - what if there was a chip (seed) that recorded not only all personal things for safety but for health too - say someone was having a heart attack - red flag and ambulance dispatched,less waste of time calls etc more money saved - or it could record the pain in your body every minute - which would be good for those benefit cheats etc who say they cant work because of fake back pain - a chip/seed would show they were lying - benefit stopped forced to work, brilliant. Also perfect for babies - we could tell straight away if something was wrong.. The whole contact lenses thing wasn't so clear though - how did they keep them in without getting shriveled up eyeballs etc - i dont like the idea of them but the thought that it could correct your vision and be permanent is pretty good - plus the best idea instead of phones etc..
I also think that people are deluded if they dont think our governments are keeping information about us somewhere - info they shouldn't know and could use against you eventually. Heck the pop up thing thats catered to each individual is happening now - everytime i go on FB the website i have been looking at before suddenly pops up in the ads section every time...

So the book was fab defo worth reading in my opinion, i loved it x

5.0 out of 5 stars Orwell on acid, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
A throughly apt description of this book and of the way our world is heading next step a cashless society quite scary but definitely worth a read and I look forward to more books from him

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow just wow, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
What an amazing novel totally believable and possible for example Google glass could be the start of it all if you are interested in future possibilities then this is for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic SCi-Fi, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
A great story , believable and the direction we are going? Dystopian without being preachy and dark yet still fun.
Can't wait to read more from this author

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time..., 27 April 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good!, 16 Nov. 2013
Owen (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
The sample of this book really got my mind going, so I bought it and so glad I did.

If you're interested in where social media could possibly head, this is the book for you. A third of the way through now, and so excited as to where its heading.

Perfectly plausible technology, but not too much 'deus ex machina' going on.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Close for Comfort!, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
What happens in this book is totally believable and frighteningly possible. It's worrying that we're already living in a world which is fundamentally controlled by a handful of organisations and this book takes a logical tech step forward into a world where people are living in an augmented reality with scary consequences.

The only reason I have given this book 4 stars is because of the style of prose and composition which could have been improved. Other than that the story line is excellent and I would definitely read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, amazing! Perfect for a techie, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
So first off, I don't generally read much, not very good at it, and as a techie/programmer I find myself always doing other things. My sister gave me a Kindle, and 1 of the free books I downloaded was Funscreen by the same person. I really enjoyed that book, and made me think about my current techie projects (Using the Kinect etc).

So next, I brought this book even though I had tons of free ones to read. I can't put it down, I don't generally review things but this is awesome. I am very interested in VR, AR and future tech and so this was the perfect match for me. I have found it more addictive than the Harry Potter books (about the only other books I have read). Now I am near the end I am actually getting worried I wont find another book thats as good. Its easy to read and fun.

Anyway, if your in to computer sci-fi, this is a must read.

I hope the guy makes more books like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars fancy something different?, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Sycamore (Near-Future Dystopia) (Kindle Edition)
Wow what great ideas went into this book! The story started off amazing, I was totally caught up in the main characters enthusiasm for the technology, and then as the story developed I was consumed by dread... And this book certainly makes you think about the ease with which we give up our freedoms to engage in social media. This was easy to read and easy to imagine as the next logical steps for progress, but I'm left feeling a little haunted and wary of the cyber world in our futures. It was a great story and I'm sad there isn't going to be a 2nd book to fulfil my needs for a more satisfactory ending, but I understand the authors intentions, and there is always hope :-) Great read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›