5.0 out of 5 stars This is What Winners Do Everyday., 17 Feb 2010
Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In most lines of business you can spot the losers complaining they just lost the deal, the job, the transfer or the promotion because it went to someone the boss knew, or someone the customer already had a relationship with. It was a stitch-up. It was so unfair. Why didn't they buy the best, or employ me because I was the best? Welcome to the real World. If you want to get on and be a success you need to know how to get on with poeple, what's on their mind, and how you can help them. To do that you'll need to start listening very well. This book tells you how.

Business and life is all about relationships. No relationship - no business. That doesn't mean that the business always goes to the insider - but when all things are equal, the business goes to the person the buyer has the best relationship with. And frankly you won't even get a hearing if you have no relationship.

This book will help. It's very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective communication starts with listening, 5 April 2010
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Being the life of the party won't help you make a sale. In fact, letting other people take the spotlight will actually garner more admiration and eventual "buy-in," explains psychiatrist Mark Goulston. This advice follows his axiom, "be more interested than interesting," which is one of his nine principles for connecting with others. Goulston, who has trained police officers and U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation hostage negotiators, devotes a chapter each to 12 powerful techniques you can use to be more persuasive. His systems and strategies will help you cross the natural barriers people erect to protect themselves, so you can communicate your ideas and goals. He fleshes out each lesson with real-life examples and engaging stories. getAbstract thinks you'll find this book quite helpful in refining ways to "get through" to others. If Goulston can negotiate with a desperate gunman, he surely can help you sway a customer - or even your teenager.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 30 Nov 2013
Exceeded expectations, as the book provided a huge amount of valuable and most importantly practical tips to improve listening and communications skills to achieve anything and deal with anyone you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 May 2013
I have read some books about active listening and they all have presented this skill through different listening theories, making it look more like a medical or analytic approach. This book is different. Not only it makes you understand how to listen to the others, but it teaches you something much more important: how to value the other persons in your life (boss, lover, friends, etc) It explains all the process through an empathetic approach by making you understand why it is so important to listen. Congratulations Mark, great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 21 Feb 2013
Still working my way through this. Challenging, but great rescourse to dip in and out of. accessible and clear ways to focus on listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than expected a very interesting read, 19 Jan 2013
after i had ordered this i thought that maybe it had been a mistake to think that i would learn more about handling my super -critical, patronising 'my way of the highway' boss with this book (esp as i am a trained psychologist!). i was wrong. there are several strategies outlined that i hadn't thought of - and that sound pretty good- esp in relation to managing my own emotions when she flies off the handle (sometimes telling yourself to keep calm isn't quite enough even if you know shes going to apologise later!). i like the illustrative real life stories as well. i am getting to feel a lot more positive about dealing with and building a more positive rapport with the only boss i've ever failed to get on with - its reawakened my interest in trying to fix this if possible -and rather than move on now i've decided to have another go at reaching her using some of these ideas . watch this space and i'll update this review in 6 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars a game changer, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me by members of a focus group. I was wary; I do not generally like "self-help" books. However, this book manages to avoid most of the "psycho-babble" I loathe and instead is packed full of practical advice backed up by real life examples and experiences. I had my doubts about this genre of book; but they have now disappeared. This book is a Game Changer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical strategies, highly effective, 5 Dec 2012
Dr. Mark's ideas are straightforward and practical, yet highly effective in their application. The book contains a range of strategies for identifying common personality types and emotional situations and pairs them with simple cues and methods for moving away from deadlock and towards resolution. Much of what the book suggests is counterintuitive, but highly effective. Definitely worth a read for anyone with a demanding work or family life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have More Meetings of the Minds and Emotions while Avoiding Certain People, 13 Oct 2009
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion." -- Romans 12:16

I was attracted to this book because I knew that Dr. Goulston would have something new to offer about listening. Most books on the subject simply rehash the same points. Just Listen fills the empty advice space between books on negotiating such as Getting to Yes and the NLP books that focus on the power of words and physical mirroring. Although most readers won't want to know very much about the latest in brain science, Dr. Goulston provides that a tad that provides more perspective about helping people regain control over their emotions.

For me, the book's strength was in its many examples of using the principles that are described. I was so impressed that I immediately rethought a family situation and hit on a solution that has already proven to be unexpectedly productive.

Dr. Goulston provides nine core rules that get you from being out of control to in charge of difficult situations, even ones you want to exit. From there, he provides 12 methods for gaining someone else's attention and agreement. I was struck that I had used most of the methods at one time or another, but I didn't have them categorized into when they would be most useful. I could also see ways to combine the methods that I had never considered before.

I was also amused to read some examples that involved people I know, which made Dr. Goulston's activities even more interesting as I compared what I did to what he did. Very helpful!

If you simply read a list of what he proposes, it wouldn't impress you. You need to read the book and put yourself into the stories he describes. Then, you'll get it.

I found it absolutely fascinating to see how the methods apply to even hostage negotiations. I hope I don't have to use them that way!

Be more helpful . . . it's a great way to relate to others as a servant leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Enhancing, Engaging, Enriching ....NOT to be missed, 7 Dec 2009
C. Tapson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I picked up a cross-reference to Mark Goulston's book and as Listening is a shortcoming of mine, bought a copy. It wasn't quite what I expected but it has certainly proved to be a book that I should have read at least 20 years ago, (and once a year since).

Not everyone is an intuitive communicator/connector, despite the fact that we seem to be communicating (but not connecting) all day long. And this book is a complete eye-opener on how we connect, or don't, and how we can connect even in the most awkward of circumstances.

It can also be a bit of a personal revelation when you find out where you have been going wrong, and why. So read with care, and then re-read - regularly until you have embraced how to listen, relate and break down the barriers we all create.

I cannot rate this book too highly for its insights and examples. You will see yourself, spouse, friends (and maybe "enemies") as well as your boss and your employees outlined in this book, and how to relate to them so that they relate better to you (my words not Mark's). If that isn't a good enough reason to buy it, what is?

So grab a copy before it goes out of print.