1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressively good, 1 Mar 2007
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am a great fan of Osprey "Campaign" series. I have them all and as of today I read 140 of them and this is one of the best.

I already noticed long time ago, that the best "Campaign" books describe smaller engagements - and as at Monongahela the great total of fighting people on BOTH sides was around two thousand, it is again the case.

This is a great story about a great adventure (the wilderness march) and a great tragedy (the battle). Illustrations are good, maps are clear, colour plates are OK and there is three of them (thank you Osprey for not stealing one like in some recent issues).

It is also the story of very, but really very poor beginnings of George Washington's military career - during this campaign he failed in EVERY single thing, except the most vital one: he lived to fight another day... I believe that much of the future successes of this great military and political leader can be understood fully only when keeping in mind how miserably he failed in his first campaign - and how hard he laboured all the rest of his life to redeem himself...

My advice - buy it, read it, keep it.