5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera, which is fantastic in low light situations
Published 16 months ago by Sarah Wall-Budden

1.0 out of 5 stars Suffers from battery issue that is all too common online
I ordered two of these SX270HS's with high expectations from reading online reviews and also the reputation that it has established on Amazon - I can't fault the cameras photo/video quality but it suffers from an issue that alot of these camera models do.

Published 15 months ago by John Boland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera, which is fantastic in low light situations, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX270 HS Compact Digital Camera - Grey (12.1MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I am giving this camera 4 and 1/2 stars, but it won't let you put in the half! This is a great camera, it is compact, but has some reassuring weight behind it, so it doesn't feel cheap. It looks really nice style wise, and the gunmetal grey colour is a lovely change from black or bright silver. The image quality of photos is excellent, with the high pixel resolution allowing high zoom levels without distortion. The photos it takes in low light conditions is a revelation, thanks to Canons clever technology, which is great because I hate the light quality that small flashes bring. This camera loses half a star for me for two reasons. Firstly, this camera has an inbuilt fault where it believes the camera battery is dead when using the video recorder setting, when it isn't. This is easily remedied using a download to fix the bug, but it first happened to me during my son's nativity play, so obviously we lost lots of precious footage. How it can be that Canon did not notice this fault during testing sessions for the camera is amazing. The second reason is the position of the pop up flash. I hold a camera with a finger on the top of the camera, either side of the camera body. However, this means that your finger blocks the flash from rising, which causes an error so you have to restart the camera. I am learning to hold the camera differently, but for me, as I don't like using a flash too much, it hasn't been too much of an issue. Overall a fantastic little camera whose picture quality belies it's size, just please Canon, fix your bugs before you release a product for sale.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suffers from battery issue that is all too common online, 14 Jan. 2014

There is an 80 page thread on the Canon forum regarding this issue, in which the vast majority of them suffer from : [...]
Basically what happens is, the camera records video for 1-5 minutes and then shuts down stating that it has low battery after displaying the battery indicator. This happens when the camera has had a full charge and once booted back up the battery once again displays a full battery. This issue is consistent with the two cameras I purchased.

Canon have constructed a 'fix' which is in the form of a firmware update but it's not applicable to my camera as the cameras delivered by Amazon are already running the latest firmware - there is alot of discussion on the canon forums that the fix does not work in the vast majority of instances and it's an actual fault with the camera which Canon won't admit due to the cost of a mass recall.

Before purchasing this camera, or it's sister SX280 I reccomend reading up thoroughly on the battery issues that these face - as it's an all too common problem. Once again, the two cameras I purchased both suffer from identical issues and canon support recommend just sending them back to Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 16 Jun. 2013
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've had Canons for many years, Ixus's, a G10 and a D350, but I've never had a so-called travel zoom with a long lens. I normally prefer a brighter lens, having had an F2 until this, but the Digic 6 seems to be an improvement and goes some way to compensating for the necessarily less bright lens on this camera.

I've only used it a couple of times, so this is really just a quick initial review to kickstart this model. I debated between this, the SX 280, the S110 and the G15. I dropped the G15 because I really like having a 24 or 25mm lens and I thought I'd try the latest Digic 6 over the 5 on the undoubtedly superior but uninspiring S110. I can't see me using GPS or wifi, so that left the SX 270.

First of all, the blue is lovely, but that's not why I bought it, which was actually to try the big zoom. I'm pleased to say that it's at least as good as I had hoped. The flexibility of a 20x zoom is incredible, especially on a bright day, but I was a bit surprised that it actually takes the camera a few seconds to focus and stabilise at that range. Ideally you'd want to use even a mini-tripod at that range, especially in less bright conditions, but so far my handheld shots at 20x have been very impressive to me at least.

I've also used it quite a bit indoors with the warmer flash sync setting (I forget the name) and it seems as good as my Ixus with the F2 lens, although I've not done any outdoor lit building shots yet.

I'd read that the common Canon quirk of the flash popping up on switch-on didn't apply to this range, but unfortunately that only seems to apply when the camera is set to no flash. For anything else it pops up, but you get used to it,

The body is larger than an Ixus, but smaller than the S110, so a decent enough size if you don't have small hands. I bought a Lowepro Dashpoint 10 Bag for Camera - Slate Grey which fits perfectly, although it's a squeeze when I put a spare battery in. I decided to splash out and go for the original Canon Battery Pack NB-6L as a spare, as I was aware that this range would be relatively power-hungry (although not having a GPS means it shouldn't be as bad as the SX 280) and prior experience shows that non-original batteries simply don't last as long.

