5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly good phone that demands your attention (at this price)
**NOTE** The phone uses a "Micro Sim" so if you have a standard sim you can get it cut down or exchanged for a newer one

I bought one of these for my girlfriend as a present, but spent a few days using the phone because I actually like it quite a lot.
Windows 8 works far better for touch devices like this than desktop/laptops, so don't let that put you off...
Published 18 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but horrible battery cradle.
Hey guys,

First and foremost? This phone is -perfect- for an entry level smartphone. People that are on a budget or those that just want a simple platform with WiFi that'll integrate with your home should look here first. The Lumia 520 is one of the absolute best phones I've owned, coming from someone that loves minimalism. The Windows Phone 8 experience is...
Published 16 months ago by Oliver Gardner

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Low cost but too many glitches, 13 May 2014
The phone has many positives including low price. However, before buying one, do a search for the following well known issues which I unfortunately gave encountered:
Duplication of all music tracks, making playing an album impossible. You can't delete the duplicates as deleting nor duplicate also deletes the original track. Grrr.
Duplication of photos, so scrolling through & viewing photos on the phone is impossible.
You have to unlock the screen before pressing "answer" to an incoming call. An unnecessary step but compounded by the fact that the screen often becomes unresponsive when a call is incoming.
These are all known issues widely discussed on various web forums so do your own research before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, 23 July 2013
P. Chapman (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Pound for pound, this has to be one of the best smartphones going. The windows o/s is never a problem and most people are already familiar with it. The live tiles are clear and easy to use, and nothing ever seems to freeze or hang. I know the windows app store is supposedly behind the others, but I'm sure there's more than enough to keep you amused, (I got all the ones I want,anyway).
The camera is fairly good with some nice features, although I don't use that too much. I prefer a camera for that. Predictive
text is good. It throws up a list of words that you can scroll across and just tap. Even I use it now. The battery life is good, but I would be a light user, and now expect to charge it about twice a week. My introduction to smartphones was an iphone, and I was never impressed, so for me, this beats it in every aspect. It will pick up a WiFi signal easily and the crowning glory that puts it way ahead of apple, is that it picks up a phone signal as well. You can talk to people!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 13 July 2013
I bought this to test Windows 8 and Nokia before choosing a new phone on contract. The Nokia phone us unbelievably good for the price point, surprisingly quick, with a good camera--the Nokia camera apps are great, panorama, removing items and ensuring that everyone in the picture is smiling is all very easy. Nokia satnav app is the best I've ever used and it's free on the phone with no network data required.

Windows 8 works and is very easy to use. I've used both iOS and Android, and now like Windows better. It is not perfect and still needs a few tweaks to be functionally better than Android, but it has passed iOS (apple fanboys please note that this is written on my Mac before attacking!)

After this test I will get a higher end Windows 8 phone on contract and it will be a Nokia....Although I'm in no hurry because I like the 520.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is simply nothing better for the price, 12 Jan. 2014
As the titles says, there is absolutely nothing, and I say NOTHING, that beats the price/quality ratio of this phone.
The screen is absolutely brilliant, the phone is fast and responsive.

I was scared of the OS at the beginning but I quickly adopted it. After a lot of customization I just love it and I feel like it's really my phone.
The camera is amazing, only problem is the lack of flash to be able to take pics at night or in dark places.

Free integrated maps and GPS. I use it inside a waterproof mount on my motorcycle to travel!! This thing will never stop impressing me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 May 2013
I bought two, one for the wife and one for myself. Our first smart phones so we had no idea if we would get on with them. Does everything we need and was very easy to pick up how to use them. No rear facing camera and no flash but not a disadvantage to us. The price was very favourable compared to other brands. Access to the internet is a real bonus to us. Switched the high sensitivity touch off as unlikely to us it wearing gloves and in normal use this option is too sensitive for us. Love the way it suggests words when texting as I am not too nimble with my fingers and that led to lots of mistakes on my old phone. As I said we are new to this type of technology and are very pleased with our purchases

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone. Bought for my son, 26 Nov. 2013
Great phone. Bought for my son, it is so much better than I expected especially for the price. Great build quality and screen resolution.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Good Without a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 PC!!, 19 Jun. 2014
Ms. KA Stones "Kate" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I am a 45 year old woman, who is computer literate. I don't shy away from gadgets. I have had an Android hTc Explorer phone for the last 2 years, which was a good little budget smartphone but I had a big problem with internal storage. I have been using a Nokia Lumia 520 Smartphone for 3 days. I chose this phone because it is in the budget range, looks good & has 8GB of internal storage.

This smartphone is not for beginners or anyone who is not computer literate. It has taken me many hours to set up. Dinner has been late for all the family since I got this phone up & running.

Here is a list of problems I have encountered & things I do not like about the Nokia Lumia 520 Smartphone:

1. Do not buy this phone unless you have a PC or tablet with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 or you will not be able to sync this phone with your computer!

