5.0 out of 5 stars AverMedia Comes up Trumps
Published 22 months ago by Hogarth

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, terrible support and broken features.
Time for an honest review after the initial hype settled down.

Published 12 months ago by Piotr Kulka

5.0 out of 5 stars AverMedia Comes up Trumps, 13 May 2013
This review is from: AVerMedia C875 (GL710) - Live Gamer Portable (LGP) - HD Game Capture for PC/PS3 & 4/Wii U/Xbox360 and one up to 1080p, 60Mbps (Electronics)
The latest in a line of video capture unit from Avermedia certainly doesn't disappoint. This little box of trick can capture HDMI up to 30fps at 1080p from an HDMI source. The quality of the final video is stunning and certainly on par if not better than the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. The unit has a unique feature of the ability of not only being able to record to your PC's hard drive, but also to a SD card, which can be inserted directly into the device, making it incredibly portable.

A 3 month premium subscription to Xsplit allows you to bring your gaming sessions online to the Internet via Twitch.TV, it even has the ability to stream from its own software RECCentral, making this a versatile unit.

Your video captures can be encoded into H.264 and stored in one of two containers: MPEG4 and TS.

A nice little feature is the ability to mux a microphone into the capture (or even save your ramblings as a separate MP3 file)

Overall this is a top capture card and certainly beats the previous ones I've owned for features, quality, stability and overall build quality.

9.5 / 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent item, but just one thing to be aware of..., 6 Jan. 2014
I won't go on about the device itself since there are plenty of reviews, but it's small and neat and produces very high quality captures. It does everything I expected and I really like it.

Just a few things to note:

1. The documentation is pretty dismal. Luckily it's all faily intuitive but if you want a helpful, easy to understand manual, there is none. The downloadable thing is useless.
2. The support forum is offline and has been for months, i.e. useless. The US support forum has been hacked and is full of spam to the point of also being useless. If you need help, you are on your own! Pretty bad state of affairs really.

And finally, the one real annoyance:

3. It inserts a blank frame at the start of every recording. Actually its a dropped frame, which is stored as blank. So what? Well unfortunately the SD slot does not support anything other than FAT32 format, which means you are limited it 4GB files... which means you are limited to 33 minute clip length at 16MBit data rate. Recordings longer than that split into multiple files. Slightly annoying, but manageable if you can edit the clips back together later, which of course you can. But... that damned dropped frame is at the start of every clip. So when you edit your clips together, you have a movie that jumps slightly every 33 minutes. Annoying. For some users, a show-stopper I suspect. Why on earth can Avermedia not just support exFAT and larger than 4GB files???

Other than that, great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Dec. 2013
So I was looking for something that would record my gameplays and found a lot of capture cards, but then I looked at the Avermedia LGP and it looked super portable and after watching a review video of it I decided to get one myself. I couldn't wait for it to come and oh YES, it didn't take long to arrive.

I opened it and I felt like I was the luckiest person alive, it looked amazing! Came with everything, but I needed an extra HDMI cable which was not a problem as I have a few - also came with 3 month Xsplit membership which just made it easier and better for streaming.

After setting it up on my PC, I must say, I was impressed! it records 1080p@30fps and the quality is brilliant! Never had any problems with it and I guess I never will.

Now for the PC-FREE MODE, I used it for recording my Xbox 360 and I could see a bit of difference compared to 1080p but 720p@30fps, that's really good as no other capture cards have this feature. Never had a problem with that too, and again, I guess I NEVER will!

If you are looking for a capture card to record Xbox 360/One, PS3/PS4, PC... Then I suggest you get this. Hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic card, 24 Jun. 2013
I can not say anything bad about this capture card, running from the first moment and incredible quality. The installation is very simple and software works perfectly. No problem recording on ps3.
Perhaps the only negative is that the hdmi cable is too short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gaming capture device for console owners..., 27 Oct. 2014
Recently bought one of these game capture cards and love it. It is the first game capture card I have ever bought/used and I really like it.

The footage captured, although slightly blurry, is great quality and reflects the action from my TV perfectly. You will need video editing software to sharpen and alter contrast/saturation to get the maximum benefit. I bought it to start a YouTube game channel and, to be fair, the footage captured is far superior to the encoding YouTube uses. I find that when you upload videos to YouTube you have to compromise on the the quality of the videos (which is a shame) as they look sooo good.

Aside from the quality of the footage captured, the big advantage of this device is that it is portable. Unlike most of it's competitors it offers portable (i.e without a PC) and PC options. The footage on PC can be recorded at 60mbps, whereas in portable mode, it can only be recorded at 16mbps (recording for YouTube is recomended around 14mbps). It can record at 1080p at 30fps on both options. It doesn't record at 1080p 60fps.

If you are looking for recording console footage and may want to record at friend's houses/tournaments/LAN parties (without taking your PC), this game capture device is perfect for your needs. It also offers live streaming options.

Please note: the LGP does work on Windows Vista (I don't have Windows 7 or 8) although the Live broadcasting software only works on Windows 7 or 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too flawless for words, 28 Jun. 2013
Neverender (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
Using this as a portable capture device is absolutely brilliant. I've tested on both Xbox 360 via HDMI and A/V and found both to by easy to use and practically effortless with its out-of-the-box use.

Not having to worry about splitters and running cables all the way to my PC - This thing's a great HDMI bypass unit that has made capturing games easy and fun for whatever reason. Plus it's not just for gaming - any device you have with HDMI or A/V is capturable and so you can record home movies from your VHS to DVD or you can ...erm..."backup"...from your television.

