5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding mount
Before I start, I'll just stress that I don't work for the people who make these, this is a genuine user review. I read a few of the reviews before buying and immediately thought they were from employees as they were just too complimentary!

Published 21 months ago by Mr. N. Wildman

Published 4 months ago by William Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding mount, 14 Jun. 2013
Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MONTAR Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS One Hand 360 Rotation Best Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For Samsung Apple HTC Nokia Blackberry Motorola Sony Ericsson LG iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4 (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I've always had trouble finding a decent car mount for whatever phone I've had at the time. One or all of the same old issues always pop up: the suction is rubbish and the mount falls off, the holder itself doesn't grip the phone so the phone falls out, the mount wobbles while driving and results in the phone not staying where you want it to or the holder covers up the charging/headphone port. I am very glad to report that this mount has none of these problems.

Suction: the only problem you'll have here is getting the thing to un-stick! The mount uses a lever which secures the bottom to whatever surface you're using but to be honest, it doesn't need it as it sticks brilliantly without it! I attached the mount to my dashboard but when I tried remove it, it took a lot of effort. You don't need to worry about this coming off mid-drive.

The phone holder: this consists of a spring loaded clip with a rubber inlay that grips the phone. Unlike some spring loaded ones I've tried before, this one is very strong and grips the phone very tightly. There's no danger of the phone falling out once it's secured. The other obvious benefit is that the clip has a wide opening range meaning that you'll be hard pressed to find a phone that will be too big for it. The rubber inlay prevents the phone slipping and also protects it from scratches etc.

Wobble: a lot of mounts have long necks that wobble during driving and the phone position changes. This mount is made of a solid plastic block so that problem is negated but where this product really shines is the ability to tighten the back of the gripping head once it is in position so that it won't move. I live in the a**** end of nowhere and the potholed country roads provide a stern test but I can promise you the phone didn't move an inch after I had tightened the head. You can change the orientation i.e. landscape/portrait or anything in between of the phone prior to tightening the head so you can have it where you want. This is the main selling point for me as the phone moving in transit really p***** me off. I am absolutely chuffed with this and it alone justifies the asking price in my opinion.

Charging port: This won't be a problem in the vast majority of cases as you can choose where the head will grip the phone to make sure the ports are unobstructed. Due to the strength of the grip, it doesn't matter if the phone has to be gripped at the end rather than the middle.

The only issue I can see is that if you have a long phone like mine (S4), the slightly sloped bottom end of the mount means that you may not be able to have the phone standing completely upright while being gripped, it may lean to a very slight angle. This however can be easily overcome by having the head in the horizonal position if it bothers you but the angle is so slight it didn't bother me.

In conclusion, this really is a fantastic product, it's the first one I've found that ticks all the boxes and looks quite stylish while doing it. I very rarely give anything 5 stars but this mount deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid well made car mount that doesn't fall off, 25 Jun. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
Note: The supplier sent me a review sample to test, no attempt was made to influence my opinion of the product.

The Montar car mount is universal mount for smart-phones with an attractive glossy black finish. You get a pre fitted cleanable sticky pad at the bottom, you can wipe this clean with a damp cloth and let it dry, it retains the sticky nature on the pad.

You can fit the mount to either a windscreen or dash. There is a supplied 3M stick pad for dash fitting, you remove the cover and stick it down, then put the mount on it and lock it down. It won't mark the dash with the 3M pad placed there. The main jaws that hold the phone are just over 5 cm when closed and can open up to around 9.5cm max, they are spring loaded so close up around any phone fitted, with red rubber which has grooves to hold a phone in place without damaging it. There is a locking nut around the base of the jaws so you can swivel it around to the require position (tilt and angle)

I prefer to fit to a windscreen and the device was very solid when placed here due to the combination of the sticky rubber and locking it down held it securely in place. Even in warm weather there is no sign of movement or falling off. Do make sure to clean the windscreen before applying as they can build up residue over time. There is a tab at the bottom of the rubber mount to help removing it, it does take a bit of effort to pull it off, so make sure you use the tab to help.

