4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and sour plum 'wine' but more than that!, 26 Dec 2013
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Choya Original Ume Plum Fortified Wine 75 cl (Case of 2) (Grocery)
"Made from Steeping ripe green Ume fruit in Shochu" - ume are plums from the prunus mume tree, and shochu ('burnt liquor') is an old-fashioned japanese drink made from fermented barley or rice with a distinctive sweet/sour taste. Alcohol content is 10%. Apparently this drink is very popular in Japan.
I bought it because friends coming back from HK had bought me a bottle of Choya extra aged, which I loved. When it was finished i checked UK availability, but it is *very* expensive, so I thought I would try this version: same brand, but without the aging (or the plums in the bottle). I think this is very nice too, but not as wonderful (and i use the term on purpose!) as the aged Choya. More affordable, though, and very drinkabel. I enjoy it after a nice meal as an 'digestif' for which it is purrfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
If you like Japanese Plum Wine, you'll like this. For the price you pay - it's worth it.