4.0 out of 5 stars OKAY READ
Abby is joining her three brothers, who are in a successful group Jacobs Ladder. They want Abby to become a member of the band as one of her brothers is leaving to get married.
Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy
Published 20 months ago by Sarah

4.0 out of 5 stars OKAY READ, 27 Mar. 2013
Reader (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
When she arrives at the Rock Nation Festival she's trying to find hers brothers tour bus, but gets on the wrong one. Instead of her brothers, she's managed to land herself on Runaway Train's tour bus. Jake Slater lead singer and all round bad boy, does not make a good first impression on Abby. But despite that there is an underlying attraction there.

After a bet is made Abby finds she has agreed to spend the next week with Jake and the rest of the group. Her brothers are not only furious, but worried as Jake Slater has a reputation with women, and it's not good.

The premise of this story is good, and for the most part I enjoyed it. Though I have to say that the flow of the story varied between clean and homely one minute to crude and raunchy the next. I liked Jake even if he was at times an idiot. Abby just seemed too perfect, and so forgiving. Quite frankly some of the things that Jake said to her were crass and really quite unforgivable. But no matter what he said or did Abby was right there with I forgive you. I'm not sure I bought into their relationship. As to the other members of the group, we only really get to know Brayden and AJ. Of course there is a rival for Jakes affections which provides some drama. The story is told from both Jake and Abby's POV. Overall a nice read. A solid three and a half stars for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ok so whilst there were some aspects of this book I loved, generally I found the whole thing a little nauseating I'm afraid. Jake was a better character than Abby, he had complexity, light and darkness, fears, faults, passion, etc. Yeah most of the time I liked him, he was definite book boyfriend material. Abby, however, oh my god! She was sickeningly perfect, never did anything wrong, was good at everything and an 'angel' to everyone. Yawn! Consequently she had next to no personality and when Jake gushed over her I ended up not liking him! He just turned into a bit of a sap.

As for the plot. Well, I found the whole rock star business completely ridiculous and cliché, but otherwise I liked it. I thought the family feel of the band was nice and the themes of family and grief were well dealt with. I ultimately loved how the story ended but I couldn't help but find the whole thing a bit cheesy and Abby rather nauseating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and shallow, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Paperback)
I was expecting to enjoy this much more than I did, I love rock star romances and I know from other Katie Ashley books I've read that she writes good erotic scenes, but something was lacking in this for me. I struggled to finish it. The characters were shallow and when the story moved to the inevitable 'falling in love', I found the scenes so cheesy they made me cringe. What rock star would declare his love for his girlfriend in front of his audience who had gone along to hear him sing? It was naff and nasty for me, not the sweet moment I'd been hoping for.
Another irritation was the whole virginal young woman story line. Boy am I tired of fictional virgins.
I won't be reading any more in this series I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Okay, so the dialogue was a little disjointed, the story a little far-fetched and Jake's turnaround in character rather quick, but it's a romance novel, so in that sense it gave me everything I could possibly want - a sexy male, hot sex, some cheesy lines and romance. I loved this book and couldn't put it down and was quite glad that Jake became a one woman man quite quickly. I'm not so sure if I was Abby I would have put up with his whingeing and his antics so often, but then I've never had a sexy, tattooed rocker want to take me to bed every five minutes. Buy it you'll love it and the rest of the series as long as you're not looking for a Booker Prize winning, thought provoking story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What a great story it was funny and sad. Abby and Jake make the perfect couple, but they do have their ups and down.

Would recommend this book for you start to feel these people and hoe their lives are really like loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop wasting your time reading my review and read the book already ...., 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Paperback)
I was a little apprehensive about reading this because I read a fair few negative comments but close your eyes.... I really enjoyed this book it is such an amazing book and i recommend anyone to read it. I couldn't put it down and read it in one day. Loved the humour in it and I even shed a tear which for me is difficult to do. Admittedly it could be cheesy in parts but who the heck cares. It's a romance novel what do you expect.

Well done Katie Ashley. Now in my way to purchase the rest of her stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars HARD BOOK TO REVIEW, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Paperback)
I had just finished reading the black falcon books, and had not has enough of tatooed rockers, so when I saw the cover and read the preview for this book I thought this will do for me. But to be honest it is the hardest book to review it starts off well , if you have yet to read this book PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW COS I MIGHT LET THINGS SLIP OUT.
Young beautiful girl gets on hard cor rockers bus by mistake, and your thinking ok this sounds good, but then all of a sudden those same rockers are paying country music and sweet sixteens. And the lead singers and hero of the book Jake Slater is singing a deut with a country star. While I have to say the parts with his mom are heartbreaking, and some parts of the book are funny, I just couldnt see hard core rockers going on tour with a christian cross over band.
while the lead Jack Slater is likable I found th female lead abby/angel just too sweet for my liking in saying that at times she did have the mouth of a sailor. if your looking for a nice easy read then this is for you but for me a little unbelivable.

4.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Jake is the lead singer in a rock band and Abby is thinking of being the other band member in her brothers Christian rock band , when she accidentally gets on the wrong tour bus their first meeting doesn't go we'll and this is where the fun begins. I liked Abby she was funny, witty and could give as good as she got with the boys if you liked other rock band books you'll enjoy this one but beware you'll need tissues .

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet versus spicy, 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Abby really stuck to her guns, yes she was sweet and innocent, but Jake had her fate sealed from the minute she ended up in his bed, albeit a case of mistaken identity - I wish haha!
Looks set to be a great series following the lives and loves of rock band Runaway Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Good.... Not great, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Music of the Heart (Runaway Train Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read the reviews & I was really looking forward to this, I thought it might just be different to other rock & roll romances but like other reviewers I found it to be quite cheesy & a bit far fetched. It was ok but bit fantastic hopefully the next instalment will be better.