5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding mount
Before I start, I'll just stress that I don't work for the people who make these, this is a genuine user review. I read a few of the reviews before buying and immediately thought they were from employees as they were just too complimentary!

Published 23 months ago by Mr. N. Wildman

Published 6 months ago by William Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding mount, 14 Jun. 2013
Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MONTAR Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS One Hand 360 Rotation Best Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For Samsung Apple HTC Nokia Blackberry Motorola Sony Ericsson LG iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4 (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I've always had trouble finding a decent car mount for whatever phone I've had at the time. One or all of the same old issues always pop up: the suction is rubbish and the mount falls off, the holder itself doesn't grip the phone so the phone falls out, the mount wobbles while driving and results in the phone not staying where you want it to or the holder covers up the charging/headphone port. I am very glad to report that this mount has none of these problems.

Suction: the only problem you'll have here is getting the thing to un-stick! The mount uses a lever which secures the bottom to whatever surface you're using but to be honest, it doesn't need it as it sticks brilliantly without it! I attached the mount to my dashboard but when I tried remove it, it took a lot of effort. You don't need to worry about this coming off mid-drive.

The phone holder: this consists of a spring loaded clip with a rubber inlay that grips the phone. Unlike some spring loaded ones I've tried before, this one is very strong and grips the phone very tightly. There's no danger of the phone falling out once it's secured. The other obvious benefit is that the clip has a wide opening range meaning that you'll be hard pressed to find a phone that will be too big for it. The rubber inlay prevents the phone slipping and also protects it from scratches etc.

Wobble: a lot of mounts have long necks that wobble during driving and the phone position changes. This mount is made of a solid plastic block so that problem is negated but where this product really shines is the ability to tighten the back of the gripping head once it is in position so that it won't move. I live in the a**** end of nowhere and the potholed country roads provide a stern test but I can promise you the phone didn't move an inch after I had tightened the head. You can change the orientation i.e. landscape/portrait or anything in between of the phone prior to tightening the head so you can have it where you want. This is the main selling point for me as the phone moving in transit really p***** me off. I am absolutely chuffed with this and it alone justifies the asking price in my opinion.

Charging port: This won't be a problem in the vast majority of cases as you can choose where the head will grip the phone to make sure the ports are unobstructed. Due to the strength of the grip, it doesn't matter if the phone has to be gripped at the end rather than the middle.

The only issue I can see is that if you have a long phone like mine (S4), the slightly sloped bottom end of the mount means that you may not be able to have the phone standing completely upright while being gripped, it may lean to a very slight angle. This however can be easily overcome by having the head in the horizonal position if it bothers you but the angle is so slight it didn't bother me.

In conclusion, this really is a fantastic product, it's the first one I've found that ticks all the boxes and looks quite stylish while doing it. I very rarely give anything 5 stars but this mount deserves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Car Mount, 12 Mar. 2015
Paul E (Derbyshire (UK)) - See all my reviews
This MONTAR Universal Car Mount by Winnergear, is designed to hold your Smartphone or Satnav etc. to the windscreen or dashboard of your vehicle. Like a few other car mounts I've tried, this one employs a vacuum suction cup (operated by a lever) with a tacky-gel coating to give additional adhesion - this allows the mount to be fitted directly to the windscreen. For dashboard use, or use on a porous surface, a round plastic disc has been provided, which can be permanently stuck down via. it's 3M adhesive side. The mount is now placed onto the smooth side of this disc.

A spring-loaded clamp, with two jaws, is connected to the main body of the mount by means of a ball joint with lock nut. Whatever device you wish to hold, is placed within the spring-loaded jaws, by pulling them both open. The jaws are fitted with red-coloured protective inserts to prevent marking your phone. This material is also ribbed which provides a better grip by slightly deforming to the contours of the phone within it's jaws. This works very well when tested with my LG L40 Smartphone still in it's flip case. The phone stayed within the jaws even when driving over roughly-surfaced roads and pot-holes.