2. My PC has Windows XP & Linux Netrunner 13.12 & I am unable to download OneDrive to either operating system. OneDrive is cloud storage, where you can save photos, music, documents, and videos etc & get it later from a computer, phone, TV, or other device with an Internet connection (& as long as you have a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1).

3. All my 300+ Facebook friends pop up on my "People" list, but I cannot find my everyday phone contacts that I need to phone or sms despite me exporting them to my SIM before switching phones.

4. I took a few photographs around my garden yesterday & it took me over an hour to find them on my phone so I could view them. However, I had no problem finding ALL the photographs I & all my friends had posted on Facebook! I may need to "share" each photo I take to Facebook, so I can find them again!

5. There are fewer applications available in the Microsoft store compared to the Google Store. I was unable to find a few of my favourite apps.

6. On the hTc Explorer I was able to choose where I stored my apps, ie. on the phone or SD card. I have not yet found an option on the Nokia Lumia 520 for storing apps on the SD card.

7. My Nokia Lumia 520 Smartphone did not come pre-installed with a countdown timer.

8. The clock in the upper right hand corner of the screen is in teeny font & not easy to see for those who may have visual impairments. There are clocks available in the app store, but most lean towards trendy & arty rather than easy-to-see & functional. None of the clock apps I looked at included an alarm clock or countdown timer.

9. The USB cable for connecting to the PC is only 22cm long.

There are many things that I do like about this phone:

1. It has 8GB of internal storage.

2. I like it that the Nokia Lumia 520 does not have all the social media apps pre-installed. This gives the purchaser the option of what apps they would like to install. I have been able to download Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest & Kindle from the Microsoft app store for free.

3. The phone weighs 122g & fits easily into a small handbag or my jeans pocket.

4. I like that I can arrange the tiles according to my personal taste & the choice of tile colours are great. No two phones will look the same!

5. The price is excellent considering that this smartphone has Windows 8 as its operating system. A lot of work & thought has gone into the design of this phone.

6. The smartphone can connect to Xbox & there are a good selection of games available for download. My 12 year old son is thrilled with this option!

7. This smartphone comes with "Kid's Corner", described as "a place on your phone where you can share apps, videos, games & music with your child. They will have an Start screen of their own and easy access to the items you add there."

8. OneNote is a handy pre-installed app. There is an option for adding tick boxes, which is useful for making shopping lists or to-do-lists.

9. I am able to access my Gmail, Google calender & Yahoo email accounts to this phone easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for its price!, 2 Sept. 2013
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you aren't too heavily invested in Android or iOS and are looking for a new smartphone on a budget then I would HIGHLY recommend the Nokia Lumia 520.

I tried the HTC Desire C which is £5 cheaper on amazon and seriously it is like the worst phone ever. It was soooooooooo slow I had to give it back. I thought about getting a Samsung Ace 2 because it has a faster processor but instead got the Nokia LUmia 520 and glad that i did.

For the price you will be hard pressed to get a better phone. It is fast, reasonably intuitive and very slick. The main interface is pretty easy to adjust and with some fiddling and playing you will quickly pick up how the Windows OS works.

The camera is alright at this price. Most of the key apps that I was used to on Android are available here - Whatsapp, Evernote, and obviously FB and so on.

I really like this phone and seriously at this price you wont find a faster, slicker smartphone. highly recommended.

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars The budget windows phone story, 7 Jun. 2013
Getting bored of android and being one iPhone hater I decided to give WP8 a try.
The price was highy attractive and I was not expecting much .
However it was a pleasant surprise.
I got used quickly with the OS since I have Windows8 on my laptop and it is quite similar to that.
OS pros: smooth transition, quick response,best facebook integration imaginable
OS cons: lacks apps but the important ones and big names are there .. skype works (but be aware-no front camera).
You can drag and drop files to phone or just insert micro SD card and it will play all music straight away.
It is not the slimmest phone I have seen but who cares, it is perfectly comfortable in my pocket and in hand as well.The black version sticks better than the white one to your hand having some rubber coating.
Battery life - I charge it every 2 days , I am am medium user , some music on the way to work , some wifi at home, some skype , a couple of calls. I don't have any data plan activated on it.
If you are a heavy user you should consider switching location services off as they might eat a lot of battery.
Do not install battery savers,etc from the marketplace,Nokia Care does the job perfecly.
Screen is really good despite the low screen size and resolution , good , fast response of commands even with screen cover on and gloves on. It is readable in direct sunlight even with dark background windows setting.
Audio quality is getting really close to my iPod with my Beats Solo HD headphones ( you should replace the included headphones with some quality ones) it sounds loud trough the headphone output and loud enough trough the rear speaker.No equalizer!
What I loved the most at it was the Nokia lens apps like Cinemagraph(you can create some nice animated stills) , free worldwide Nokia maps and Nokia Drive (limited to 1 country only) , office preinstalled.
The camera is not that great but it compensates with modes,effects and customisation trough Nokia lens,you can get some nice stills if you have natural lighting.
All in all I believe it is a great smartphone with unbelieveble price tag.
I have ordered a couple till now (5 to be precise) they all perform well for my gilfriend and friends(3white,2black), we are waiting now for the coloured cases to become available and confusion will be over.
If I reccomended it to my friends I would reccomend it to you as well , you will not be sorry about this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, 26 April 2014
It is the fifth cellphone I have used as my own, I have used Nokia N73, Nokia 5800i, an iPhone 4 and now a 5s, and Moto and samsung phones of my family for a short time. I bought this Lumia 520 as my backup phone (and I finally find that it is far better than I expect), so I think I understand what I am talking about.

