on 17 November 2013
I enjoyed reading this book describing how Lisa's relationship with her mother actually strengthened on this journey of living with dementia. As with most accounts on dementia, there are funny moments. Given the ability of her mother to communicate on the phone, it sounds like the period covered spans over the early to middle stages of dementia. The book is easy to read and gives a good idea of what it can be like to organize care from a distance (New York to Florida). Some of the frustrations of not being able to see her mother every day comes across in her writing. Despite the difficulties encountered, especially due to the travel distances involved, a very positive attitude pervades the book. It is not a detailed review of dementia or caring for someone with the illness hands on, but it does provide the reader with some interesting insights, particularly at an emotional level. Worth a read.
on 28 October 2013
My Mum had vascular dementia, (passed away 2012) and my Mother-in-Law had Altzheimers (passed away Sat 26th October 2013). but being able to read this book helped me to understand more about their perceptions of everyday life. I work in a nursing home that has dementia patients living there needing 24 hour care. I love what I do. It can be challenging at times but I look at each individual and see the person not the dementia.

I can related to what Lisa went through as I became my Mum's full time carer back in 2011, it was a privilege and an honour to be able to do this. I have no regrets and I'm happy in the knowledge that I gave my mum 100% of my time (she deserved it) it was the least I could do.

on 1 October 2014
An excellent account of the author's changing relationship with her mother as she becomes increasingly frail and her memory increasingly fails. That constant search for what remains of the mother she knew, is heart rending and familiar. My mother does not have dementia but is becoming increasingly frail and has frequent infections which make her confused. This was written originally as a blog, and includes email letters from other people in similar situations with their own mothers, and this highlights how alone we can feel when our parents are growing old and frail and gradually slipping away from us. I am glad that I found this.
on 19 June 2014
Everyone who has someone they look after with Alzheimer's should read this book.
The description of how Lisa copes with her mother is wonderful!
It shows the problems when you can't live near . Well done Lisa.
on 10 December 2013
A must read book. Having cared for my mother with Alzheimers I found this book uplifting, sad, funny and could really relate to Lisa and the journey she is experiencing.
on 7 June 2013
Wonderful and helpful insight into what this disease does to family and the sufferers, each person is different, my dad has both it is very sad to watch him deteriorate
on 14 October 2014
my husband has Alzheimers so reading my Mom my hero really help me understand more.
on 14 January 2015