The ball-joint mechanism allows the jaws/phone, to be moved from landscape to portrait viewing, in addition to left, right, up and down positions. Turning the lock nut, secures the jaws in the final position you've chosen and keeps them there.

So, to sum up, this is a nicely-engineered mount and works very well in practice. It's quite attractive, the main body being constructed from a piano-black plastic material.

The mount stays firmly attached, due to the additional adhesion provided by the tacky-gel coating, but this also makes it more difficult to remove. A pull-release tab is provided which allows air into the suction cup but it still requires quite a tug to break the hold of the tacky gel coating before this can occur. An option to fit the mount using vacuum-only (i.e. without the tacky-gel coating - just for windscreen use) would probably be sufficient to hold the mount/phone and would make it easier to remove.

This mount is still one of the best car mounts I've tried ... Recommended.

I was kindly provided with a sample of this product for evaluation and unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great car mount!, 27 April 2015
Finding the right car mount can be troubling, some aren't sturdy, some of the build qualities are terrible and some don't even stay in the right place. With this, it's different!

When WinnerGear approached me to do this review, I couldn't decline! I have been using this in my car for a week now and it's just amazing! The suction cup on this baby is unreal! The mount uses a lever to suction onto the surface e.g. dashboard, window and once it's on, it ain't coming off! It was securely in place when I mounted it to the dashboard and didn't show any signs of coming loose.

The phone holder itself consists of a spring loaded clip with a rubber texture that grips the phone securely and doesn't damage the phone. The clip opens up pretty wide and big phones such as the Galaxy Note won't have problems sitting in it. A lot of car mounts are quite big, they stand up tall and this gives it room to wobble. With this car mount, it's not the case. The mount is made of a solid plastic and it's compact. It provides just the right height on the phone for when driving. You can rotate the clip a whole 360 degrees so you can either use your phone in portrait or landscape, this is good is you're using a GPS application or Google Maps etc

Compared to other car mounts I have tried, this has come out on top and I had never, ever heard of WinnerGear before they contacted me but I am very pleased that they did and I am grateful they reached out to me to allow me to review such an amazing and helpful product! All in all, I'd recommend this to anyone who is sick and tired of car mounts that just don't do the job properly and are not sturdy enough to hold large phones.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Effective Smartphone Holder for Car Windscreens, Less So for Dashboards, 13 Nov. 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a very handy and practical universal car mount for smartphones, including iPhones and Samsung Galaxies, I use mine with an iPhone 6. The suction pad for attachment to a car windscreen has a reassuringly tenacious grip. You depress a lever on the base of the mount to secure the attachment, and then pull the lever up to enable you to pull the mount away from the windscreen. The holder for the smartphone has adjustable arms, which hold your 'phone very securely, but not so tightly as to leave marks on either your 'phone or its protective cover. The mount can be rotated through a full 360 degrees, so that you can view your smartphone vertically or horizontally. The holder comes with a circular 3M adhesive pad, to hold the mount on surfaces where the suction pad doesn't work, such as breathable surfaces. However, my own experience is that the 3M pad doesn't work. I've placed the 3M pad on the dashboards of a Suzuki SX4, Subaru Impreza WRX, BMW 335i and BMW 130i, and it was unable to hold the mount in place.
In short, this smartphone holder works absolutely fine on car windscreens, but it doesn't combine well with the 3M pad, which means that I can't use this device on top of a car dashboard. If you want a dashboard rather than windscreen mount, you might want to look elsewhere.
Thanks for taking the time to read this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Strong Stays Securely Still, 10 May 2015
niki j turner "njturner" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Most car mounts and cradles seem to suffer from one of two problems - they either don't stay stuck and fall down mid-drive or they don't hold the device still.

The Montar universal mount seems to have both of those licked. We affixed it to the windscreen of our car as that's more convenient than using the dashboard. The mount has a lever to control the suction cup and it works like a charm - the phone is held rock steady, no matter what road you're driving on. The lever makes it easy to remove - just raise it and the suction cup detaches.

