5.0 out of 5 stars a guide to dress sense from the Master
From the Introduction:

"...it is possible for a woman to be elegant without spending very much money on her clothes, if she follows the basic rules of Fashion and is careful to choose the clothes that suit her personality.

Simplicity, good taste and grooming are the three fundamentals of good dressing and these do not cost money.

First you...
Published on 8 Jan 2009 by Lulu

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Present for your Fashionista Friends
I bought this for a number of friends for Christmas. Add this to a Dior Lip gloss and you have an ideal pressie for your fashion princess friends who have everything. Friends loved it and I wish I had bought one for me too. Ideal book for your coffee table or next to the bath.
Published on 4 Feb 2009 by C. Algie

5.0 out of 5 stars a guide to dress sense from the Master, 8 Jan 2009
Lulu (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
From the Introduction:

First you must study yourself. Learn to know what suits you and what does not. And study your own needs..."

So Christian Dior begins this little book, which is suitably chic in a grey fabric binding with lettering in pink and silver and a white satin ribbon to mark your place. The illustrations are classic black-and-white photographs and line drawings from Dior's decade, showing a selection of his loveliest ensembles, complete with hats and perfect makeup. This is not a comprehensive manual of style, but a sparkling collection of observations on everything from Accent ("that little personal touch which makes a dress designed by a couturier your own...) to Zest ("There is no beauty that is attractive without zest"), with plenty in between.

He loves, among other things, black ("the most popular and the most convenient and the most elegant of colours...I could write a book about black...), bows, checks, grey, knitwear, perfume, pink, quality, red, silk, velvet, white, wool and exclusivity (...your way to be exclusive is to be yourself").

He dislikes include (surprisingly) darts, dyed hair, too-high heels ("vulgar and hideous"), nonsense ("trick fashions - designed only for publicity's sake"), and extravagance.

This is a lovely introduction to Dior, whether you are a student of fashion or just want to know a little more about one of the most glamorous designers of the twentieth century. But beware: it might make you want to change the way you dress!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute., 6 Dec 2013
Also small and somehow lacking something, I don't know what I expected. I don't know what I wanted it to be.
When I was a child etiquette and clothing ruled my life. I would soon find out that this was in fact a symptom of my OCD, being perfectly turned out at all times should not be the biggest concern of an under eight. As such, I surrounded myself with old manuals, beautiful fifties women with thin waists and rosy cheeks told me what to do when arriving late at the theater, who to address first when amongst strangers of both genders and of varying ages, how to lay a table when hosting a dinner party with your superiors. I absorbed every minute detail and forced my life in to a precise schedule in the hopes that if I was perfect, nothing bad could happen.

I don't know how this applies, but it reminds me of those books. It really does. Only it lacks. It lacks something I can't even put in to words. I guess it's fine for what it is, but I'm sure there are other books on this matter that would feel more, "whole".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a fashion design student..., 28 May 2014
I read all the reviews I could find before buying this book and although like it, it is not a book that I would buy twice. The book is written by Dior himself, which tells you in which period this dictionary was written, but that is not what bothers me (actually, it was nice to check his view of a groomed woman). I simply do not see this as a book that has that special something - therefore, if you need a cute book for somebody who absolutely loves Dior's creations, as a gift for a fashionista or a student of fashion design, go ahead. If you love fashion but are looking for a statement book, try looking around some more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A primary source for fashion history study, 20 Sep 2011
This book was originally published in 1954, so it covers the period which is now termed Dior's New Look period as well as a few years later on.

This little book is a primary fashion source, in that it was written by a top designer about his own contemporary issues. This is not a fashion overview or retrospective, or a fashion etiquette book. This book reflects what was considered fashionable at the time -- at least by Dior himself -- with the subtitle: A Guide to Dress Sense for Every Woman.

Dior comes across as a man who had very fixed ideas about how women should dress, consequently, some of his advice seems dictatorial at times, especially modern times; however, there is a lot of common sense to many of his 'rules' as well. He certainly promotes the idea that 'less is more' and restricts what he considers ideal dressing to only two colours at a time, simple lines, good tailoring, restrained use of jewelry, etc. I suppose even today, this kind of advice is worth taking.

His introduction includes the following philosophy: "Simplicity, good taste and grooming are the three fundamentals of good dressing, and these do not cost money. Study your own needs. Find the colours that flatter you and emphasise your looks. Avoid colours that do nothing for you. Choose clothes that are simple in line, and pay great attention to their fit. And above all -- care for your clothes. You cannot be well groomed if your clothes are not well cared for."

The book is organised by subject, in alphabetical order. "Chiffon, Coats, Cocktail Frocks, Collars, Colours, Corduroy, Cosmetics"...etc. Each section is concise, and some of the sections are illustrated in black and white.

The only reason I've given this book 4 stars instead of 5 is that, throughout, I could really have used many more illustrations. Furthermore, many of the outfits illustrated are only shown half or 3/4 length, meaning you can't see the complete outfit. This means you can't see what kind of shoes the models are wearing, or even the length of their skirts. These illustrations are the originals, so it's not the fault of the reprint -- but it's certainly annoying not to be given the total picture!

This book is fun if read as history, and also offers a few pointers which can certainly be taken on board today. I recommend it to anybody who wants a genuine window on what was considered the height of fashion 60+ years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 7 May 2014
I bought this for my fourteen year old daughter. She loves it and would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 10 Feb 2014
As I am currently studying fashion, it is a great resource to use when looking at the evolution of fashion :) great and cute little book

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage feel and great gift, 20 Sep 2013
Great little book, girlfriend loved it as a gift. Would recommend. Looks neat and a tad vintage from Christian Dior

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 17 Aug 2013
This will serve as my fashion dictionary, my book shelf definitely needed this. Great size, hardback and great imagery and content

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 11 Jan 2013
As expected, my daughter loved it. An old book which is still sought after. My daughter is 12 going on 21 and is really into fashion so this was a great book from one of her favourite designers.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun dior book, 1 Jan 2012
This is a well written little Dior guide - feels 1950 ish in the way it is written - so feels authentic. a fun little book for the fans of Dior Couture.