In summary, I'm impressed enough so far not to have any regrets, and really like the long zoom, but I'll update this review in a few weeks after it's had more serious and varied use.

Update 18/07/13 - I've now been on holiday with it and have taken around 1,500 shots and am very impressed with the picture quality. Even at 20x zoom, you can still get clear handheld photos, even from a wobbly boat. The only negative to my previous Ixus 210 with the F2 lens is that I can't get the same warm looking night-time shots of lit-up buildings, although the person-flash (???) setting still gives the same nice warm and bright background I had with the brighter lens. I probably just need to study it a bit more, though.

One new feature I particularly like is that you can adjust the power of the flash. This is very useful for daylight fill-in flash if the subject is a bit further away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for photo's, dire for Video & ultimately very frustrating., 22 Aug. 2014
Dave G "Dave G" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Well here you are looking for a new camera and wanting to find out more about the Canon SX270HS, should you buy one ?, in short; yes, but only if you want great photographs and never use the video mode.

If you want to know more read on; First a History lesson; No Canon camera has ever appealed to me and unsurprisingly I've never owned one either, I've never rated them and hate the alien PASM mode (tv & av?), look anywhere and you will see that within the compact world Sony and Panasonic are the top dogs, the HX and TZ series are the benchmarks, spend a little more and the likes of the RX100 is Making the G series look dated, so yes I'm definitely not a fan of Canon, however;

In addition to a Sony A77 I had a very reliable but ageing Sony HX9v compact camera and wanted a cheap'ish new camera (around £150), with great I.Q, x20 zoom and quick operation, having researched as you probably are now, I narrowed my choice and the Sx280 was in the mix, I then went in store to try my short list for size, I liked the Sx280's camera's operation, however because it has very bad feedback regarding video battery life and general battery life when the GPS and wifi are on, I went for the Sx270, where apparently the infamous firmware fix was less of an issue (less negative's online). Or so I thought.

Right, here's what I think;

The Good

The Image Quality is very good, images are sharp, metering and white balance is spot on.
It is easy to use and is very intuitive / instinctive.
The AEL functionality is of great benefit to me.
Accessing Macro Mode is very easy.
The camera operates and focusses quickly.
The I.S is very effective and achieves good shots at very low shutter speeds (hand held).
ISO control is exceptional and I have no problems with using high iso settings.
Ignore the moans and groans about battery life with normal photo's, as I got around 300 using cheap batteries, (£6.99 for 3 1500mAh, bought on Amazon), however these were not as good as the original Canon battery, and when it came to using the video (if it worked) the cheap batteries lasted seconds.
The P.A.S.M modes, is of huge benefit to anyone not using Auto.
If you can get it to work properly the video mode provides good quality with exceptional sound quality.

The slow-mo video mode is fun but nothing more than a gimmick with very poor quality and no sound.

The bad:
Video is erratic to say the least, press the red button and anything can happen, the red flashing low battery light can and will appear at any time, I tested the camera with two full batteries and recording time was totally erratic; 12 mins 18secs, 30 seconds, 1 min 43, 6 secs, 9 mins 47, etc,etc, on every occasion upon powering back up, a full battery was displayed, so in short if you press the red movie button you just cannot guess how long video will last, surely a serious flaw ??.

So Canon's product testing and the firmware clearly doesn't resolve a problem that has been known for quite a while, just google sx280/270 battery problem.

There is no quick and easy way of finding out your firmware version, you can with a Sony.
The hand grip is minimal and of very little use.
There are no Hdr or panorama modes, two modes that have been around for years.
The flash position is awkward and dangerous, as it powers itself up and down which can and will trap fingers, especially if a child holds it.
If you should be lucky to get any amount of time using the video, be careful zooming as it quickly and easily loses focus regardless of how slow you zoom in/out. I had heard that Canon's video af was poor when compared to others, and it is indeed poor.
Don't zoom (video/images) beyond x40 as there is a noticeable drop in quality.
The sport mode is hopeless in anything less than very good light.
No live histogram.
The manual and paperwork is copious but multi-lingual so is of very little use, as only a tiny fraction is relevant, the downloadable manual is 197 pages and is somewhat lacking in finer detail, e.g. in auto 58 scenes are on offer, what are they ?. And not even Canon customer servs can answer that one. I generally find reading the manual frustrating as it tends to leave you with more questions than answers.
There is no usb cable.
Long exposure operations (15 secs) are very poorly documented and of no use (with timer).
The battery compartment is hard to open and removal of a battery is cumbersome.