The arms to hold the phone have red rubber at the points of contact with the device being held and they haven't caused any damage to our phone cases. That said, the arms grip the device quite securely so for bigger phones you will probably need to use two hands to open them (we certainly did).

Once the device is mounted it can be rotated through 360 degrees, making both portrait and landscape orientations and anything inbetween possible. This makes it easy to achieve the positioning you want and leave the charging port accessible.

For those who'd prefer to attach the device to a breathable or uneven surface (eg some dashboards) a disc of 3M film is provided. We haven't tried on anything but a windscreen so can't comment on its effectiveness.

We've used it both an iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and the mount had no problem holding them (the phone shown in the photo is a 6 Plus in a case). I'm guessing that if it can hold a 6 Plus it can hold pretty much any large phone!

Looks-wise, be aware that it is fairly large (the box is 9.5cm x 12cm x 10cm, which should give you and idea) and it is quite bright in colour (gloss black plastic and red rubber on the arms).

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product. Beautifully designed and holds my iPhone rock solidly secure on the dash or the window, even in thick case!, 2 May 2015
Celticprincess "What you send out, comes back... (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Up until now I had not even contemplated using a car mount to house my iPhone in the car as I assumed, quite wrongly, that I wouldn’t be able to use one on account of the chunky ruggedness of my iPhone case. I thought it wouldn’t fit in one. That’s where this comes into its own, it fits! even though my case increases the thickness of my iPhone substantially!

When the Montar Universal Car Mount arrived at my home for evaluation and review I was initially struck by the premium quality of the packaging and how good it looked from inside the clear fronted box. I have to admit to liking products that have a premium look as well as premium build. This unit is outstanding in build quality. Its strong and super sturdy and I love the glossy black colour with the striking red of the rubber grips. It looked good! My car has black trim and is metallic black in colour so I was delighted that it would look good on my dash.

The first thing I did before I even thought about taking it out to the car was see if it actually fit my iPhone housed in a big chunky case. Remarkably it did and with ease! The adjustable red rubber grips leave more than enough to take my iPhone in its case and I was reassured by the rubber offering protection against scratching if my phone had not been in a case. It wasn’t going to damage the phones of buyers who don’t use cases.

The other thing I was curious about was its stability in my car, both immobile and whilst driving. I very easily secured it with the US Patented Montar suction cup and it was so secure on my dash and I mean solidly attached. I had confidence that it wasn’t going to go anywhere and that my phone was totally secure immediately even before I set off driving with it. My first test drive with the Montar Universal Mount was fun! I shot a video that I narrated as I drove and it all was possible because I was using this superb bit of kit. Whilst I was recording video as I drove I had my phone in the landscape position. On a later drive I turned it around as I was using my iPhone to play music. On no occasion did my mount move at all nor was my phone unstable in any way on the dash.

I’ve since tested this unit for use also on my windscreen and it secures perfectly and as the head has a 360 degree free rotation I could position my phone how I liked. I read in the instructions that if ever the rubber suction cup gets dirty all you need to do is run it under a tap and dry it and that’s it. So easy to look after and I know I will get years and years of use from this, the build quality is that good.

When I cleaned the inside of my car the other week it was easy to remove, just simply pulling up the lever at the base of the mount. It all rather simple to operate and use and looking at the adjustability of the rubber grips this car mount will fit any phone, be it in a slim case, a big chunky case like mine or it doesn’t have a case. Whatever phone you use, this mount will work for you. I’ve tested it with my iPhone only as I only use iPhones :)

I wonder how I managed without it now I have one, its a superb product that I really love. Its exceptionally well made and looks really good, it works perfectly at securing my phone and I can now use my iPhone on the dash with the GPS software inside it and can also shoot video whilst I drive. Remarkable and I find it invaluable to me.

