5.0 out of 5 stars James remains consistent
If you loved James Blake's previous releases then you will enjoy this continuation of his haunting melodies and fractured songs creating an atmosphere of longing and passion. I'd heartily recommend this album.
Published 16 months ago by MartinandKashka

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
I found the CD to be a bit samey, and by the end of it, quite depressing really. Definitely not a cheery purchase
Published 11 months ago by Mrs. Morag Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars James remains consistent, 14 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Overgrown (MP3 Download)
Having been a fan of James Blake since a few years ago, I've listened to all of his albums and EPs. His first and self titled album was incredible; quite the soundtrack to 2011; mysterious, satisfying, relaxed. Second album in my opinion was less accessible, a little disappointing (or perhaps challenging), focusing less on the mysterious, harmonic melodies that I was used to.
Overgrown sees James Blake return to his former glory; perhaps even more accessible and enjoyable than his first album. Every track is unique and the album fits together perfectly. It's slightly more commercial than his previous work, choruses are more recognisable, there's a genius collaboration with rap veteran RZA and plenty of twitching beats to keep the listener occupied.
Quite simply, his best work yet; wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overgrown, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
Unlike his eponymous album James Blake, the young producer creates a perfect, creative album.

It seems as if he has found a way of incorporating bass driven influences to his soulful voice in a way that allows for each song to flow to the next.

Although I actually have less favourites from this album to his first, this album works as a whole much better.

Overgrown, I am Sold, Retrograde, Digital Lion, To The Last..

Just incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 11 April 2013
P. A. Barnes "Carl Jung" (Exeter, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
I can't find the words to describe the musical genius and inventivness of JB.

This Cd like his last one is beyond belief - in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly beautiful, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
Where to begin describing Overgrown? I'm going to struggle, as I've not heard anything like James Blake before. As with his self-titled debut, it's simply unlike anything else. (Unless I've simply not listened to enough music.) Not sure who to compare him to or which genre to put him in. It's experimental, soulful, jarring, distorted, melodic and serves the unexpected - although, that said, this is exactly what I expected album number two to sound like.
Blake has a great vision for his musical landscapes. There's a sense it's all in his head and it's not something you can simply reproduce on sheet music - maybe a storyboard, instead? Maybe.
Opening and title track, Overgrown, is subtly beautiful and one of the least experimental tracks on the album, luring you in with an underplayed soulful voice, gradually building synths and percussion.
I Am Sold sees the experimental production values switched up a notch, but the musicality is just as rich, in particular the way Blake uses and plays with his remarkable voice.
By track three - Life Round Here - the synths do a little more of the quirky stuff and the landscape continues to build.
I'm not going to cover this track by track, but needless to say - in my view - there isn't a duff one here. I'm on my fifth listen and still finding surprises, still trying to hold onto the tunes and not quite managing it - a good thing, I know I'm not going to bore of this easily.
Parting track - Our Love Comes Back - brings the album full circle to something similar to the beginning - soulful voice, subtly building synths and underplayed sound effects.
If you particularly welcome the more experimental works of Radiohead, Elbow and Kate Bush, then this should appeal - I say should, because I really don't know. That's just the nearest I can get to a comparison; that's the nearest I can get to understanding just why I'm so drawn to this artist.
Final word on it all: astonishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am sold, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Overgrown (MP3 Download)
I only heard of James Blake recently on the radio when I fell in love with Retrograde, but still I was in two minds whether to buy the album. As soon as I got to track two, 'I am sold', well, says it all... I've been listening to the album non-stop since and I am definitely not disappointed. Amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album but a little short..., 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
Every track on this album is very strong. Deserved winner of this year's Mercury prize. The only reason I never gave it 5-stars was that it plays for only 40 minutes. Would have been great with a couple of more tracks - providing they were up to the standard of the rest of the album. Just adding a couple of to pad it out would detract from the album's overall quality. Very atmospheric.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 26 May 2014
King Eric (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
I like James Blake i thought his first album was a really original album mixing elements of dance/electronica with Indie. This album is a real progression from that first album-great songs sung with James really distinctive voice. I saw him at the Ritz in Manchester before Christmas and he was excellent live. In my top 5 list from 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
James blake's sounds are fresh and this is such a good album, highly recommend. His style is experimental but he can sound like chilled electronic in some songs and then has a r&b sound in some. So so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving and atmospheric album; cleansing and cathartic., 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
As well as being incredibly stylish and of-the-time, Overgrown is packed full of substance. This collection of downtempo songs will survive long after similar acts have disappeared with the fashion.

There is simplicity, atmosphere and an abundance of emotion within this music and while not being the most upbeat, it certainly connects with emotions we've all experienced at some point, in a cleansing and cathartic way.

Overgrown