5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade from an older D-SLR
Published 5 months ago by Mr. R. D. Turner

1.0 out of 5 stars Illegal imports apparently say Canon UK
Should have got a chinese one off ebay for less -

Bought under the Canon cashback offer advertised all over Amazon to ensure proper warrenty and cashback - tried to claim to be told by 'Canon UK' in an email or whoever actually runs their regular cashback scheme that the camera Amazon UK (based on the serial number) sold me is a grey market import and illegal...
Published 17 months ago by Nathan

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade from an older D-SLR, 2 July 2014
Mr. R. D. Turner (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have been using digital SLR cameras for about 12 years. Up until recently I used mainly Nikon as that was what I used with film but this time I decided to give the Canon a go. The main reason for this was size. This EOS100D is tiny compared to the competition but very well featured. I did wonder how much of an upgrade it would be from my Nikon D3100 but the following features are all very usable:

1. Low light. This thing takes awesome pictures in almost darkness. Even at ISO 6400 photos come out saturated and detailed. It is frankly amazing.
2. Focus speed. Lots of focus points that always seem to grab focus.
3. ISO button for quick change of ISO
4. Touchscreen that works like an iPhone. Swipe and zoom is just the same and not like early rubbish touch screen.
5. Buttons for when you don't want to use a touchscreen!

Picture quality is superb and the 18MP is far more than I need for family and holiday snaps. The x factor that this camera has is the speed of use and the fact that I can throw it in a man bag and have it with me. A DSLR is so much more usable than a point and shoot or iPhone but this is not the kind of camera that makes you look like "camera guy".

Notes on the kit lens. With the low light photos being so good, the fact that this lens is not a fast prime matters a lot less. With my sample I found photos to be very well saturated and sharp. Doubtless better glass will give better results but time spent in Lightroom will also give even better photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little piece of magic, 6 Nov 2013
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Canon EOS 100D Digital SLR Camera - (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens,18MP, CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
If you're an amateur photographer or hobbyist that that has previously owned a DSLR, then you'll surely appreciate the fatigue that comes with carrying it around. For such expensive devices, there is quite an imbalance between performance and practicality.

So when Canon introduced the EOS 100D - "the worlds smallest and lightest DSLR" you may be asking what this product compromises on. There are afterall a whole range of EOS cameras that dwarf the 100D, and are often more striking when it comes down to design.

The only way to summarise this camera is that it's for people wanting full DSLR functionality without the full bulk of professional features.

There are three versions of this kit on offer - the camera body on its own (as per the usual), another with the EF 18-55mm kit lens, and a third that has the former lens but with built-in Image Stabilisation (IS) and a Stepper Motor (STM).

Canon's new 18-55mm lens is a smart revision, because the original version had a very cheap feel to it. Although this latest design still has a full plastic body and mount, it genuinely feels a little more rugged and has the added bonus of a manual focus ring, so it's much easier to get creative when shooting. Pay a little more, and you also get the indispensable `IS' for handheld portraits at lower shutter speeds, and the decent `STM' for video recording.

Optically, the 18-55mm lens is unproblematic and will serve its purpose for outdoors.

Moving onto the 100D itself, there are a range of interesting design choices that set it apart. Is there anything more to say about its form? This thing is light, and it never feels like any corners have been cut. Sure enough the battery has been downsized too, but this is a small sacrifice for something that you have no hesitation in carrying around with you.

High-end DSLR's tend to try and `solve' menu navigation by offering a whole array of physical buttons, and this is acceptable if your needs demand it. However, capacitive touch-screens have improved greatly over the past several years, making them more comfortable and precise to use on a regular basis.

The 100D features such, and it provides an excellent method for changing your camera's settings with ease. This is achieved by first tapping an unlock button (labelled `Q' for Quick), which then highlights and allows for change to anything that you would normally prioritise - white balance, shutter speed, aperture and more.

There is almost zero learning curve, and importantly, it solves deep menu navigation.

Canon had the foresight to include that `lock' function because it prevents accidental input. Not only this, but the screen automatically dims when you raise the camera to look through the viewfinder. The screen is bright and very, very sharp, with the option to change the colour scheme of the menus if you wish.

