5.0 out of 5 stars The Rose of York: Love and War by Sandra Worth
Published on 11 Mar. 2004 by lynne-lewis2

2.0 out of 5 stars All right.
Published on 26 Jan. 2009 by Puskas

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rose of York: Love and War by Sandra Worth, 11 Mar. 2004
Subject: Your Amazon.co.uk Inquiry From: info@amazon.co.uk This novel, set in the fifteenth century during England's turbulent Wars of the Roses, is a pure joy from start to finish- one of the best novels on the life of Richard III I've ever read- a breathtaking and passionate story of Richard's early life and his love for Anne Neville, Warwick the Kingmaker's daughter. It makes the character of Richard III come very much alive in prose that is powerful and vivid, gripping and deeply moving. If you are looking for Shakespeare's villainous, crooked, scheming King Richard, don't look for him here. This story is about Richard as a hero and lover, a man of loyalty, integrity and honour. Once I'd started reading Love and War, I couldn't put it down again until I'd read the very last sentence- it just makes you want to keep turning the pages! I'm very much looking forward to the second novel in Sandra Worth's Richard III series, "Crown of Destiny.

2.0 out of 5 stars All right., 26 Jan. 2009
Puskas "Mortensen" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
Like others, I don't know why this novel has won so many awards. She was better on 'war' than on 'love'. The love bits were simperingly twee. Some of the portrayals of warfare and loyalty dilemmmas were really rather good. I gained my knowledge of Richard from Shakespeare, so another perspective was interesting, but the writing wasn't very good in this one. On, like many have said, to Sharon Penman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weirdly Similar, 16 Feb. 2013
R. M. Gray "RG" (UK) - See all my reviews
I got half way through this book and thought I'd brought up The Sunne In Splendour ( which is a fantastic read btw) by accident as I'd read it first on my kindle. However I hadn't but whole parts of this book are VERY similar to it to the point I thought I was actually reading it. It looked like a copy and paste job in parts. I cannot believe no one else has noticed. Apart from that is was fairly rubbish tbh. I didn't make it to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, 2 Mar. 2013
Elizabeth Batt "Elizabeth Batt" (Coram, Montana United States) - See all my reviews
As a Lestrian, it was wonderful to see Richard III not portrayed as the villain that Shakespeare and historical writers seem to assume he was.
Worth's book recognises Richard for his achievements - that of "Blind Justice" and the legal system he established, that saw all men as equal and formed the very basis of western democracy.

This book is not simply a chronicle of history, for Worth - a superb story teller, introduces us to Richard the child in the first of a planned trilogy. As Richard grows and begins his quest to find the essence of Knighthood, England is beset by turmoil and both his heart and his loyalty are questioned and tested repeatedly.

Stay away from following the stereotypical and much debated view of one of England's greatest kings. You'll be much better served to purchase yourself a copy of this book. Buy this with Wendy J Dunn's "Dear Heart, How Like You This," for an unprecendented and masterful look into England's true history. A look I doubt you'll easily forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORY BROUGHT TO LIFE, 25 Feb. 2013
Reader (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
When I was asked by the author to review this book, I was very happy to do so. Although based on actual characters from history, it's not a book listing facts and dates, as text book might. No this is a dramatised tale. Of course the author has used artistic licence, giving her interpretation of the characters motivation and actions.
Richard III depending on your viewpoint was much maligned, or a monster responsible for the death of the two princes in the tower. As to the truth of that, who knows it might have been him or Henry Tudor, or neither. Why this particular event in history has become so notorious is puzzling to me. Many other atrocities committed by kings and queens past are probably far worse.

This book covers Richards early life, his first meeting with Ann Neville, the daughter of the Earl of Warwick, also known as "The Kingmaker". Richard is captivated by Ann and they become fast friends, as they get older Richard hopes to marry Ann but his brother the king, Edward IV does not give permission. Eventually when Warwick changes sides after falling out with Edward, Warwick marries Ann to HenryVI son and heir, Edward of Westmister.

The story takes the reader through all the turbulent events of the time, making history come alive on the page. I have no opinion as to whether Richard was bad or good. He was a man born in medieval England, things that we today think of as barbaric were considered commonplace then. It was a violent period in history, with the crown of England as the prize. Men do things they might not otherwise do for a crown.
The author is obviously in the Richard is good camp, that's easy to tell from her portrayal of his character. There are an awful lot of characters in this and at times it's hard to keep track of who's who, even more so for those like me who are not historians.
But I really enjoyed reading this, it's extremely well written.
ARC provided by the author

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable read, 3 Jan. 2013
Bit slow to get started and a bit 'soppy' but it improved as it went along and became more intelligent.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 13 Sept. 2013
Ive read all three of the books in this triology they are superbly written, much ,much better than Phillipa Gregory' White Queen series ( Ive read those also)
I was just sad that they had to end. Read the books in a few days just couldnt put them down they were that good

3.0 out of 5 stars The rose of York, 23 Mar. 2014
I think it should be mentioned on the sellers list that this book is the same as Love and War but with different cover.
and in one place it has only the words - The Rose of York!!.to save people like myself buying two books instead of one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn! Yawn!, 16 Nov. 2008
I don't understand how or why this book has won so many awards. Reading it was a painfully dull process. Many inaccuracies, which always spoil any historical novel for me. As for the characters - shallow, unexciting and colourless. I only finished the book because I always finsh books once I have started them. I won't be reading the next two in the trilogy. I definitely would not recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passionate romance on Richard III with a few flaws, 12 Jun. 2014
While describing the historical background facts (War of the Roses, or Cousins' War as you prefer) of the romance between Richard, future king of England, and his young would-be wife Anne Nevile, the author sways from some original intutions and beautifully depicted chapters to passages that are a blatant "copy and paste" from Paul Murray Kendall's biography of Richard III and other sources on the same subject. Had Ms Worth put more effort in keeping up with the originality she seems to be capable of, she would have achieved a less uneven outcome and would have earned an even better review. The romance is enjoyably portrayed.