on 16 May 2014
This machine works quite well with ESE coffee pods and NX capsules (which are not the same as Nespresso). Performance with ground coffee is, however, a let down. First, you have to use filter papers or risk clogged and un-cleanable filter cups. Secondly, no matter how rough or finely ground your coffee and however light or heavy you tamp the coffee into the filter cup, odds on you'll get a very poor flow rate, a burnt taste, a poor crema and a need for hot milk (which this machine does do well) to warm the cup back up to the right temperature. I am not the only one to experience this. A quick web search should turn up at least one professional review identifying a similar problem with a later model of Dualit machine.

While I'd be the first to say that the build seems ostensibly more robust than any other machine I've seen for similar money, that counts for little when it can't make a decent cup of coffee. A shame, because Dualit has very good staff on its customer support lines.

UPDATE
After 2 months of fighting this machine for a good cup of ground coffee, it has now come good. All I've done differently is left the machine to warm up 3 times longer than the instructions in the manual indicated I should. It has made a real difference and I get a good or very good cup every time.
44 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2013
I have had a Dualit toaster for at least 15 years. Very well made, used daily and only twice since new had to change an element...fantastic!
So, I thought I would buy a Dualit coffee maker expecting the same quality.
It is well made and does make extremely tasty coffee ( I grind Illy Beans) but there are some issues with it.
They don't mention when you buy it that it's highly recommended to always use a paper filter in the ground coffee cup.
Only when you read the instructions in the box do they mention the filters.
If you don't use them then overtime fine particles of coffee will clog up the holders and you will need to replace them.
These cups are a double floor stainless filter that can't be cleaned successfully!
Yes I started using the filters but they only supplied 20 with the machine.! Why for heavens sake not supply a pack of 250 which Dualit make themselves? By the time my box of filters arrived I had been using the machine for a week or so without ....Bad mistake! Now both holders for single and twin cup have stopped working and I will have to source replacements.
Be aware you will need to use these filters or have problems!
The second issue I have with it is the so called drip tray.It's not just a drip tray it takes the build up of water from the pressure pump relief valve so fills really quickly.
When you remove it from the base, remaining water flows onto the bottom of the unit requiring a lot of mopping up..Arrrgggghhhh!
The review ends well....
Fortunately, Dualit have a very good customer service team and they have replaced my coffee holders free of charge:-)
on 3 November 2013
My old Gaggia Cubika finally gave up after nearly eight years of excellent service, and I struggled with what I would buy as a replacement. The Dualit machines have good write-ups, and I took the decision to replace with the Dualit 84440. The 3-1 functionality is great, and the machine produces an excellent expresso. Am hoping that it will serve me as long as the trusty Gaggia - and on first impressions - it looks well made and robust.
on 12 March 2016
This is a great coffee machine at a brilliant price point. I had looked at several machines before opting for this one and it was a good decision to make.

You can make espressos, lattes, americanos and a variety of teas with a variety of pod styles or ground coffee.

The machine is versatile and suitable for everyday use, unlike previous machines I have had!

I would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for a quick coffee maker with a barista feel!
on 17 March 2016
Excellent coffee (not used pods yet just real coffee). Once you get used to the machine and find your preferred type/strength of coffee this is excellent. Would recommend in fact parent are now buying one and ditching their coffee machine and I'm going to get another for our holiday home. Froths milk very well although we did buy a thermometer to get right temp. You can make drink after drink with this after the first 40 seconds warm up.
on 9 May 2015
Very good, very stylish, easy to use and British what more could you ask for , also makes excellent coffee.
on 20 April 2016
Everything is great except the milk frother which rearlly screws up the smooth milk heating process, so I have removed the piece of rubber and uses the nozzle directly which seems to work perfectly. The Coffee doesn't get pressed through properly, which means when you remove the handle to replace, there's always water left over, so emptying it into a disposable coffee ground bin is messy as it collects water.
on 16 January 2014
I have had similar machines years ago but bought this one for the 3 in 1 features.
It makes great espressos and is quick to heat up and easy to clean.
"Real" coffee is a bit of a faf, but the results are more than worth it.
I have tried the machine with ESE pods, for quickness, and they make a great cup with less hassle.
Milk frother works a treat.
I can get a small mug under the dispenser for a larger coffee.
I have heard of filter clogging issues, so use filter papers with ground coffee and so far have had no problems.
At the end of the day I strip it down and clean it, only takes a few minutes.
Overall I am 100% happy.
When I make an "instant" at work, the Monday after a weekend of "real" coffee, it tastes horrible.
55 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2016
Not as good as I thought ,it wastes a lot of water it fills the tray up, every time you make a drink also the tray moves with the vibration you have to keep an eye on it and push it back in otherwise you get water running out. I don't know if that's the norm or a fault, l will have to live with it. If the seller reads this he could have the answer. Chris
on 20 April 2016
Contrary to some negative reviews on this here,I am going to shoot-from-the-hip on this one to protect the reputation of this machine.
This machine is the best I have ever had. It is suitable for fresh ground coffee for one cup or two and two types of pod and even brews tea.

You don't have to use the filter papers, just clean the basket and filter when it has gone cold and keep it clean. I have owned Espresso machines since 1968 when I got a Brevetti of Milan Mochapot stove top machine. I've had La Pavoni; Breville; Krups; Gaggia and bean-cup-machines. All the computerized touch-response machines broke down out of warranty and I can say that some rusted away from poor quality steel in drip-trays and even in the base electrics underneath corroded.
This Dualit has a rust-proof drip-tray made of strong plastic and a stainless steel platform. The coffee it makes is superb whether doing own blend and grinding the beans or the two types of pod give a really good strength and colour with full 'crema' on the top. The coffee taste texture and flavour beats coffee shop's output hands-down. Smooth with a toffee-like roundness. The frother works well and very quickly gets the milk frothed up and heated to 60º optimum.
I warm the cups up first either with hot tap water or from the steam spout dispensing near boiling water. There is so little to go wrong. Simple manual knob to deliver the water through the head. What's to not like? The components are beautifully designed to take pods and there's a separate basket and handle for single-cup ground coffee or two-cups with small and large filter for each. Finally there's no boiler to go wrong as it works like a combi-boiler or the old style multi-point water-heaters - heating the water on demand for dispensing it. I am going to confidently recommend this machine to anyone who wants good tasting coffee without complications as it really is pretty well foolproof. Although it's made in China it is overseen by the British team that designed it and they control the production and product quality. It's good, very good and I feel it will go on working well if I look after it and keep it clean. To get proper espresso; cappuccino; latte; flat whites; black coffee or brewing tea or making hot chocolate, you can't beat this for quality at this price.