A nice product, well built and effective. It's a bit more expensive than some other mounts I've tried, but to date this is the best built unit I've tested by some margin.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Effective Smartphone Holder for Car Windscreens, Less So for Dashboards, 13 Nov. 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a very handy and practical universal car mount for smartphones, including iPhones and Samsung Galaxies, I use mine with an iPhone 6. The suction pad for attachment to a car windscreen has a reassuringly tenacious grip. You depress a lever on the base of the mount to secure the attachment, and then pull the lever up to enable you to pull the mount away from the windscreen. The holder for the smartphone has adjustable arms, which hold your 'phone very securely, but not so tightly as to leave marks on either your 'phone or its protective cover. The mount can be rotated through a full 360 degrees, so that you can view your smartphone vertically or horizontally. The holder comes with a circular 3M adhesive pad, to hold the mount on surfaces where the suction pad doesn't work, such as breathable surfaces. However, my own experience is that the 3M pad doesn't work. I've placed the 3M pad on the dashboards of a Suzuki SX4, Subaru Impreza WRX, BMW 335i and BMW 130i, and it was unable to hold the mount in place.
In short, this smartphone holder works absolutely fine on car windscreens, but it doesn't combine well with the 3M pad, which means that I can't use this device on top of a car dashboard. If you want a dashboard rather than windscreen mount, you might want to look elsewhere.
Thanks for taking the time to read this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with good sticking power, 3 Dec. 2014
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I'm comparing this product to several sat nav holders purchased from a variety of major brands. The holder is light but made from a strong plastic. It has a quality feel as much as it is possible to describe plastic as quality. I have to say the sticking power of this holder is awesome. The cap comes with a protective film to be removed before use. The bottom cap is very sticky, so sticky infact I thought it was a once only stick like glue product, to mounted and forgot, but no it comes off to be stored in a glove box, or mounted in a different place. The bottom suction cap has a lever to create a vacuum with the cap. On a flat surface, I didn't even need to engage this when mounting vertically, but did use it for window mounting. Being very sticky it did pick up dust off the dashboard, but a wash in water with a mild detergent removed the dirt and restored full stick.

The holder has a strong spring and it held equally well a Samsung Galaxy Note II in a case (a wide product ) and an iPhone 5, considerably slimmer. The iPhone did move a little if the holder was waved about, but in use its stayed in place. The head is on a ball joint so the holder can be put at any angle. The ball joint is quite stiff, the head stays pretty much in place, but there is a screw lock on the back to fix it 100%.

I mounted the product on windows and a ridged dashboard and it held firm. The dashboard would never have been an option with the old sat nav. The product also comes with an additional non reusable mount. The packaging states for porous surfaces, I don't have any of these and am not sure where it would be used, perhaps if you have leather trim in the car?

Although this is a product desiged for a car I can imagine leaving the phone in the holder and sticking this on the fridge freezer or high level kitchen cupboards to read receipes whilst cooking.

Theres not really any negatives except to say that I didn't find it one hand operation, I needed to two hands to remove it from the dashboard.

Over all highly recommended.

N.B. This product was sent to me for review by the manufacturers at no cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most secure phone holder I've ever used, 12 Mar. 2015
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
When I first received this I thought it looked quite bulky and cumbersome - but then I tried it out and my views changed completely. The designers have put a lot of thought into the design and they've got it exactly right. It's sturdy, it's robust and, most of all, it holds a phone securely and doesn't fall off.

The unit has a 74mm diameter base providing good contact with a dashboard or windscreen and is held in place by a very firm sucker assisted by a lever built into the base adding additional pressure and this ensures a strong seal between the mount and its surface and the mount remains secure even in a vehicle facing into direct sun or cold, damp weather - and not many suction holders could boast this.

The phone holder itself is at exactly the right angle whether the mount is used on the dashboard or windscreen and the screw fitting can adjust the phone position further to hold the phone vertically or horizontally which is perfect for use in sat-nav mode while also ensuring the sun isn't reflecting on the screen. In its closed position it is about 60mm wide but can expand to 75mm to hold a range of phones or even a small sat-nav.

This is an exceptionally well-designed and well-built phone holder - one of the best I've used, if not the best, and it doesn't require sticking any magnets to the back either.

A most definite 5-stars and I would recommend it to anyone with no hesitation. Well done Montar!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Aug. 2014
I've found this item invaluable. It holds my Samsung smart phone beautifully, both ways and never, ever comes unstuck. In fact, when I tried to move it to another car I thought the windscreen was gonna come out attached to the holder! That thing is super sticky, able to stick to glass and textured dash equally well. If anything, it's too damned sticky! I had one incident with it though when trying to fit my tom tom sat nave in landscape. The thing ejected the sat nav which fell out of the car onto the Tarmac. After a prolonged search it was located underneath the car, binned the front tyre. I'll be more careful in future, the spring in the clamp is very strong. so in summary: I would definitely recommend it and would buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stand for dashboard!, 2 Nov. 2013
smartyPants "Smartypants" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Been looking for a car mount for my iphone 5 for months - I wanted to try & find one that connects to the fascia, or one of the ones that mount on the air vents. But none of them get great reviews & when you spend a lot of money on an iphone, I didnt want to risk getting it damaged. So decided to try out this one as very good reviews.

