5.0 out of 5 stars The wonder of Wecks pressure sterilized preserving jars & bottles, 12 Oct 2014
Mr. David Gould "Dave in the cave" (Wet Windy West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SET OF SIX 850ml Large Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 743. (Kitchen & Home)
I simply love them and the fantastic value that they are. 18 months ago I started learning how to pressure can all manner of foods from soups to big chunks of meat . I've taken this path because I've suddenly become intolerant to all manner of chemicals in food after having a very close missed trip to the crematorium with a severe anaphylactic fit .
Canning/bottling my own food means I get to know exactly what is put in it and as I grow all my own food fairly organically I miss out on the stuff that can trip me over into yet another fit .

Initially I chose Kilner jars as I was brought up with Mum & dad putting up food in them ...they were reliable . However jump forward 55 years or more and they are not now made in the UK but in, " The land of the Great Wall" .
I soon discovered that there was a big problem with the sealing lip of the jar being like a camel's humps . There was no way that the jars would ever seal if I could get three standard thickness business cards slid under the closed lid. In the end out of 24 jars I had 16 jars like that. Their lack of customer care meant I have only just had the problem resolved in a very unsatisfactory manner....that's almost exactly 12 months since I notified them of it, it's now 12 October 2014

So early into November last year ( 2013 ) I took the amazon route to buy a few Weck preserving jars as they had the cheaped I could find anywhere in the shops or the whole of the UK for that matter of fact .. ,
I did a 10 jar trial with them ,pressure canning five 750 ml jars of chicken stock and five 750 ml jars of chunks of beef in veg stock and found them a far superior product in many ways .
the most obvious was that i have a cheap sealing ring to replace every time i open a jar , empty it and want to refill it with a new batch .

The other brands superior to the model of jar had problems with has a throwaway tin plate lid with integrated seal and it needs to be renewed every time you reuse the jar ...these are expensive
These throw away lids also need a separate steel screw down lid securing band to hold down the lid whilst you sterilize the contents . Fifty of these rings take up a fair bit of space & they need replacing after every ten useages ... more expensie and like as not the thread form will have changed yet again. so you will have to also end up buying a fukll set of new jars.

The thicker precision made Weck glass jars however have been almost identical for the last 60 years . I think that the only change has been a much better pair stainless steel over centre spring clips for each jar that holds the glass lid down on to a sealing band whilst you pressure cook and sterilize the jars contents .

None of my Weck trial jars failed , so I ended up buying a one off lot of a lifetimes supply of about £380 worth of various sized Weck jars ( about 128 jars in total ).
They can come complete with glass lid and a sealing band , if I recall correctly I declined that way because I could save about £20 by purchasing the lids and jars as one big batch from one place , then buying the sealing bands and lid clips separately elsewhere in Amazon as bulk buys .

I think purchased 150 lid clips as they will never have a shelf life whilst I'm alive , perversely they all fit inside of one of the faulty Kilner jars .
Each Weck jar needs / has two of those stainless steel over centre spring clips to hold down the lid . They are placed 180 degrees apart and at 90 degrees from a small tab on the rubber sealing gasket. When the jars is sealed and cold you remove rhe clips and gently try and lift the lid off the jar . A successful sealing exercise means the lid is stuck fast by the internal sealing vacuum force. The tab is to pull so as to break the internal vacuum when you want to open the jar and it also serves to indicate that the jars is correctly sealed . When a jar is correctly sealed and cold the tab tends to point slightly downwards .

The replacement seals are easily obtained off the likes of Amazon but do watch out for the excessive postal charges some of the people who supply them charge. Also with respect to the Weck lid rubber gasket seals .... don't go and buys 10 years worth of seals in one go as these do have a shelf life of about two to three years.

Though if vacuum packed & heat sealed in " Preppers" Mylar bags in a protective nitrogen gas atmosphere they may well exceed that time .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous storage, 4 Sep 2013
Using for fridge, store cupboard and freezer. How better to avoid plastic. Only thing that could improve these is if they were available made from recycled glass. Can be written on with chalk pens too which can be removed when needed and relabelled.