4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...
Published 11 months ago by Kaiana

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive for what it is
I bought this so I could use my phone as a bedside clock and not have to keep opening the charging flap - I charge it by the bed and use it as an alarm, so this seemed the ideal accessory.

Published 4 months ago by Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sony Desktop Charging Dock for Xperia Z - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The dock looks smart, holds the phone well, and has a quality feel about it. However, it's way too expensive for what it is essentially a bit of black plastic - especially as there's no charger or cable included. When you connect the dock to power and drop your phone in, the home screen rotates to landscape... as long as there's power to it. Disconnect the power and the home screen flips back to portrait. More frustratingly it won't charge from my laptop USB socket - it must be a mains charger. I bought this to sit my phone neatly next to my laptop without having to connect it to the mains power - so it fails on that score.

UPDATE: One month on... I now keep this by the bed to charge the phone during the night and for that it is perfect. When docked, I have the XperiaZ 'Smart Connect' set up to automatically turn off wifi, data and sound etc. and initiate the alarm clock (which over-rides the silent mode!). A slightly different use to what I initially wanted it for, but I've adapted my expectations! It's actually ideal by the bed and saves me constantly opening/closing the USB flap for charging. All in all, I'm now happy with this purchase, so I'm upgrading my rating of 3 stars to 4 stars. Still reckon it's over-priced, though!

UPDATE August 2014: Still using this by the bed, and still find it really useful. However, after a software update my XperiaZ1 wouldn't 'stay awake' in the dock - after a couple of minutes the screen turned off, and I was left with no clock to look at during the night. I got round this with a simple app called 'caffeine' which is free in the Play Store. Works a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Oct 2013
I ordered this yesterday as my charging port broke and would not charge i could not be without a phone. It fits perfectly and that price is certainly alot cheaper than what I would have to pay to get my phone fixed

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Consideration, 24 April 2014
At first glance a lot of money for a matchbox (remember them) sized piece of plastic but it works so well - especially when used in conjunction with the Smart Connect app to alter the phone settings whilst docked. A good solid clunk when the dock is engaged, holding the unit at the perfect viewing angle and an anti-slip treatment on the base that stop it skating around the desk complete the setup. Free postage and packing, and the fact that this is about 8 cheaper from Total Digital, made this accessory an obvious choice. Please be aware this ships with no cable so you will need your own micro-USB to plug into the rear of the unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have bought and tried both the sony dock and a 3rd party dock (TDS)......, 10 Jun 2014
Originally I bought the Sony dock and while I think it could have been better weighted to sit better on a surface it does its job as it should and charges the Z2 at a good rate.

The 3rd party dock I tried, (the best rated Z2 dock on Amazon rated higher than the genuine Sony dock..), looks similar and feels the same. I can only see two differences: 1) The name Sony is not on the item (personal choice as to whether this is important to you so I won’t comment) and 2) it charges at a snail’s pace.

In summary, as such in my opinion, the 3rd party charger is absolutely useless. If you can’t afford an additional 10 for the Sony charger my advice would be to get neither and charge by UBS cable directly only. No point having a phone if it has no juice following a few hours charge!! I would suggest (and I don’t know for sure), that the adapter in the 3rd party dock where the phone connects magnetically is actually for a Z1 i.e. it is not suitable for the Z2.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive for what it is, 12 April 2014
Anonymous (Midlands, Uk) - See all my reviews

Like a lot of people have mentioned, it does not work with phone covers. The phone cover insert must be made for a specific Sony cover, not the cover I have on my phone. Despite cutting a bit of the cover away, it still didn't fit. Fortunately, it balances nicely with no insert, so I can live with it.

I can launch the clock application when the dock is connected, but it won't launch as a desktop clock, so I had to get a third party application from the google play store. Not particularly good

It's expensive for a piece of plastic to support the phone by my bed, but it is useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it, 12 July 2014
M. Petty - See all my reviews
This is hugely overpriced but well manufactured, would be nice if it was slightly bigger and had a heavy weight in it to stop it getting pulled about when inserting and removing the phone but it's nice not to have to bother opening the little waterproof door on the phone and fiddling with micro USB when charging at night. Of course if Sony had made it more convenient to plug a cable in in the first place this wouldn't be an issue. Micro USB sucks because it has to be plugged in a certain way up, whereas Apple's stuff doesn't. In future we need a micro USB 3 connection that is reversible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent magnetic charging dock., 18 Jun 2014
Simple to use. Highly recommend it as it saves the hassle of opening your port of your phone each time you want to charge. Its also great as a stand for your phone on your desk. The only thing I would say is that it is pretty expensive for what it is, 15 would be a more idea price. But if you want to protect your phone, then it gives you a peace of mind that dust isn't going to pour in while you have that lid open during the charge or the worry of liquid spilling from any accidents. Pretty good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as described, 30 Aug 2013
This dock works perfectly.

It's so handy not having to plug the USB lead in all the time and it means the rubber seal will last longer as a result.
The phone screen rotates when it's docked but it doesn't override your existing settings so when it's removed, auto-rotate goes to whatever setting you had it on before.

It's light but well built. As others have noted, it does NOT connect to a pc as the dock pins are for charging only.
The only way around this is to connect it to your PC using wi-fi.

For the price it is a shame that there isn't a cable included but you can just use the standard micro-USB cable that comes with the phone with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 9 Mar 2014
Mr. B. N. THORNTON "Bazman" (Wragby) - See all my reviews
Excellent product which does what it says and charges the xperia z well. Would recommend for all xperia z owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and dependable., 22 Jun 2014
R. J. Barrow - See all my reviews
Most charging docks I have used always seem to fall short or, in some cases, over... This dock supports the Z2 and when it is locked into place it is very steady. The magnetic lock slots into place with a satisfying 'clunk' and the whole thing suddenly looks like a very swish TV. My only gripe, and this is no biggy, is that the magnet is a fraction too eager to hold onto the tablet, it's a two handed job to remove the tablet!