on 11 June 2016
I appreciate that everyone's experience of rhematoid arthritis is different I got the impression from reading the book that the author has only very mild symptoms. She admits herself that she experiences very little pain and can go skiing, takes yoga classes and takes long walks. The lack of understanding of the every day experiences of those who experience the illness to moderate or severe level can further be seen in the chapter on adaptions "washing/showering/bathing Equiptment will probably not be needed unless you have problems with your hips and knees or are having a flare-up of your symptoms." This would be about 98% of those of us with RA then. Furthermore she recommends walking as a good excercise for people with rhematoid arthritis. This is against recommendations by experts which are clear that weight bearing excercise can damage joints and should be replaced with non-weight bearing ones.
As someone who has had the condition for over thirty years, I felt the information was largely common sense, some of it inappropriate and some downright ridiculous "if someone can manage stairs safely and without pain it is probably better to manage without an extra banister rail." When would it ever be a disadvantage to not have an extra banister rail? For anyone?
I considered two stars but dropped one because it includes advice on the hugely discrediated farce that is homeopathy.
on 15 May 2015
I bought this for a person newly diagnosed with RA. She was initially dismissive of the book, because she had booklets given by the hospital. However, on reading it she found it very helpful and really took away worthwhile ideas about posture and self care. I also read it and found it to be well organised logical and clear. What I liked is that this small book is comprehensive review of anything relevant to RA. It goes beyond what the docs tell you, by looking at posture, vitamins, alternative therapies and psychological tools. I think it is a very practical book and one that is a useful reference for anyone with this condition.
on 23 February 2014
My own research and experience I have personally found that most creams and gels do work initially but after a while they do lose effectiveness anyone suffering from RA will know something that worked before does not carry on always working. I've looked at so many products for some relief that wont let me down when I'm in pain the most I've found is 3 - 4 hours relief though for the short term these work great for about a week and then the pain becomes more severe from my experience.

After more research and endless googling I discovered shockingly the small print side effects that most chemical based products actually deteriorate the joint more after applying or using for a prolonged period of time. I would suggest trying some of the very useful tips in found in this book which is very informative and applicable in daily life.

Also I would suggest trying herbal alternatives which I personally think work a treat for anyone looking to try something a bit different. One in particular I would recommend try googling "rheumatoid rapid relief oil" its an oil based product which is currently working for me very well in helping alleviating those nagging pains that you think will never end. Especially if you have RA the worst most painful type of Arthritis in my opinion.
on 17 August 2015
A well written, informative book that everyone can understand. Jasmine Jenkins knows her subject and puts it over very well. I have been a qualified nurse for over 30 years and currently suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis. This book taught me many things I did not know.
on 3 August 2015
Bought for my daughter who has just been diagnosed and she finds it a great help reading a book about it by someone who has gone through it. She had been told by various people, not medical, that she would have all kinds of problems but this book has put all that out of her mind.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2013
Ive not long been diagnosed with RA so am interested in learning about it.This book is well written and easy to read and understand.I would recommend it to any one who is newly diagnosed or has had the disease a long time.I am still reading it .
on 15 April 2013
I'd already bought one for a friend with rheumatoid arthritis. She said it was invaluable for dipping into for advice. So when my nephew was diagnosed, I sent him a copy as well. It's clearly and simply written and is an easy -to-read reference book.
on 11 October 2011
My husband has been diagnosed with the disease and reading this book is helping us understand many things associated with it.
on 2 July 2015
Not a bad read but a lot of stating the obvious in regards day to day living.
on 16 February 2016
Bought for a suffering friend and she found it very useful.