4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Consideration
Published 15 months ago by Robin

3.0 out of 5 stars Provides a very convenient method of charging your phone, but some issues
Good points: This saves having to open the waterproof seal on the mini USB power charger slot on the phone. Now just sits on my desk and I just drop the phone into it when I'm there. Very convenient.

Bad points: If you have a case on the phone, then it's likely that the phone + case won't fit into the dock without some modification. The dock comes with a...
Published 7 months ago by Nigel

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Consideration, 24 April 2014
At first glance a lot of money for a matchbox (remember them) sized piece of plastic but it works so well - especially when used in conjunction with the Smart Connect app to alter the phone settings whilst docked. A good solid clunk when the dock is engaged, holding the unit at the perfect viewing angle and an anti-slip treatment on the base that stop it skating around the desk complete the setup. Free postage and packing, and the fact that this is about £8 cheaper from Total Digital, made this accessory an obvious choice. Please be aware this ships with no cable so you will need your own micro-USB to plug into the rear of the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Sony Desktop Charging Dock for Xperia Z - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The dock looks smart, holds the phone well, and has a quality feel about it. However, it's way too expensive for what it is essentially a bit of black plastic - especially as there's no charger or cable included. When you connect the dock to power and drop your phone in, the home screen rotates to landscape... as long as there's power to it. Disconnect the power and the home screen flips back to portrait. More frustratingly it won't charge from my laptop USB socket - it must be a mains charger. I bought this to sit my phone neatly next to my laptop without having to connect it to the mains power - so it fails on that score.

UPDATE: One month on... I now keep this by the bed to charge the phone during the night and for that it is perfect. When docked, I have the XperiaZ 'Smart Connect' set up to automatically turn off wifi, data and sound etc. and initiate the alarm clock (which over-rides the silent mode!). A slightly different use to what I initially wanted it for, but I've adapted my expectations! It's actually ideal by the bed and saves me constantly opening/closing the USB flap for charging. All in all, I'm now happy with this purchase, so I'm upgrading my rating of 3 stars to 4 stars. Still reckon it's over-priced, though!

UPDATE August 2014: Still using this by the bed, and still find it really useful. However, after a software update my XperiaZ1 wouldn't 'stay awake' in the dock - after a couple of minutes the screen turned off, and I was left with no clock to look at during the night. I got round this with a simple app called 'caffeine' which is free in the Play Store. Works a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good genuine Sony product., 5 Jan. 2015
I've had my Sony Experia Z2 for some time, and although there has not been any issue at all with the charging socket cover, I'm conscious of the possibility that it may eventually work loose. I have been removing the cover daily for charging and as it is a waterproof cover any slack in the fitting would not be desirable. I therefore purchased the charging dock to enable ease of charging. I was slightly concerned with some of the negative coments with regards to fitting and durability. I soon discovered that there was no need. The dock comes with 2 inserts that in total offers 3 different fitting widths. I have a Snakehive leather flip case, also bought through Amazon, and with this case on it slips into the dock very easily. The magnets quickly locate and the phone just snaps into place. As it only takes a second to remove this case, I have recently started charging out of the case as it just looks nicer. There are various options on the phone for what is displayed during charging, and the audible tone when charging is complete. There seems to have been some concerns about how light the dock is and that it would move about to easily. There is some foundation in this while the dock is empty, but the weight of the phone overcomes this. Because I only ever use mine in exactly the same place on my computer desk, I have use double sided tape to secure it, which makes it very stable. Again this is not a permanent fix and is easily removed if needed. All in all a good genuine Sony product. I'm not sure how third party compatibles would fair.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Oct. 2013
I ordered this yesterday as my charging port broke and would not charge i could not be without a phone. It fits perfectly and that price is certainly alot cheaper than what I would have to pay to get my phone fixed

