4.0 out of 5 stars A very good capable machine, but could have been excellent
Panasonic DMR-HWT130EB Smart 500GB Recorder with Twin Freeview+ Tuners (New for 2013)
Published 12 months ago by Tim

2.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Support is Awful
Device works okay, interface is a bit laggy. Netflix support is good but you cannot record live TV while you watch netflix. Also minor little annoyances with the interface like you cannot punch in a channel number while browsing the channel guide. Picture is good and 1080p looks great.

DLNA on my box didnt work though, and I had to contact support, they had...
Published 12 months ago by Charles N. Roddy

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good capable machine, but could have been excellent, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Panasonic DMR-HWT130EB Smart 500GB Recorder with Twin Freeview+ Tuners (Electronics)
This is our first HDD recorder and as we already have a Panasonic TX -L32B6B TV and have been really pleased with it, this recorder seemed the obvious choice to compliment it. The functions seem logical enough and after a couple of hours it is easy to work your way around the good sized remote.
The Viera link works just fine although one missed opportunity would have been to provide a mute button on the recorder remote. The EPG is nearly the same as the TV guide but with one glaring exception; there is not a facility to search for movies, education, lifestyle etc or to search by using text to identify a particular program. The TV EPG provides this really good facility. That the recorder does not is really a great shame, hence only 4 stars. It is possible I read that using Viera Connect via the internet (see below) that an enhanced EPG with a search facility can be downloaded but it is provided by service providers and this can be discontinued without notice, so the manual tells me.
This unit can be connected to a pc by a LAN cable or wireless, but the wireless LAN adaptor is an optional extra for this model, but it is built into the DMR HWT230 model.
All in all a good machine with the ability to record two programmes at once and then also watch a different TV channel at the same time, or watch a DVD or a previously recorded programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy recording, 11 Oct 2013
My wife loves films but they are shown very late and my wife goes to bed at about 10.30pm. This machine solves the problem but does it in an easy way. My wife wants something that is easy to set up and this machine fits the bill. So far we are both happy that this is a machine that is easy to use for simple needs. I did look at buying a Youview machine but the reviews were mixed in its execution although the concept looks good. The machine is compact in size and the quality of the recordings look good so we are happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 11 Nov 2013
I've had this panasonic pvr for just over 2 months. It replaced my Humax 9200t that had become very unreliable over the years.
GOOD POINTS.
1. Very reliable so far, not a single problem.
2. Very good picture.
3. Easy set up.
4. Silent. The fan on my Humax was quite noisy, but the Panasonic doesn't use a fan.
BAD POINTS.
1. Quite a lag when you press most of the buttons, makes you think you haven't pressed the button fully.
2. Bringing up the channel list is a waste of time. It doesn't show you what is currently being broadcast on the channels.
3. If, in the morning, you are setting the programmes you want to record in the evening you have to laboriously go through the EPG with the forward button. My Humax box had a button that allowed two hour leaps through the EPG, a far more user friendly option.
4. The remote can operate your tv by inputting a code. This allows you to change channel, the av input and the volume. What it misses out on is a mute button.

Despite my misgivings about certain things I could still recommend this pvr as a good purchase for anyone.
UPDATE
I've now had this pvr almost 6 months & I haven't had a single problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Support is Awful, 28 Jun 2013

DLNA on my box didnt work though, and I had to contact support, they had me reset it to factory defaults, reset my router to factory defaults, take all the security and firewall settings off my windows 7 PC and still DLNA wont work! My iPad can see my DLNA server fine, and I can run a ping command to this panasonic box from my windows 7 PC.

After all this Panasonic Support tells me I have to buy a 3rd party piece of software (I wont name it cause I googled reviews on them and its worthless) to make it work! The manual says nothing about needing a 3rd party piece of software to make DLNA work, frankly this really pissed me off, hence the 2 star reviews.

Im sure with a patch or two the box could be really good. But for now Panasonic Support has ruined it for me.

