5.0 out of 5 stars What ever your severity, try this book !
Published on 27 Nov 2012 by James Sankey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Meant for All
This book is likely very useful for those who have been officially diagnosed with a serious anxiety disorder. However, having bought it to combat general anxiety, I found it far too intense for my needs. Reading it actually made me feel more anxious at times, and the testimonials - while useful, I'm sure - seemed to come from people with very deep problems.
The...
Published on 25 Mar 2011 by Bunny

5.0 out of 5 stars What ever your severity, try this book !, 27 Nov 2012
I really cant recommend this book enough! Im 21 years old and have suffered on/off with anxiety and panic attacks since roughly the age of 7. I wouldn't say my condition is as severe as some peoples however it is relentless and an extremely unpleasant and upsetting disorder. I personally think this book covers all severity levels of anxiety, panic, obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias, and even depression (im not a medical professional, its just my opinion). It describes the disorders and conditions in real simple terms and to a very helpful and understanding level. The book provides step by step procedures on how to overcome the disorders and gives you very helpful, self help exercisers on combating the problems. Bit of a cliche saying but i literally never put the book down after i first picked it up, and i really am not keen on reading ! I cant express enough gratitude for the creators of this book, I've literally got my life back ! I was skeptical at first, but that was mainly down to my own pessimism, and im so glad i persevered and tried this book. I would definitely recommend this book, whether it is mild or a severe condition either you, or someone you know is suffering from.

4.0 out of 5 stars A road map to recovery, 12 Jan 2009
I wish I had had a book like this when I had my first panic attacks. No one understood what I was going through, and no one, including the medical services, was able to explain what was happening and how it could be dealt with.

What everyone in this situation needs, and needs fast, are three things:
1. Reassurance that you are not the only one this has ever happened to
2. A concise explanation of the various forms of Anxiety and their symptoms; and
3. Help and advice which will set you on the road to recovery.

And this is what Free Yourself from Anxiety does. Using genuine case studies it shows that what you thought was affecting you alone is in fact quite common. It clearly and concisely explains the various forms of Anxiety such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), panic attacks, phobias and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) so that you can properly identify the problem. And finally it gives a properly structured road map to recovery by taking the reader, step by step, from facing their fears to overcoming them.

Written in an understanding and encouraging way, this book is the next best thing to having a twenty-four hour therapist at your side. If you have an anxiety problem, or you know someone who has, buying this book could be a life saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Yourself from Anxiety, 26 Feb 2009
This book was a journey of recognition. The scenes described were so familiar it was a relief to realise that what I had experienced was not uncommon.

The book was unpatronising, easy to read and understand and yet covered some very complex issues.

I particulalrly liked that there were a variety of methods suggested for helping yourself, not just one doctrine that had to be followed (which is usually what the medical profession offers).

I would recommend this book to all anxiety sufferers AND their relatives because one of the most stressful things is when people don't understand why you react to some situations in such a seemingly bizarre and extreme way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Yourself From Anxiety, 10 Mar 2009
Don't Mention The Snow!

I've been reading a book by Emma Fletcher and Martha Langley called Free Yourself From Anxiety and I'd like to write about a particular section of this book that I am finding especially helpful. It is the part that deals with questioning one's beliefs and I've been using it to help me to overcome agoraphobia.

A few weekends ago I stuck the questions (from page 167) on to a postcard - a neat, portable prompt, had an early night, slept well and woke up next morning full of renewed enthusiasm and determination, threw back the curtains.... only to find thick snow and it was still falling! If I had ventured out then I would have been more concerned with staying on my feet than reading a prompt card.

Seriously I found the book full of sensible, basic and practical advice. It takes the fear out of anxiety situations.

During the ensuing fortnight, whilst we were effectively snowed in, I used the time to practise some of the breathing and relaxation exercises recommended in the book. When I could finally venture out I found these techniques kept my anxiety levels within manageable boundaries, so that I could then take the time to stop and consider the prompt questions, rather than simply rushing back home.

It also gives a list of helpline numbers, and I've had a lot of help from First Steps to Freedom {}. I think anyone who has this book and the number of this helpline is bound to make progress!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Meant for All, 25 Mar 2011
The description made me curious as to whether or not my feelings fell under the umbrella of a disorder, and while the book helped me identify this, it was at a different level.
If you're looking for a book on combatting anxiety, rather than overcoming a disorder, I would look to books about stress first before picking up this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A long-awaited resource on anxiety which is useful for therapists & clients!, 15 Jun 2009
As a psychotherapist, I found this book to be extremely useful. The information is practical and is applicable to real life situations. It allows the client to take responsibility for the process thereby empowering him or her. It is thorough and has a strong application component, even addressing some of the more difficult issues which other books overlook, including OCD. This is definitely a book which I will refer to as well as recommend to clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Leopard Lady, 3 Aug 2009
I have worked with women suffering from anxiety for over 12 years; I found this book extremly helpful and easy to navigate. It was encouraging to work through some of the chapters in our group and it is very user friendly. Great book and tool to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical advice for all of us, 16 Feb 2009
N. Hudswell (UK) - See all my reviews
I read this book because I know the authors - not because I suffer from Anxiety. I didn't really think it would have much relevance to me as I don't consider myself an Anxiety sufferer. But it was fascinating to discover advice that makes sense to me as a normal 30-something woman.

Which of us doesn't get knots in their stomach before going to a party? Who doesn't go pale and / or scarlet when everyone in a meeting turns to look at you?

This book shows how perfectly normal all of our physical, mental and emotional reactions are to challenges from the world around us, and that straight away makes it all a little more bearable.

If you then want to go on to work at aspects of your behaviour there is page after page of beautifully explained techniques to try. The authors' voices come through so clearly and they seem to genuinely want to reach every reader and help us to be more at peace with ourselves.

I recommend this book to anyone basically!

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, insightful - but perhaps not great for mild anxiety, 11 Nov 2011
Panda "pandaspud" (South West England) - See all my reviews
This was an interesting book; easy to read, understand and follow. Rather than the sort of book you read continuously, it is much more intended to be something you read part of, go away and do the exercises, then read on only when you are ready. It had some good concepts and helped me think deeper into my anxiety as to the cause and roots of it. However, it did take me two thirds of the book before I found something helpful to me.

Easy to understand and grasp, I think this would be a great read if you suffer intensely with anxiety, or anxiety associated illnesses such as OCD and agoraphobia, but if you suffer with mild intermittent anxiety, it probably won't help extensively. Still, it's worth a read for help with goal setting and provides a good set of questions that you can ask yourself in situations that test your disorder and perhaps understand the roots of your worries and where they came from. It did help me feel and see that anxiety is a common and over-comeable problem and reassured me that I wasn't going mad! So worth a read, but likely more beneficial if you suffer more than mildly with anxiety issues. Probably also one to keep and return to in times when your anxiety peaks and you need some sort of plan and support to get out of the danger zone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and brilliant, 31 Mar 2014
I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for 3 years now and this book really is amazing. It was really comforting and felt that somebody understood my pain and frustration.
You have to be willing to put some work in but I'm sure if you suffered from any of the conditions mentioned in the book then you would do whatever it takes to feel free again.
It's basically CBT but in simple terms. Perfect for anyone with anxiety, panic attacks, depression or OCD.
And to anyone reading this and needs help, remember your not alone and you will get your life back.