Overall I'd highly recommend this - I've used a few different devices but this has superseded them all. A sample of my recoding can be seen at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, terrible support and broken features., 22 Mar. 2014
Piotr Kulka "Avid gamer" (Cracow, Poland) - See all my reviews
Time for an honest review after the initial hype settled down.

The picture and video quality are OK. Nothing to write home about, but very serviceable. I like the compact size and the PC-free capturing ability is a nice bonus. That being said, ever since I bought the device I'm facing the same problem many other LGP users do as well: the card won't capture my microphone. No matter if I use my professional condenser mic or a regular 3.5" jack headset mic. The software allows me to choose it from the list, but it doesn't capture the sound AT ALL and it doesn't even create a separate MP3 as advertised.

Another problem is, the video settings for component input are limited to Brightness and Contrast, while some key settings like Saturation or Sharpness are greyed out for no reason. It doesn't bother me while recording for YouTube, as I can fix that in post, but it's terrible for live streaming.

The support for this product is almost non-existent. Before the forums were taken down, people reported the same issues over and over, and nobody even bothered to respond or fix them. Soon after that AVerMedia decided to shut down the forums completely and keep all of that under the carpet. It's the kind of behaviour I would expect from some no-name Chinese company, but not from a brand like AVerMedia.

Keep all that in mind if you're considering purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little unit, cannot be beaten at this price., 7 Jan. 2014
Being an IT manager, I'm always highly sceptical of things that promise the earth, but don't cost a lot.

I feared that this little thing might be one of those cases, but I was very wrong.

I've got quite a bit of experience of using various capture solutions, both software and hardware over the last few years and I can quite confidently say that this is the best I've ever used.

Although designed for gamers, I actually wanted this for podcasting / streaming / broadcasting which it is equally at home with. The various audio and video options mean that I can record very high quality video and record audio from my professional audio interface at the same time, either embedded into the video, or as a separate MP3 - a superb feature.

The fact that you can capture ANY HDMI source with this thing, with or without a PC, makes for some incredibly interesting combinations. Plug in a ChromeCast / Roku / Apple TV and suddenly you have a hardware DVR for instance.

I do also have an Xbox 360 and not surprisingly this thing is superb at either capturing or streaming content straight from the console - with a laptop attached this is especially cool as you can see a repeat of what is being captured on the screen which gives you a little bit more confidence that things are being recorded properly.

The box does feel a little cheap and some of the graphics are a bit cheesy, but the use of multi-coloured LED's and patterns is a superb idea which makes sure you always know what's going on. For instance when in PC mode, if you initiate a recording, the unit "breathes" with a pulsing red glow. If you set it to streaming, pulses blue instead. If you get an error (running out of space for instance) it flashes between red and blue so you know straight away.

All in all I would very much recommend this to anyone. I'm not easily impressed, but as you can probably tell this thing has impressed me greatly!

5.0 out of 5 stars The right way to record games, 3 July 2014
Very easy to use, light in weight, and comes with all the cables you need.
I was going to buy a dvd recorder for the job, but thought I should do it the right way and get this instead.
SD card sold separately, but not required if you have it plugged into your computer during recording.

So far I've recorded 3 videos from the Wii U, and I'm pleased with each result!
Files aren't too big either, I think 10mins is about 2GB, so with a 128GB SDXC Card, you'll never run out of space.

Worth the money if you're into recording and uploading videos.
Audio Jack cable comes with the device, but you dont get a microphone with it, that is also sold separately if you want to record voice over.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, 16 Sept. 2014
I've only had it a couple of hours, but everything seems to be running fine. It connects to my PSP and PS3 in PC free mode, which is the mode I will be using most often. With the PSP it was as simple as plugging in a component cable (that I had purchased previously) and play. However with the PS3 I had to follow a video demonstration I found on Youtube. Simply search connect PS3 to LGP pc free mode into Youtube and the first video that pops up is the one you want. I have yet to record any voice overs whilst playing, so I will update as soon as I do.

For people like me who do not have top spec computers and are hoping to just use this in PC free mode, this is possible. I was able to start recording from my PSP to an SD straight out of the box, however due to my confusion with connecting the PS3, I decided to update the driver. The people at Avermedia were kind enough to send me an e-mail which mentioned where to find the driver download (Thanks for that!). The first option was to download the driver and the software, RECentral that allows you to record via a PC. I thought I'd give it a try despite not having even half of the required power and it downloaded very easily. Due to time, I was not able to try out PC recording, so that's another thing I will add in the update. From looking around just with the LGP plugged in though, I could see that the majority of the features, such as streaming and recording at a high level, were available to me despite my laptops lack of GHz. I will not be able to use the timelapse feature until I upgrade to a better PC, but that is not a major downside for me right now.

Here is a list of items that I have purchased (or already own) to go along with the LGP:
1) 16GB class 10 SD card. Mine is a Samsung that I originally got for my camera, but any class 10 should do.
2) A component cable for each device I wish to hook up, (e.g. PSP, PS2 and Wii) A PS3 cable is included with the device, so it is not necessary to purchase another cable if you only wish to record PS3 gameplay.
*3) Samson S-Mix, 5 Channel Mixer + 4) A microphone. + 5) RCA to RCA cable

*These are the items I have discovered from another Youtube video that are required to easily record voice overs. Once they arrive and I test them, I will update here if they work or not.