Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Skull Edition|Change

on 31 October 2013
i am a big fan of the assassin's creed series, and was very much looking forward to this title. AC4 does not disappoint in any way. the maps are beautiful, the story is well told, the multiplayer is improved. skull edition is epic too, the best collector's edition yet with a really nice box!

to see what is included with the edition, paste the link below
youtu.be/y--HuBqMlek

i would recommend this game and edition to any fans of the series, a must buy!
on 21 November 2013
Personally I believe this to be the best game in the series. It's like playing the first five games mushed into one and I have enjoyed every second of it. Ubisoft have defiantly redeemed themselves from AC3.
The game has improved graphically from its predecessor and the plot was a lot more gripping. I also thoroughly enjoyed the modern day plot and it was one part of the game I was most excited about. The map is astounding and it is hard to believe they could create a world this big but nothing is lacking when you explore it. Sometimes it's just nice to look at the beautiful places Ubisoft have created in this game. The cities are beautiful if not a little smaller than those from the last game but I did find New York and Boston rather boring and dull. Havana, Kingston and Nasau are wonderful, vibrant places with lots to do and explore. The addition of music whilst in the cities is a lot better as well as it adds to the atmosphere of the games which was lacking in AC3.I found the ship parts of the game refreshing and exciting. They have been considerably upgraded from AC3 and the battles are one of the most exhilarating parts of the game.
Of course the Skull Edition is beautiful. The steel case is one I shall treasure forever as I have doe. With the box from the special edition of Revelations. The soundtrack is fantastic and the art book is something to sit and enjoy.
All in all I think Ubisoft have created one of the best games of 2013 and I cannot wait to see where they will take us next.
on 23 November 2013
The story is brilliant, the amount of context there is, is amazing, the graphics with a hdmi cable is the best I've seen so far and I thank you for the great price and postal time! You guys rock
on 29 December 2013
I purchased my copy of this game for £50, £10 more than the standard copy of the game. For the extra tenner I got the soundtrack, the artbook, a picture of Edward and another of the Jackdaw. Be wary that the so called "Extra missions" are just some treasure chests on separate islands which contain cosmetics for the Jackdaw and some outfits and weapons (The swords are worse in stats on all accounts compared to the swords available via Uplay). You get all of this in a snazzy tin.

For £10 extra I can recommend this, for anymore I cannot as the in game content is a joke and the soundtrack is forgettable with the exception of 2 sea shanties (For some reason the ones your crew sing on the ship in-game aren't a part of the soundtrack).

The game itself is a vast improvement over the god-awful Assassins Creed III, Edward is a far better character and the pirate setting adds enjoyable naval combat and some interesting characters such as Blackbeard.

The ending of this game is the worst in any Assassin's Creed game to date (Yup, even worse than III). The ending was so sudden I thought I had a whole chapter of the game left when it just suddenly stopped, so if you are a die hard fan of the franchise such as me prepare to let Ubisoft stick their middle finger up at you.

Excluding the ending Assassin's Creed IV is a game worth playing and a jolly good time.
on 5 November 2013
This game takes a massively different slant on the role of the Assassins and Edward Kennaway is an incredible character. It's hard not to give spoilers so I'll keep thios short.
Mechanically the controls for the character are the same as AC 3 but the environments are much more fun.
The naval combat has been overhauled drastically it's a lot more tactical and difficult, gone are the times you could just wade the Aquilla into the middle of ten hostiles and blow them apart in moments, to start you would be lucky in the Jackdaw to get the better of one frigate without upgrading and even gunboats pose a challenge.
The storms are much more impressive and sailing is fun.
There are complaints that there are still eavesdropping missions, I don't mind these and they aren't all the time. (That being said I'm only on memory sequence 4)
The only thing that annoys me is when you are in the "Real" game world you see in 1st person, but I suspect that will relate to a spoiler I haven't found later.
Still the Game is excellent.
The Metal Box is beautiful and the physical content is pretty cool, the soundtrack is a huge bonus (even though Windows Media Player's Library doesn't recognise the disc, as of 04/11/13 at about 8pm).
The in game additional content is all very good too and provides more room to just be distracted, the swords of Toledo to start are very handy against some of the middle-ranked opponents.
Overall well worth getting if you love Assassins Creed.
on 21 March 2014
I bought Assassins Creed 4 for one major reason, I love pirating, pirate films, and the general concept.

Ubisoft do their research and I knew it'd be historically accuracte.

The gameplay is really fluid, everything feels responsive, although a few times I jumped into the water without meaning to.