5.0 out of 5 stars It is TINY!, 2 Jun. 2014
I thought I had been sent the wrong part when it arrived as the box was so small. The stand itself is very small and could do with adding an extra inch all round. It is a little unstable, but once docked, the phone stays put most of the time.
It definitely does NOT come with a charging cable, the one supplied with the phone needs to be used.
I took advice from one of the previous reviewers who said that it works best by the bedside (when I mainly charge my phone overnight).
Sony phones are notorious for the charging covers breaking quickly, which would also ruin its waterproof-ness with this phone! So the magnetic charging dock is a godsend to avoid the repetitive opening and closing of the mini USB cover which would eventually destroy the badly designed USB cover. And Sony do NOT want to take responsibility and even send an foc replacement cover.
The dock is perfect for watching films or TV, whilst charging at the same time. It also works well with Smart Connect to programme the phone to perform various tasks, like setting the alarm, or generally setting it to nighttime mode.
It is too expensive for what it is, a very small piece of plastic with magnetic piece, but it is worth having just to save the USB charging cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect bedside companion for the Z2, 13 Jun. 2014
When I first opened the box, I couldn't believe how small the stand was and was expecting something slightly larger.

The phone fits in the stand perfectly, and the magnets guide the phone into the charging position with minimum fuss.
I'm sure like most, your phone is never far away from you, and this little stand makes charging the Z2 so much easier than opening the flaps up.

If you've got a Z2 this is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and dependable., 22 Jun. 2014
R. J. Barrow - See all my reviews
Most charging docks I have used always seem to fall short or, in some cases, over... This dock supports the Z2 and when it is locked into place it is very steady. The magnetic lock slots into place with a satisfying 'clunk' and the whole thing suddenly looks like a very swish TV. My only gripe, and this is no biggy, is that the magnet is a fraction too eager to hold onto the tablet, it's a two handed job to remove the tablet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small quick and quality, 25 Jun. 2015
Good quality product, phone slides into place perfectly and makes a satisfying click as the magnetic port engages, rather like the door of a quality car closing. Adds a little bit of luxury to ones day, and is nice to have with a live wallpaper by your bed as you drop off.

Most docks will not work in landscape mode so it is nice to appreciate how well Sony planned the placement of the magnetic charger. I hope this is something they persist with, rather than the gimmicky battery frying wireless charging that Samsung et al are using now.

I tried 3rd party solutions to this before and they were useless, just do yourself a favour and buy the Sony one, your phone will thank you for it.

Downsides are that it might be a bit light, but then again you can hold the phone and dock easily enough if you want to use it while it is charging up.

I never fail to be impressed with this manufacturer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Xperia Z2 owners, 17 Feb. 2015
No more fiddling with the flap over the USB port, and presents your phone nicely for when you just roll over in bed and want to check the time. There's a nice satisfying click when the magnets line up, so you never accidentally misalign the phone (unless you're struggling to keep your eyes open as you do it, which happened to me once, but I don't think I would have managed the flap in that situation either). Depending on your case, the alternative insert may or may not work for you. I'm using a (non-official) flip case that I have to take my phone out of at night because it simply can't connect, but it doesn't really bother me. If you just have a non-flip case that exposes the dock connector or the official flip case, you shouldn't have any problems charging while in the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only dock to use with the Z3 tablet compact., 2 July 2015
Richje (Ely, Cambs) - See all my reviews
Having had the magnetic charging dock for the Xperia Z1 since I got that phone, when I purchased the Z3 tablet compact this dock was first on my shopping list. In my opinion the magnetic docks should be included with the entire Xperia range that support them as they're excellent and unique, the fact that Sony choose not to is an annoying way to pinch more pennies from our pockets!

Anyway, the T2 dock for the Z3 tablet compact (great name btw Sony!) performs as flawlessly as the Z1 dock and is so much better than fiddling with the little flap that covers the micro usb port every night when you want to charge the tablet!

If you own a Z3 tablet compact, purchasing this dock should be high on your list if accessories.