4.0 out of 5 stars An essential handbook for new cafe owners
This is an excellent book and one that I carried round with me in a backpack in the months before I set up my cafe. I referred to it constantly and used it to help me source equipment, for advice, eg about going to exhibitions and also for support - it was written by people who, like me, gave up a very different career to become cafe owners.

The one thing that...
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by N. Minnis

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine if you have no catering or retail experience
Ok if you haven't a clue what you're doing at all, but most things in this book were pretty obvious to anyone who has already given the idea of opening a sandwich / coffee shop some thought. Didn't learn much from it.
Published 10 months ago by Ms. E. M. Procter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential handbook for new cafe owners, 28 Jun 2010

The one thing that is missing is advice on how to get customers through your door - or just to notice that your cafe is there! There is some info there, but it's not very detailed. I think this could be the subject for a whole new book. Reading the book gives the impression that customers just magically flooded through the door on the first day they opened, and I'm sure this is because they did a brilliant marketing job before they opened. After all, they used to be in PR. I think a book on how to market your cafe and how to get and keep customers would be a great success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Oct 2009
A. Field (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
such a useful practical and handy book- I only wish I had invested sooner. There is so much involved in running a cafe, and as this is my first business I found the book to be invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planning to start a (retail) business? Read this book, 21 Mar 2014
As a business owner and coach, I read a lot of books about business and start-ups. This book however is the first book that I have read, which gives clear and practical tips and guidelines for preparing and opening a shop. The book is written for Sandwich and coffee shop start ups, but can act as a book for any start up.
Apart from the practical tips, Jill also gives some essential management and leadership lessons away in the book. Clearly, this book is a result of a successful start up, and following the steps and process in the book, you can have a successful shop, too.
If you have a shop and it doesn't go well, re-visit the steps in this book and you quickly find out why it isn't working for you at the moment.

Comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to coffee shop ownership, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Start and Run a Sandwich and Coffee Shop (Small Business Start-Ups) (Kindle Edition)
This is a very useful insight into running a sandwich bar. Some great examples of how the author tackled various (marketing) strategic and practical day to day issues.

My only criticisms would be that I would have liked more in-depth information on coffee (and other products) and where and what to source. Also would have been great to have more practical advice on how to staff the business in the event of staff absenteeism or when the owner is on holiday.

On the whole, a very interesting read that is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative, 20 Mar 2014
Very useful guide. Only real criticism is that it paints a slightly "all too easy" picture in my opinion. Naturally the author has been successful at her business venture, and wants to make the guide make things seem achievable but after reading I couldn't help but thinking... This will be a piece of cake

... Of course it might be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 16 Oct 2013
Full of practical information regarding pretty much you could think of on the matter! The one from the "Coffee Boys" has a completely different approach so I'd highly recommend to buy them both, you'll understand what I mean as soon as you start reading them.
Avoid the one from Heather Lyon though...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent investment, 10 Mar 2009
This book is an excellent investment for anyone thinking of opening their own cafe/coffee shop. It covers all of the issues that I've been worrying about for the past 6 months, business plans, premises, suppliers, menus, staffing issues, compliance with rules and regulations etc. It's also a really fun read, with lots of anecdotes from the author's own experiences of running her cafe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start and Run a Sandwich and Coffee Shop, 29 Jan 2010
Robert C. Hinds "rchinds" (Hove, England) - See all my reviews
This book has been a piece of divine inspiration at the time when I was guided to it. I had read quite a few books and listened to a few podcasts on the business of setting up and running a sandwich/coffee shop.

I then listened to a podcast with the author Jill Sutherland, where she gave details of her journey through initial conception of idea to the full running of the business.

It came to me at an ideal time in the journey that I am currently on with the setting up of a small eatery.

The book gives very concise, practical and informative advise on the different stages of the entire process. A must read for anyone contemplating diving into this world.

It is a great read that you will then constantly refer back to, a great reference guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Easy to read, 27 Feb 2014
I certainly didn't regret buying this book. I found it very easy to read and was crammed full of practical advice for those wishing to open up a cafe or sandwich shop. I don't feel the need to buy any other book really...except of course for a book of sandwich recipes! Yes, I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is contemplating taking the plunge and opening their own little establishment.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 22 Sep 2013
It was a great read and some very valuable information and advise. Pretty inspiring too. Would recommend to anyone thinking of opening a small business (not necessarily food).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›