There's tons to do, tons of locations ranging from little pirate islands to massive cities, chests and other things to collect.

The ship is a big part of this game, and upgrading it is something you'll do gradually, at first you'll want to just sail around destroying ships and boarding them, nearly all ships you destroy can be boarded, and you can collect goods such as rum for reales (the currency of the game) or upgrade materials. Those who just want to grind can just sink a ship instead of boarding it, gaining 50% of the materials.

Storywise, the game covers various pirates and mixes in the assassins too, the story ties up nicely, albeit somewhat abruptly.

The game is massive, I expected it to be big but wow, theres over 50 hours of gameplay here easily, probably more.

I bought the Skull edition because it was only 1 quid more than the regular. You get an artbook, some cards, a code for some ingame items and a few new islands, and a soundtrack, the soundtrack is ok, unfourtanetly the main tune doesn't seem to be on there, it's a pretty catchy tune.

Some of the story missions can feel a bit repetitive, eavesdrop missions in particular, however it's minor.

Overall I really recomennd this game to anyone who enjoys exploration and open-world gameplay.
on 9 November 2014
For a game which is supposed to be about assassins, this game spends an awful amount of time at sea. In fact the majority of your time will most likely be spent behind the mast, racing down ship laden with cargo or taking on pirate hunters sent to hunt you down.

Don't get me wrong, the ship navigation and combat in this game is wonderfully paced, with angles of fire needing to be found to cause as much damage to your targets as possible while at the same time avoiding incoming fire returned by your enemies. THe only thing is, this game seems far more to be a piracy simulator than one for an assassin.

Even the brief plot set in contemporary times seems to lack something as the unnamed protagonist works within Abstergo to discover the secret behind the games development company. Without a strong protagonist to root for, I found myself caring little for the wanderings and hackings of the 'real world' compared to the fun and plunder of the pirate's life.

Overall this is a wonderful naval adventure, but I can't help but feel the title 'Assassin's Creed' doesn't really fit, and that this game may have been more appropriately launched as a solo title rather than being tagged onto the rest of the series.
on 17 November 2013
So far into this game I am loving it, there are so many upgrades made to the game, for eg. you can mark enemies with eagle vision and track them even through walls (pls note you can see there whole body and not just an icon); the naval navigation and upgrades have been improved, as well as being able to use mortars. there are sleep, and berserk darts that you can use; I haven't gotten far enough in the game to be deep sea diving, because I like to do the side missions and collectables in each area before I move on; although I do like the harpooning that has been added to the game, as well as naval trading and battles you can perform with your fleet; the combat has also been improved and is a bit more free flowing, however i'm a bit disappointed with the combat when boarding a ship as i feel it can be a bit start stop and hard to counter, but maybe with a bit more practice I might be able to get better. But overall I like the storyline so far and all the extras that you can do. When i finish the game I may put down another review which hopefully will be a lot better than this one. But if your an assassins creed fan then you should definately get this game as it is a lot better than ac3 as well as your character and his story.
on 25 November 2013
I would not be repetitive and write how wonderful this game actually is. No... It is a fantastic game! Have been spent over 70 hours in total, have finished the main story, but still can find something on remote islands with some unfinished assassin or naval missions.
Naval story is something outstanding, cruising Jackdaw on sunset listening to a shanty is a breathtaking experience.
I have been wondering how Ubisoft will continue the 'Present Day' story after what had happened in the end of AC III and I must say they have done a great job as well.
Amazing graphics, great story, nice extra stuff within the Skull Edition and in-game content.
This game also suits the newcomers, who did not play previous AC games.
I hope to get my Xbox One soon and AC IV BF for Xbox One is already waiting for next gen console arrival.
My only disappointment is that the main story has finished too quickly and I am waiting for new stories within Season Pass.
A 'must buy'!
on 26 March 2014
I'm one of the few who adored the third game and Connor Kenway, so for me the next game not being his sequel was never going to be perfect, however I have to admit Ubisoft have definitely upped the experience. I hated the ships in AC3 so was pretty annoyed when I found out they'd based the whole game at sea, however sailing is fantastic in 4. I don't think much of Edward's storyline or character and think the main point is the gameplay. Hunting isn't as good or a focus but they thankfully got rid of that ridiculous trading thing I never fully got. It's pretty fun being a pirate and the scenery is gorgeous.
I got the skull edition and for some reason expected the box to be much bigger; it's the size of the game case, which means the artbook is too. The artbook is fab and having the soundtrack (though its the worst one yet) is great.
I think Unity looks better though!