In play mode, the screen can also be used to navigate photographs in a similar manner to a tablet or smartphone, with swipe and pinch-to-zoom gestures.

Despite the inclusion of a touch-screen, you can still use the camera in exactly the same way as always using its physical buttons. Everything is laid out nice and clearly, with the buttons themselves only having access to functions that you would need or use frequently. This is perfect for advanced amateurs or casual photographers that like to control the camera knowing, almost by heart, the layout of the buttons and exactly what they do.

What genuinely came as a surprise to me however was the 100D's performance in shooting. It's easy to assume that, based upon the camera's size and price, it can never compete with the higher end DSLRs that often cost twice or three times as much. The truth is, this little guy is as good as anything that I've ever seen. The images are quite remarkable both in JPEG and RAW, with a mesmerising range of colours and clarity. RAW images will consume in excess of 20mb of storage, but the quality of the JPEGs (at almost half of the required storage) will surely satisfy a majority of users.

The 100D does of course feature a cropped sensor, but this is expected at the price range. Again, full frame camera's are only going to wet the appetites of top professionals.

So to draw one popular comparison, why pick an EOS over a mirror less camera? One word: lenses. This of course applies to Nikon's DSLRs too, but the advantage of picking a compact DSLR such as the 100D over, say, an Olympus Pen, is that you have access of hundreds of different lenses - many of which are continuously updated and priced very decently in comparison.

It should also be known that, as is the way fashion moves, many of these compact mirrorless cameras (with interchangeable lenses) are priced according to how they look, rather than how they perform.

A somewhat added bonus to this particular product is that it arrived with an excellent Canon DVD, which helps to explain the functions of the EOS range, its accessories, and more importantly how these can be used to creative effect (All narrated by professionals). The video is neither one long promotion nor a snooze-cruise, but a genuinely engaging tutorial that will benefit amateur photographers and those looking to get the most out of their camera. In its own right, this could have been sold separately, but the choice to include it for free is simply excellent.

So without wanting to say more than is necessary, I really can't recommend the EOS 100D enough. The initial outlay is quite a step up from the more budget conscious 1100D, but what you're getting in return are images of professional quality from a simplified camera body. What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning - selling my 5d2 as a result, 23 April 2014
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As an enthusiastic amateur, I've long been searching for a decent second camera for when I don't want to take my big DSLR and heavy lenses out. Having been disappointed with the canon s95 (not impressive at all) and Fuji x10 (great in good light, terrible in bad light), I picked up an official canon refurb 100d.

I have been absolutely blown away by this camera. Paired with either the 40mm f2.8 pancake lens, or my 50mm f1.4, it is amazing. The low light performance is brilliant, and shooting at iso 3200 gives almost noise free images. I'd go as far as to say that in low light, it's as good as my full frame 5D2. Yes, the frame rate is not quite as fast, there's no weather proofing and the controls are not quite as good as on the higher end models, but (and this is a big but) - it is so compact you will want to take it everywhere.

Critically for me, it feels and operates like a DSLR should - the viewfinder is brilliant (which is a key reason I haven't embraced mirrorless CSC technology), and the touch screen makes function selection very fast. Battery life is very good, and using SD cards means storage is much cheaper than the compact flash that my 5D2 took.

The images I captured with the 100d were indistinguishable from my 5D shots (not just to me, but to at least 5 other photographers I showed them to), and the experience of living with a camera this small is just fabulous.

