Carnage...check. Blood and gore...check. Fabulous storyline...check. Witty dialogue...check.
Published 15 months ago by BookBunny

1.0 out of 5 stars Series is deteriorating...
Published 14 months ago by Diana Fleming

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to your lunch, people! This is a ride you don't want to miss., 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Stark returns in the fifth Sandman Slim book and he's once again on the warpath the save the world. Even though every book is about saving the world it's amazing how the author is able to come up with so many new and unimaginable ways that makes this series so gripping. Stark is in a race to find the Qomrama Om Ya before the Angra use it to obliterate the universe. To do so, Stark and his friends have to enter Kill City, a condemned mall in Santa Monica that houses many dead and undead creatures with unbelievable hazards in search of a crazy ghost that's been guarding the Qomrama Om Ya. Stark once again gets captured and tortured and those scenes are not for anyone with a weak stomach. Stark isn't Stark if he can't escape and he once again squares off to that crazy angel Aelita. He gets to meat another God in the process and its in that part of the book where you go, "oh yeah, that's so obvious", but you get so absorbed with the storyline that there's no time to spend time thinking whodunit or whoisit. I especially like the scene where Samael (the original Lucifer), Stark (the previous Lucifer) and Mr Munnin (a God splinter and the current Lucifer) sit down for drinks. It's so ludicrous but it just fits perfectly in the series.
This is a cracking read, fast paced and a great improvement on the previous two books. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again. Fantastic., 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Another fantasy thriller from Kadrey, the scene is set perfectly and characters feel like you know them in person. Here's to Sandman Slim never running out of monsters to kill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandman SLim Rocks, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I came to this series late but have them al, have read them all and am looking forward to the next installment. Richard Kadrey has an easy writing style that brings you into the world of Sandman Slim effortlessly, and really you are waiting for him to hit people, shoot things and generally cause mayhem. Brilliant stuff.

The Devil's gladiatorial plaything, then an escapee, he is a killer that you root for from book one.

I won't give anything away about the book, just buy it you will not be disappointed ...

5.0 out of 5 stars yet another great read, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Sandman Slim rides again, on a hog that's not road legal outside of hell. The dialogue is sharp with a rumbling wit that throws out one liners like old faithfully on steroids.

Read the books on order, they are well worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars book 5 rocks, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
this story keeps evolving and the characters are becoming fully and more developed.
munnin, samael and Carlos are a delight when they sporadically appear. the narrative is taut and paced well - kill city was a great little area and the ending was class
so much scope here for interest and ideas, mr kadrey is mining in a fine place for his stories
may the wait for the next sandman slim be short . )

1.0 out of 5 stars Series is deteriorating..., 11 Sep 2013
Diana Fleming - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book in the Sandman Slim series that I haven't rated at least 3 stars. The first couple of books I loved, the last book, I felt betrayed to original character more than I cared for but still rated at least 3 stars. This book, I just got frustrated with. Firstly, I have given up trying to keep track of peripheral characters, they don't add much and the main character is clearly the focus. Secondly, Sandman Slim seemed to rely more on luck than any particular talent this time around. Frankly, he didn't seem particularly impressive, interesting, or bad ass, and I lost interest in him. Didn't like the book, gave up reading it about halfway through an overly lengthy torture scene. A pity, I loved the first few books in the series. Won't be buying the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Richard Kadrey dose it again. Sandman Slim kicks butt and gets kick, stabed and shot. Trying to do the right thing. Absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and inventive, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this one. I was getting a bit worried about repetition but this takes the Angr Om Ya story on and has some wonderful scenes. My favourites are the steps in Kill City though the Sub Rosa torturer comes a close second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and gritty, 7 Aug 2013
Cathy "Audiobook junkie!" (Ilminster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A great opening chapter has Stark, Candy and Samael in Donut Universe while Candy updates Stark and Samael's Wikipedia pages. Stark and his angel half have reunited, he is back to being a nephilim and again has the Key to the Room of Thirteen Doors.

Stark is in a race to find the Qomrama Om Ya, a weapon greater than any other, before the old gods, namely the Angra Om Ya who existed before anything else, can take back and destroy the universe. Aleita has hidden it somewhere and Stark needs to find it before she can do her worst. Which requires a trip to Kill City, a creepy, abandoned shopping mall.

The world building is described in intricate detail and the dialogue and banter between the characters is superb. The violent action is way over the top and there's a serious eww factor as Stark acquires more scars. Some surprise plot developments too.

I love the growth of Stark's character and how he gets a little introspective in this story.

'Most nights I still dream about Hell. I can feel it inside me. It's in the stink of my sweat. Flashing on the place even for a second makes me furious and sometimes afraid and sometimes ashamed of both those things.
On the plus side, I got up close and personal with the killer inside me. I learned I was good at taking lives. Doc Kinski called me a natural-born killer, so now it's what I do. But I don't always like it, and when I do, I don't always like myself for liking it. That's what Hell is. It's the shithole bottom of the universe, but it's a place where you'll learn more about yourself than you ever wanted to know.'

This is gritty urban fantasy at it's darkest. Richard Kadrey's off the wall sense of humour and amazingly imaginative writing, not to mention the unique take on Heaven and Hell and their residents, make this series one of my favourites. The cast of characters, some new and others returning from previous books, is as bizarre and outlandish as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, fast paced and dark, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I loved the whole Sandman Slim series of books. I came across them purely by accident, but I'm so glad I did. They are the literary equivalent of a good Tarantino flick - lots of action, violent and with enough humour to mitigate the darkness. Sandman Slim is an anti-hero, who despite himself, ends up doing good things whether he likes it or not. His co-characters are all well formed and are properly thought out individuals who complement what's happening in the narrative. There are a few red-herrings thrown in so that the story isn't exactly linear, and the sparkle of the writing definitely keeps you on your toes. I read all the books back to back, and hope that there will be more to follow.

Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim Book 5)