Lumia 520 is an amazing smartphone. Even though it is cheap and not 4G ready, it has the same battery of Nokia 5800, but it is very good device and the battery is enough if you are not a really heavy user who spend most free time online. It continues the style of Nokia S60 phones with vibration notice when you touch some main keys. It always reminds me of my old Nokia phones. And it is incredible device for me.

It runs Windows Phone 8 very smoothly, and soon it will get WP 8.1. Windows Phone 8 is a good system, looks like Windows 8, and it is technically the same thing with Windows NT core. It gives you very smooth connection between your Win 8 device and Outlook service if you are familiar with them. The function of WP8 is very good, and according to those who have test the new WP8.1, it will get very brilliant update.

The problem that you do not get official version of every popular apps in iTunes store. You will get many useful apps in the app store, they cover most apps you want, and they are very good to use. But, as Google and Apple do not make official apps like Gmail and Google Map for windows (as a strategy of protecting its own benefits), if you are worried about security problem like me, you need to wait for WP to get more market share and attract those program makers.

Back to Lumia 520 it self. It is a cheap but functional phone. It runs smoothly with only 512Mb RAM for daily usage, no interruption at all, with reasonable photo quality under good light. The phone is made in very good plastic like Nokia did in every phone. (You can compare it with Moto G, it is a water proof phone with low price and with similar good quality, both are far more reliable than Samsung)

The Nokia apps are very useful (much better than the age of S60) and the best thing is, you can download maps before travelling, so you can save the roaming fees when you go abroad. It has a very sensitive screen, though it only has 800 x 480 pixel, the display is acceptable and better than most phones with same and even higher price. (But because I use a iPhone 5s, I am not very happy at the display, but for those who do not care about retina or 2K, or who need large character display, Lumia 520 is very good for them. ) The thing is, I do not think it is weaker than iPhone 4 or 4s, if I do not compare their display quality and 520 is much cheaper. And when I try to learn how to use this phone, it only takes me a half hour.

Pros
Windows Phone 8 (safe and runs smoothly like iOS device, safer and take less CUP and RAM than Androids) with every popular apps, upgrade to 8.1 in June which is much better
Support MicroSD card, microSim
With good connection with Outlook, Exchange Server, OneDrive, XBOX etc., free Office 2013 and support other Microsoft service
Synchronous with Windows 8 and Outlook, with find your phone function, lose no data if stolen
Free global offline maps with HERE
500M main camera with very strong Nokia professional photo apps (you can control ISO shutter, aperture, and filter etc. and refocus Nokia's new app)
GPS and other location services
Global languages
Good touch screen, very sensitive (you can use it wearing gloves)
NFC technology, easy to share information

Cons
Windows Phone 8 is not perfect now, you need to wait for 8.1 upgrade in June, which system include more functions, better design and is much better according to the people who use the beta version
Many complains about failure of Date and time auto setting
no flash no front camera (actually only Moto G has them at this budget level, but Nokia's main camera's photo quality is better even without flash)
low level resolution screen (like Nokia 5800)
not water proof (compare with Moto G)
battery cannot support heavy usage (like most smart phone, but the battery is changeable, and as it use the same battery as 5800, you can buy another one for a cheap price, the problem is, once you change the battery, you lose the time and date and you need to set them by yourself)
not support wireless charing (compared with more expensive Lumia phones)
Typeface is small for some description under each title of options (the typeface of options and in apps are big enough), and part of the typeface cannot be changed via settings, so not very good for those wearing glasses, like most smartphones even with huge screen.

I think choosing a smart phone is not to compare the details about CPUs and RAMs, you should touch it and feel it because it will be a helper not just a tool. Years ago, you care more about the hardware it self, and now you just want to pick one and use. And now, it should be the same for phones. What you have to decide is, Windows, iOS or Androids. Smart phone means that with same operating system, you get similar experience. Both Windows and iOS are more reliable than Androids, they have better security protection in app store and in system itself while Androids users mainly rely on themselves to get rid of fake apps. But you do get more chance to change your phone into a more YOURS one with Androids. After decide witch system, you just need to confirm which level of phone you can afford and get the newest one from main companies, and do you want a phone specialise in photograph or other things. That's simple.

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›