I drive a Seat Leon MK1, the dashboard has slightcurve to it, but this mount stays firmly stuck to the dashboard. Been using for about a month & driven about 2,000 miles with no issue. I havent had to remove & clean it to get it to stick again as it hasnt lost its grip in the past month. My wife has a really expensive mount which fits an iphone 5 perfectly but ONLY if you take the case off! This one expands, so I never need to take the case off the iphone.

I use with an iPhone 5, but will work with pretty much all phones.

So, wasnt exactly what I was looking for, as would have preferred a docking solution that sat lower, but this works & best solution I have come across.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Car Mount, 12 Mar. 2015
Paul E (Derbyshire (UK)) - See all my reviews
This MONTAR Universal Car Mount by Winnergear, is designed to hold your Smartphone or Satnav etc. to the windscreen or dashboard of your vehicle. Like a few other car mounts I've tried, this one employs a vacuum suction cup (operated by a lever) with a tacky-gel coating to give additional adhesion - this allows the mount to be fitted directly to the windscreen. For dashboard use, or use on a porous surface, a round plastic disc has been provided, which can be permanently stuck down via. it's 3M adhesive side. The mount is now placed onto the smooth side of this disc.

A spring-loaded clamp, with two jaws, is connected to the main body of the mount by means of a ball joint with lock nut. Whatever device you wish to hold, is placed within the spring-loaded jaws, by pulling them both open. The jaws are fitted with red-coloured protective inserts to prevent marking your phone. This material is also ribbed which provides a better grip by slightly deforming to the contours of the phone within it's jaws. This works very well when tested with my LG L40 Smartphone still in it's flip case. The phone stayed within the jaws even when driving over roughly-surfaced roads and pot-holes.

The ball-joint mechanism allows the jaws/phone, to be moved from landscape to portrait viewing, in addition to left, right, up and down positions. Turning the lock nut, secures the jaws in the final position you've chosen and keeps them there.

So, to sum up, this is a nicely-engineered mount and works very well in practice. It's quite attractive, the main body being constructed from a piano-black plastic material.

The mount stays firmly attached, due to the additional adhesion provided by the tacky-gel coating, but this also makes it more difficult to remove. A pull-release tab is provided which allows air into the suction cup but it still requires quite a tug to break the hold of the tacky gel coating before this can occur. An option to fit the mount using vacuum-only (i.e. without the tacky-gel coating - just for windscreen use) would probably be sufficient to hold the mount/phone and would make it easier to remove.

This mount is still one of the best car mounts I've tried ... Recommended.

I was kindly provided with a sample of this product for evaluation and unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A top flight car mount, 10 Mar. 2015
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This Montar WG-CMM02013 Car Mount is a high quality holder for your smartphone or other device that can be dashboard or windscreen mounted. In the transparent box you get the mount and a 3M branded adhesive pad which you can stick almost anywhere and then clamp the holder to it via its reusable suction base. The immediate "out of the box" impression is that this this is a beautifully manufactured holder that will look at home in almost any car including top marques like Audi, Mercedes or others.

The whole unit is made from high quality gloss black plastic. The inside of clamp is finished in a ribbed red rubber material to protect your device and can be used with up to 5.3" sized screens. The firmly spring loaded clamp can be used in horizontally or vertically or, in any position throughout the 360 degrees of rotation it offers. This flexibility means the mount could be used for a smartphone in a vertical position or satnav in horizontal orientation for example. The screen angle is adjustable by tilting the clamp on a ratchet and it can be locked into position by tightening a knurled knob.

The stand mounts by pressing it into place with the reusable gel suction mount and pushing a locking lever. Once locked the unit clings like a limpet to the windscreen, supplied adhesive pad or other surface. Removal is achieved by unlocking the lever and gently lifting the rubber tab on the suction pad to break the seal.

In use this Montar car holder is excellent - I tried it with my phone and satnav and both devices were held firmly and with minimal vibration. This is one of the few phone/device holders I've used that actually works and at the same time looks elegant, in fact, as though it is an original part of the car. Recommended.

(This phone holder was supplied for my review).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dash or Windscreen Mount. Robust Design. Strong Suction., 19 Mar. 2015
Lots of competition for a product like this, most are cheap and inferior. In a former life my work was in-car installer, I've fitted a ton of car phone car kits. Typically brackets for dashes and windscreens are hit and miss with poor suction. The Montar is the polar opposite, it's absolutely superb. Strong, robust with a great design, and 360 degree rotation.

Features:

- Compatible with all mobile devices up to 5.3 inch screen size
- Works with GPS devices
- 360 degree rotation
- One hand installation
- Works on any flat surface; Dashboard / Windscreen
- Max device weight 3.5 Kg
- World's strongest suction cup design