Superb product that does everything it promises and does it exceptionally well. This universal car mount is solid, secure and totally reliable. A winning product and its been designed so beautifully too.

I’ve been using this daily now for weeks and I love it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED A+++++

NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stand for dashboard!, 2 Nov. 2013
smartyPants "Smartypants" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Been looking for a car mount for my iphone 5 for months - I wanted to try & find one that connects to the fascia, or one of the ones that mount on the air vents. But none of them get great reviews & when you spend a lot of money on an iphone, I didnt want to risk getting it damaged. So decided to try out this one as very good reviews.

I drive a Seat Leon MK1, the dashboard has slightcurve to it, but this mount stays firmly stuck to the dashboard. Been using for about a month & driven about 2,000 miles with no issue. I havent had to remove & clean it to get it to stick again as it hasnt lost its grip in the past month. My wife has a really expensive mount which fits an iphone 5 perfectly but ONLY if you take the case off! This one expands, so I never need to take the case off the iphone.

I use with an iPhone 5, but will work with pretty much all phones.

So, wasnt exactly what I was looking for, as would have preferred a docking solution that sat lower, but this works & best solution I have come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Cell Phone Mount for Car or any Flat Smooth Surface Anywhere, 21 May 2015
Excellent Adhering properties, Accommodates Extra Large Cell Phones with case, No Pinched fingers, Versatile Rotation for Horizontal or Vertical Viewing Angles

Of all the car mounts that I have tested and tried over the past year, the Montar car mount is definitely the best regarding holding a large phone securely, and for the suction to remain adhered to the windshield.

The Montar car mount design is superior to my other car mounts. This car mount is a little larger and thicker than all my others are, the suction mount is very strong with a three-inch diameter, and it has a solid fastening clamp. The clamp that grasps the cell is a U shape design with a rubberized and grooved lining along the back and the one-inch sides that protrude from the expandable bar. There are two advantages of the one-inch side clamps on the spring expandable bar, they hold the cell phone more securely, and my fingers are not pinched upon opening the expanding brace. The brace expands to hold my Galaxy Note 3 while in the case, therefore it will accommodate 3 ½” width, and any size length. This brace also has the capacity to swivel 360 degrees, which gives the versatility of a horizontal or vertical viewing angle.

Previously, I favored the magnetic dashboard/windshield car mounts because I did not like going through the effort of removing and replacing the cell phone case, however since my dashboard has a textured finish, all adhesive mounts eventually fall off. When placed on my windshield, the magnetic mounts would sometimes let my Note 3 slide off due to the lack of any support bar on the mount. However, the Montar car mount easily accommodates the Galaxy Note 3 phone, I do not have to remove the phone case and the one-inch sides hold my phone securely.

I no longer care for the vent mounts for my Note 3 for two reasons.
1. The phone blocks the air coming from the vent, and I need the air conditioning blowing directly on me in the hot weather.
2. The noise of the fan and blowing air interferes with phone reception for the party on the other end.

In conclusion, I have had the Montar car mount adhered to my windshield for approximately 6 weeks, and I have not had a single negative issue, it accommodates my heavy Note 3 with its case, and my fingers do NOT get pinched in the process of placement or removal.

I received a sample for an evaluation, but statements and opinions are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock solid mount that even worked on a curved, textured dashboard - just difficult to remove, 14 May 2015
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A couple of times recently, for boring technical reasons, I haven't been able to use my Sat Nav and instead used my phone for GPS navigation. The software was fine, but the problem I faced was keeping the thing somewhere it could pick up GPS satellites and I could see it if necessary.

Luckily, one of my daughters had left an old car phone mount lying around the house. The theory was good - a sprung clamp held the phone in place and the thing attached to the windscreen with a suction cup. But the practice wasn't so good. Because the arm was long, the phone wobbled up and down with every little bump we came across, and though all seemed well for about an hour, the mount would then, at random (and usually during a difficult manoeuvre like going around a roundabout) fall off the windscreen, sending my precious iPhone plunging towards the floor and my leaving me navigationally challenged.