As an entry into the world of DSLRs, this would be a great purchase. Well specced and easy to use. As a second camera body, you'll have gathered from my review, it's so good that it is becoming my only camera body.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small camera, 10 Feb 2014
The Canon EOS100D is a very nice, very small DSLR. I also own an EOS7 which costs nearly three times as much, and the results from the 100D are evry bit as good. There small size takes a bit of getting used to, but once you put a lens on it, there is plenty to get hold of. I know from experience that it can be quite uncomfortable carrying a heavy camera around all day, and the lightness of the 100D is very welcome in this respect. Despite being light, it feels very robust and well made and the polycarbonate case feels almost the same as Canon's more expensive magnesium bodied cameras.
there are two things I don't like. Firstly, the camera is a bit patronising! Every time you change a setting it explains what the new setting is used for, as if you know nothing about cameras. This is a waste of time. Perhaps you can turn it off, but I haven't looked at the DVD handbook, so I'm not sure. There is a small but quite comprehensive instruction book as well as a DVD so you don't need to use the DVD unless you really want to know everything about the camera.
The other thing I don't like is the batty case cover. It feels flimsy, so you would need to be careful when using it. Cards are also accessed using this cover. So you will be opening it quite often. A shame really because it spoils an otherwise quality product, and is the reason why I have only awarded four stars. It's not a major problem however, so don't be put off by this.
The shutter allows 4 frames per second. I thought I might find this a bit slow compared to my EOS7 but it's fine and in fact I have difficulty just taking one shot when it's set to multi- shoot.
To summarise- an excellent camera, particularly for someone with small hands and also a worthwhile buy as a second camera when you want something a bit compact without sacrificing quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit - take it everywhere for superb photos., 27 Aug 2013
M. Eadon (North Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Took the plunge on the EOS100D + the 18-55 STM lens after lugging around an EOS60D in the hot weather earlier this summer. Totally justified the money spent on this. The camera is a joy to use, the lens is sharp and so much better built than the older 18-55 standard lenses. The 4 stop IS in this lens gives sharp pictures where logic says they ought to be blurred and the stepper motor (STM) focussing is unobtrusive - fast and silent. The whole outfit is so small and light it's so easy to take it everywhere while away from home where before one might have just carried a compact or nothing.

Wonderful photos, even up to ISO 3200 indoors. If you're used to using EOS cameras just pick it up and start shooting - it just works. With the touch screen a beginner would soon be up and running as well. The small battery doesn't mean a short life, it's good for 400 shots I found. No ergonomic problems with the small body, although it does look a bit odd with a big L series lens on the front it works fine.

Don't think the 60D will be getting a lot of use now.....

Consider getting also an EF-S 18-135 STM lens for travel, that one lens will do everything well and it's still a very portable option with the 100D body.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of tech!, 28 May 2013
A. Ross "gadget freak" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have owned several of the canon rebel cameras from the 300d to the 700d and several in-between. I have to say this is the most enjoyable rebel i have handled to date. Now i have to qualify this and say i have smaller than average hands for a guy and always found cameras such as the 650d and 700d as big as i would like to hold comfortably. The 60d for example is way too big for me to hold comfortably. This 100d fits me like a glove. Its really weird when you hold it for the first time, like its shrunk in the wash, but after a while you forget about its size. Its just such a nicely balanced camera. This is better than the 650d i owned and whether this is in-camera processing or a result of the totally re-engineered camera i dont know. The sensor is the same size and said to be the same sensor as the other rebels but with improved servo focusing for video. However it could be the result of the first totally new body for a rebel since the 450d i believe. I love the ease of the touch screen, hit the set button and you can now click on any of the main settings without having to go into the menu or hard custom buttons. Actually you dont get hard set buttons like the other rebels, for example a dedicated button for picture style etc. But i really dont miss them. The camera has also been a better all round match for all my lenses than all the other rebels. I have always had one or more lens give back or front focus issues but on this 100d they are all much nearer the sweet spot and none so far out you miss focus. I ma really talking about lenses such as my 100mm f2 and 50mm 1.8 where wide open the DOF is so small that accurate focus is critical. The 100d with the 40mm canon pancake lens is a marriage made in heaven, i just love the combination of these two little marvels and how so do not stand out from the crowd. I like taking street snaps but even with the 650d and a 28-135 zoom you get looks all the time. With this combination you blend into the crowd for some great snaps of moments in time.
So to go to the 100d from a rebel you lose the articulated LCD, well i never made use of that anyway. For others this may be a deal breaker. You lose stereo video recording, well no big deal, its not really the ideal way to record video anyway. So for me there were no big trade off's and in my mind i actually have the best rebel for image quality out there. I do shoot raw too btw so im not just talking about jpeg processing.

update: june 2014
bought a 70d this year and have to say the noise levels are on a par with the 100d and my copy of the 100d is actually sharper than the 70d. The 70d only wins out in its autofocus speed for video (it does of course have a lot more features and faster burst rate etc). Quite remarkable really for such a small camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Big things come in small packages, 26 Sep 2013
R. Stevens (Woking) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
2 or 3 years ago I spent weeks trying to decide between getting a `classic' DSLR or one of the new micro four thirds models. I was attracted to the size of the mirrorless models because (among other things) I knew there'd be times when I just didn't feel like lumping a larger camera and lenses around.