Edit: I saw Amazon is advertising it as having a web browser and Wifi, it has neither. Buyer beware.

3.0 out of 5 stars My own fault, 29 Jan 2014
Mr. S. Burgess "Steve" (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
Bit of an impulse purchase and for some strange reason was hooked with the internet/smart tv connectivity and potential to stream from recorded files.
In truth it does the basics fine, no problems with recording and it has HD receiver which helpfully lets you know if there is an HD option before confirming record. Reasonable storage.
However, don't buy this for its internet/LAN connectivity. The Panasonic supported Diga APP is appalling, I haven't gotten close to streaming from the HD recorder with this (which it purports to be able to do). The smart tv component of the setup is similarly moribund. Netflix and BBC Iplayer are fine but there is little support for other mainstream video on demand services. And you can't run these functions at the same time as recording is happening!
Since purchasing this I have bought an Android TV box which for around 60 has provided considerably more functionality with very powerful smart tv potential.
To be fair, as a hard disk recorder it is ok but I could have got the basics for less than half the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what I says on the can, 1 Jun 2014
If you don't watch much TV get one of these! Plug it in, it sets itself up then programme it to record anything you like on tv and the ongoing items or series then watch at your leisure wiz zing through the adverts!
Good quality product and no DVDs to fiddle about with great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 23 Jan 2014
H. M. Klinkenberg (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
After two previous purchases being poor (Topup TV Digihome) and very poor (Goodmans) I was not expecting the excellent performance of this Panasonic recorder. I don't like recommending products unless they are excellent - I do recommend this product and would give it 4.9 out of 5. Shame the programme listing is just one week and there is no programme search facility, if there was I would give it a 5. One excellent feature is the 'skip button' which allows you to skip adverts on recorded programmes - magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recoeder!, 14 Mar 2014
Just ditched cable tv as I got tired of paying for channels which I don't watch. Got internet and phone from another provider and tv from this wonderful box! The quality is awesome and I can record too, brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Humax!, 13 Jan 2014
I bought this Panasonic to replace my ageing Humax 9200T because of the increasing number of HD channels.

Naturally, finding your way around the menus is a bit different so it takes a bit of getting used to. Some features are 'blocked' while you're recording which the Humax was able to "multi-task" but what's the point in making the box too "clever" if it's constantly locking up!

So far, the Panasonic has behaved perfectly and I'm more than happy to forego a feature or two if it means the box is more reliable.

Its twin tuners can't record two programmes while watching a third but the ability to do so was so quirky in the Humax (only certain channels being available), on balance it's better without it!

The remote controls the TV's volume control but has no 'mute' button. I found all the functions I needed to operate the Panasonic could be incorporated into a One-for-All URC7140 universal remote so the mute button was easily added.

Plus Points (compared with the Humax 9200T):

Great picture quality even on the SD channels.
Ability to renumber channels in the EPG to enable, for example, BBC1 HD to be in EPG channel 1 position.
Ability to scan channels by region (as well as manually and automatically) to avoid picking up wrong region.
Doesn't constantly lock up.
Very little lag between pushing a button on the remote and the Panasonic responding (MUCH less lag than the Humax).
Quiet - no fan.
Small size.

Things I miss (compared with the Humax):

The EPG doesn't have a cursor to indicate the current time.
The EPG doesn't have a "Find" function.

The Panasonic obviously gains new features through the internet wired connection (separate - expensive - dongle needed if you want to use wireless) so I haven't included those in the comparison.

Humax boxes are always held up as the "Gold Standard" and I've never understood why! Mine was slow, laggy and forever locking up. So far (two weeks), the Panasonic hasn't hiccuped once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good Unit, 30 May 2014
I purchased this as a replacement for a Sony unit which had a very short life. For me, this has been a far better buy as it is far more straightforward to operate and the picture quality on the HD channels is superb. Well done Panasonic.