on 24 June 2009
Like most people I'd read how growing veg can save you money in these difficult times but didn't think I could do it in my tiny back garden. We've got a strip of grass about 3m by 4m and haven't done anything with it, what with working every hour god sends to pay the bills! This book proves it's possible using a variety of ingenious methods - I've now got carrots growing in a bizarre drainpipe tree affair, lettuce in the window boxes and loads of potatoes in a stack of tyres. The instructions are really simple and clearly presented and the author is so enthusiastic you'll be rushing out to plant peas in your old gym bag! Really great excuse to get me away from the computer too, great book all round!
0Comment82 of 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2009
I have several other books by Paul Peacock.. if you are trying to be more self sufficient --- this is the book for you.

He gives very practical ideas about stuff around the house that can be re-used in the garden.. Have you ever thought about planting carrots in an old drainpipe? It works fantastic...and a great use of space....He has a lot of ideas like this... He gives suggestions about flowers that can be planted next to vegetables so that the bugs eat the flowers and not your vegetables!...

This is a guy that "walks his talk..." he lives by his own ideas...and is the magazine editor of a Sustainability magazine in the UK...

Have fun gardening!
0Comment53 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this book to give me some ideas to produce more food in the garden or on the patio as I'm usually an avid flower grower.What a cracking little book! Written in a simple to understand way so no latin terminology which a lot of these books love to use and some fantastic ideas for growing produce in containers. Basically everything is a container! Grow stuff in it! It's a different way of looking at the subject. There's quite a few tips in there too which I was surprised I hadn't thought of. Brilliant book for the beginner and experienced alike. I'm definitely growing cabbages in carrier bags. I mean you only put them in one anyway when you buy them so you might as well grow the buggers in it to start! :-)
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2010
Smashing book for someone like me with too little time and space to be completely self sufficient. Widened the selection of produce that I can grow in pots - can't wait to start in spring! Very handy to dip into and lots of useful information. Also bought a copy for my father who agrees that its a useful book. Recommended.
This is a very useful little book. It doesn't have glossy coloured pictures but it is very informative, Great for a beginner gardener who wants to try growing vegetables in pots. Good, easy to follow advice. I would recommend it.
A basic, but complete "how-to" guide to vegetable, salad and herb growing.

I knew that I would like to grow salad in containers, but didn't know how to go about it. This book is a great, all-round reference guide for gardening novices (like me), with handy tips and a few novel ideas thrown in.

At first I was a little horrified with the lack of visual instructions, but I found that I didn't actually need them. I know, I know, that's a shocking thing to say. But there's no confusing "gardening speak" here - this book simply and clearly covers everything from when to sow, what varieties you could try and general aftercare. In fact, I felt encouraged to give it go, without feeling as though I needed any specialist equipment, or a degree in horticulture.

If you'd like to try growing veg etc, I cannot recommend this book enough - for me it's been an excellent confidence booster to help me take the plunge. But be warned, it does get quite addictive...
on 31 July 2010
I bought this when my daughter moved into a house with no garden - just a back yard. Her gloom at having nothing growing has turned to joy - as, with the help of this splendid book, the yard has become a welcoming and productive patio.
on 31 May 2011
This is the second copy of this book I've bought. The one I got last year was excellent hence the second purchase for a gift. The contents were the same but the quality of the pages and the cover were disappointing. Says it's the same edition so dont understand why it should be different.
on 21 August 2011
quick delivery...found book to be very helpful for the small garden & new starter to the world of vegetables...would recomend...
on 10 April 2013
Although it has no photographs in it, the whole book is very well set out. There is practical advice and help for everyone, be it experienced or beginner. My garden is approx. 10m x 9m and is virtually surrounded by trees which are very close to the fence, meaning that their roots are under most of my ground. Despite south facing, this makes 'normal' gardening quite difficult and that's why most of my plants are grown in containers. I have blueberries, 4 very small fruit trees and strawberries, all in pots of various sizes but I do want to grow some veg. too. This book gives me some ideas without having to spend more money on pots and expensive gadgets which is brilliant. I know a little about gardening but I am also very grateful for additional and new or different ideas to maximise my garden space. I am looking forward to trying some of these ideas.