Summary:
For me and a huge amount of people the battery issue is the greatest bug bear, and a definite deal breaker if you like to use the video mode. I've had trouble and I've only been using the 30fps mode sparingly, Photo quality is very good and generally it's a good little camera with a few glaring shortfalls, with a bit more testing and thought it could have put Canon up with the top two, Canon's response to my email requesting information said it all; send it to Canon for repair. They have without doubt produced a flawed camera and have provided a firmware fix, that "doesn't" appear to work, the repair takes time, and despite being promised a return delivery date, it did eventually turn up 8 days later, even though all they did was reset the firmware, which takes minutes ??, and as expected the problem (low battery warning light) came on after just 16 minutes, half an hour later I tried again, this time it recorded for just 3 seconds, clearly Canon appear incapable of producing a small compact camera without a glaring fault.

I have really tried to like this camera because it has so many good traits, sadly though, as well as the battery fault Canon have provided us with a camera that has a mixed bag of features, i.e. no auto panorama or HDR, and shorter battery life than other equally good cameras etc, my advice; avoid this camera at all costs, because even if you don't use video now, you will want to at some stage, and the video mode on this camera is total and utter pants, you will get very frustrated, just like me and hundreds (possibly thousands) have done.

If you want to spend around £200 get the Sony HX50 or Panasonic Tz40, around £300 the Sony Hx60 or Panasonic Tz60, and for anything higher look at the Sony RX100 Mk2.

Last update, 20th Oct 14; because the video flaw was so bad the Camera was sent back and I bought a Sony HX60 instead, I did briefly consider getting the Sx280's replacement; the SX700 until remembering how very poor Canon's customer service was, their loss ;-).

1.0 out of 5 stars This camera would be brilliant if it weren't for the battery issues, 21 July 2014
This camera would be brilliant if it weren't for the battery issues, which make it completely unreliable. I bought mine for a one-off holiday in a very photogenic place, only to miss loads of shots when the camera shut itself down, claiming the (fully-charged) battery was flat. I took it back to the shop when I returned, and it was sent off to Canon for a firmware update and new battery, which for a while seemed to fix the problem - but now it is doing it again. This time I am returning it for a refund, having lost all confidence in the model/brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera with a few gremlins, 14 Nov. 2014
A great camera that takes truly stunning shots, especially once you master the manual controls. Instead of doing what everyone does and list what's good, I'm going to list a few issues I have with this camera:

Battery life is appalling; there's no other word to describe it. I frequently record footage, and the battery dies after 20 minutes of recording. You'll be lucky to get 50 photos out of it, too.

My camera microphones came with an almighty hiss right from day 1. I have no idea if I just got a bad example, but nevertheless the sound quality instantly ruins the beautiful 1080p/60fps video quality. I now resort to an external microphone plugged into a small laptop.

Zoom motor sound is clearly picked up in video recording.

Autofocus does have its dim-witted moments, too.

However, if I was to list the positives of this camera, they would be twice as long as my negative list. I just believe knowing the flaws are more important when deciding what to buy. Hope I helped!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets my expectations - easy to use for non-professional, 27 Mar. 2014
Easy to use, clear instructions, intuitive functions. Robust finish, so far very pleased with this camera. Quality of pictures are clear and true.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want to shoot video avoid this camera!, 23 April 2014
This camera has a fault in that it will only shoot approximately 5 minutes of video at a time because there is a firmware fault Canon do not want to deal with. If you only want stills its OK.

1.0 out of 5 stars same battery problem...., 4 Feb. 2014
I've owned my 270 hs for about six weeks. After a month I had the same battery problem documented by a couple of reviewers, although it is erratic. However when it's the only camera you have taken on an extended holiday it's incredibly disappointing - many missed moment when camera just would not work! Please see the advice of one reviewer and take the time to read up online the well documented problems with this camera which Canon appear to wash their hands of! I have bought semi professional and other cameras from Canon over many years, all of consistently high quality (currently a 9 year old 5D MkII still working as new - and with original battery!) so and am really surprised and disappointed. The 270 hs is a super camera when it works. Tip: if you have one with this problem, try charging it for longer than the green charging light indicates, it helps sometimes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light weight alternative to DSLR when skiing., 22 Feb. 2014
I purchased the SX270 to use as compact alternative to my Canon 7D for a recent ski holiday. I was pleasantly surprised with the image quality of this camera, image stabilisation proved excellent and it was very easy to use. Battery life for still photographs, even in cold conditions was good and was able to last a full day's skiing, however life reduced dramatically when the video function was used. My only negative would be video use, which produced slightly jumpy video and proved a little disappointing. very happy with this purchase and I would highly recommend the Canon SX270 to anyone looking for a DSLR back up or high quality compact camera.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›