Dismissing the old device, I've now got hold of something significantly better. Apart from anything, the Montar mount looks stylish and is well finished. But most importantly, it has so far stayed in place despite everything I've thrown at it. I don't usually leave a mount in place all the time, but as an experiment I left this on all day, then came back to it in the evening, inserting the phone for a two hour drive - and it stayed suitably stuck. In fact, so stuck that I couldn't get it off initially and had to wait until the sun warmed the car up before I could move it.

This was doubly impressive because, unlike the old kit, this one was fixed to the dashboard rather than the window. Like many modern dashboards, mine, on a Hyundai i30, presents serious challenges for any would-be attachment. The dashboard surface is curved, not flat, and textured too. I had assumed that getting a suction cup to fix would be impossible. But the Montar mount has a sticky gel bottom surface on the sucker than gave it a surprising grip on that unlikely surface. (If all else fails, it comes with a stick-on smooth disc to leave on your dash, but I don't like sticking things to my car, and I didn't need it for my dashboard.)

That apart, it's a 'no news is good news' report. It did its job. The phone stayed where it should, didn't wobble about, didn't fall off and was easily accessible. Because the mount was so solid I could insert the phone or remove it with one hand, without risking dislodging the whole thing.

It's not the cheapest car mount for a phone, but certainly the most impressive I've seen. Apparently I may need to 'wipe the gel suction bottom [sic] gently with wet cloth and dry completely until the stickiness comes back,' which I hope I don't have to do too often, as my idea of a car accessory is something you shove in the glove compartment and come back to three months later and it just works. But hopefully that maintenance will only be required now and again. Otherwise, it's a real success.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Best Mounts You Can Get., 26 April 2015
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The MONTAR Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS is one of the best that I have tested and used.

The simple reason is it has the best suction to secure it to the windscreen and it grips the phone so well.

Really that is all you need to know the above and that it is one of the best on the market.

If you want to know a little more read on.....

Oh you do?
Here goes.

Now I tested mine out.

In practice if stuck well and even though I drove through Hull's (City of Culture 2017!!) roads- potholes and all along with Speed Humps (why they spend a fortune of making the roads as smooth as possible then add bumps is beyond me?)
The mount stuck fast.

Now whilst that was not quite a land rover trip along the rutted tracks of the Serengeti National Park it was a rough ride and an excellent test of the robust and 'clingability' of this device.

What I really liked about this holder is that it is compact and takes up less space than a lot of others I have had.
The bracket arm has great rotation and you can turn it to most directions to get the optimum position. So that is portrait or landscape or any combination of the two.
The good news is that it stays in position even after the journeys I tested it in (see above).
Another good point, and this seems strange to report, it actually does look quite good.
Not a major factor to buy but certainly if you are car proud (and I am most certainly not!) this is the mount for you.

Another of its really good points is the actual grip of the phone.
Too often other mounts cover up the charging ports.
Now ask yourself.
how many times do I either forget to charge up my phone or I use it so much that I need to recharge?
Exactly we all charge the things up in the car. So this mount enables you to position the charge connection point so it is free. The position depends upon the length of your charging cable. (story of my life really).

For those that like figures.
It holds devices up to 5.3 inches screen size and up to a weight of 3.5kg - yes I know I have mixed up my metric and imperial systems but heck 3.5kg that's 3 and a half bags of sugar. Who device weighs that much I wonder.
Any normal to average - well XXXL in this case will be catered for.

It boasts the world's strongest cup action and that's not just for Cricket Players!!

Good news for those of you that have only one arm- you can fit it one handed.
(Now I do know of at least two people who have one arms and do drive so that's not quite as redundant a statement as you thought- so there- for shame!)

(Disclaimer. I was provided with the device by the makers.
All they asked for was a fair review.)
Holds Tight and Stays Put.