I finally went for a Canon EOS600D because I wanted the larger sensor and better focus performance and haven't regretted it. All I regret is that Canon didn't have the 100D at that time - I wouldn't have had such a hard time choosing my camera!

I've had the 100D for a month now and it is just amazing. It is much smaller and lighter than the 600D but feels almost identical to operate, despite a couple of missing buttons. The shutter action is quieter than the 600D and it is very comfortable to hold, even for people with biggish hands. The body and grip are only really let down by its size when you put a larger lens on. I have a Canon 70-300 zoom lens that just dominates the body when attached, but despite this and the weight shifting more towards the lens, it remains very usable, after a few shots I no longer noticed the difference.

There are actually some things that the 100D does better than the 600D. The new STM motor equipped kit lens is astounding. It is so quiet and fast that at first I thought it wasn't working! The motor is completely inaudible and focus speeds are noticeably quicker than the old USM equipped lens, though some of this might actually be down to the new dual focus system of the 100D. Recording video is only let down by the removal of one of the microphones, which means you're recording mono sound in place of the stereo you'd get from the 100D's larger brethren. If you do need or want stereo audio the camera is fully capable, needing only the optional external microphone to do so.

The tactile screen might seem a bit gimmicky to some, but it makes navigating the menus and choosing settings a much quicker affair than using the old thumb stick, so it is a welcome addition as well.

The continuous shooting performance also impressed me; virtually nothing seems to have been sacrificed in the name of size or weight. I say virtually because there are a couple of exceptions. The first is the aforementioned trimming of the second microphone; the second is a reduction in battery size, since the smaller body does not have room for such a big battery. The 100D is equipped with an 875mAh battery, compared to the 1120mAh in my 600D. I haven't compared power consumption between the two models, but I guesstimate you can expect about a 20% drop in shooting time from a fully charged battery compared to the larger models.

The 100D's real weakness is actually in the lenses. This is where things fall down compared to micro four thirds cameras, which have smaller, lighter lenses to go with their smaller bodies (and sensors). With the 100D you're still stuck with the full size lenses of a classic DSLR. However, I'm sure you could have a lot of fun with this camera and the pancake prime lenses from Canon, of which there are already 22mm and 40mm STM equipped versions. Go for a bigger zoom as well and you'd be a very happy little bunny.

Would I choose the 100D over a 700D? That's a tough one! I'm not sure I could give an answer to that right now, but I will say that I would not tell anyone to get the 700D in place of the 100D if they were leaning in that direction. My final comment is this; there have been times when I've regretted that my camera isn't smaller, there haven't been anywhere I've wanted it to be bigger...

5.0 out of 5 stars A mini powerhouse, 2 Jun 2013
Lumpster (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am a long time Canon DSLR user (300D > 400D > 60D) and have been really happy with the results that these cameras have produced. However, I have also used a Canon Powershot SX210 as a portable back up to my SLR and have become increasingly disillusioned about the results this produces compared to my wife's Olympus PEN CSC. I therefore started a search for a new lightweight camera with a CSC very much in mind but having looked at the Canon EOS-M / Lumix GX1 / Olympus E-PL5 / Sony NEX-3n, I finally settled on an EOS 100d.....and am really pleased I did. Let me explain my logic.

1) the EOS 100d has a viewfinder....something that is a costly option on most CSCs and not even offered on the EOS-M
2) the EOS 100d has a built in flash - something the Canon and latest Olympus CSCs don't, which detracts from their portability
3) it provides SLR performance in a really small package....not much bigger than most of the CSCs
4) I can use all of my existing Canon lenses with it
5) the screen resolution is better than the CSCs (esp the latest Olympus PENs)
6) handling is much better for me (as a guy with big hands) than a CSC

The EOS 100d is, for me, the perfect package offering a lightweight and compact body without all of the compromises that the CSCs entail. Picture quality is awesome, usability is a dream. The only issue I foresee is that I probably won't use my 60D anywhere near as much now.

Shop around for the best deal - I ended up buying a 18-55 kit at Currys - with an exclusive extra Canon battery bundled in as standard on all its 100Ds - for £539 less the £40 cashback that Canon is offering in its summer promotion. Whilst the lens in the kit I bought isn't the IS one, I have an unused IS kit lens from my 60D that I have swapped it with.

The only real disadvantage of the 100D versus its bigger siblings that I have discovered thus far is its fixed LCD screen versus the fantastic tilt-able / flip-able models on the bigger Canon DSLRs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 6 Nov 2013
I have a professional DSLR (Canon EOS 5D Mark III - SLR Digital Camera (Body only)) which is very heavy and I often leave it at home because of its weight. As an everyday camera, I had been using a mirror-less camera since May 2013 (Fujifilm X100S Digital Camera - Silver (16.3 MP, APS-C 16M X-Trans CMOS II with EXR Processor II) 2.8 inch LCD). I sold the Fujifilm X100S 6 weeks ago because I found it fiddly to use. It was also very expensive and the auto focus was slower than what I am used to. The 100D replaces the Fuji X100s and has become my everyday camera as well as a very capable back-up to my professional camera.

I like:
Size, weight, speed and ease of changing camera settings, full manual control, hot shoe, E-TTL II, quick auto focus, good viewfinder, bright and crisp LCD screen, touchscreen that is simple and that is responsive, photo quality below ISO 1600, photo quality at ISO 100-400 is superb, compatible with so many lenses, exposure compensation, flash compensation (although limited to +/- 2 stops), large sensor, canon's button and menu layout. I also like that it has a variety of auto modes so people with little camera expertise can easily take photos too.

Don't like: (bear in mind I'm comparing it to my Canon 5D Mark iii camera)

ISO quality above 1600. ISO 3200 is OK, ISO 6400 has lots of coloured grain but nevertheless useable for internet sized photos.
Max 1/4000 shutter speed (hindrance when shooting at big apertures on a bright sunny day)
No HSS for the built in flash (limits its use as fill-flash on sunny days)
The auto focus assist light is blinding. An IR focus assist light would be much more pleasant for those being photographed.
Not weather sealed.

I don't think this camera will be very easy to use at apertures larger than f/2.8. Only the centre focus point is cross type and therefore the only very accurate focus point. Unless you manually focus, the 'focus and recompose' method is the only auto focus option that is quick and reliable and this technique changes the focal plain. This can result in missed focus when there is a very narrow depth of field. Also, the 1/4000 max. shutter speed is limiting in bright light so ND filters will have to be used with fast lenses.

Compatible lenses are larger than the lenses made for four third and mirrorless cameras. Most good quality DSLR lenses are large or heavy and cancel out the 100D's light weight and small size. The Canon 40mm pancake lens is ideal for this camera as well as small primes such as the 28mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/1.8.

I have found the kit 18-55mm STM lens to be very good. it is also very light. The IS helps a lot given its small aperture. Evening shots without moving objects can be photographed handheld. During the day, the lens is great for landscapes, events and portraits. The lens is excellent for video because of the IS and STM silent focusing. For what it is, the kit lens is really very good indeed. It has a small aperture and therefore can't get a narrow depth of field nor can it photograph people in low light without flash. For photographing people in the late evening or in a dimly lit room, flash should be used.

The camera has so many of the same qualities as my professional DSLR camera. The main differences to the 5D Mark iii is the sensor size, the slight but nevertheless noticeable photo quality at high ISOs (3200 and 6400 ISOs) and the number of cross-type AF points. With mirrorless and compact cameras, so many sacrifices are often made (for example: hot shoe, sensor size, viewfinder, focus speed, control dials and buttons, lens aperture, lens quality, value for money). With the 100D there are so few sacrifices. The 100D is truly a great DSLR and can produce images of outstanding quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars The camera body arrived in excellent time & very securely packaged, 10 Sep 2014
The camera body arrived in excellent time & very securely packaged. The only problem was that it did not come with an English handbook! However I downloaded the official Canon instructions - all nearly 400 pages! Nevertheless a very competitive price & very satisfied. I have several Canon cameras & this one is just superb!