5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera
Published 1 month ago by Karrade

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful
Published 10 months ago by voice of reason

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 31 Oct 2014
Very Impressed so far with this camera. I upgraded from the old 400d that I have had for quite a few years and the quality leap in the photographs produced is very good indeed. The touch screen interface is brilliantly thought out and intuitive, within minutes I was changing apertures and shutter speeds with a swipe of a finger. The kit lens is far better quality than the one I received when I originally purchased the 400D and is in fact a very useable product. All my accessories from my old EOS camera fit and work fine with the new body (lenses, flashes etc) but the battery is different so I can't keep my old battery as a spare and the memory card system has changed from the old compact flash system to the more popular SD standard. The camera does not come with an SD card so make sure you order one otherwise you'l have a camera with no way of storing any photographs. I purchased a reasonably priced average 32gb card off amazon for about a tenner and it is fast enough and big enough for my needs.

This body has an "APS" sized sensor as apposed to the "Full Frame" sensor in high priced more "Professional" EOS bodies like the 5D but these bodies are more than triple the price at least. The APS sized sensor actually has some benefits over the "Full Frame" ones if you are considering wildlife photography because all the lenses crop by a factor of x1.4 which means you get closer to the action for less money. Ideal if you are on a tight budget :).

The camera has various shooting modes which range from a fully automatic "pick up and click" mode which requires no thought whatsoever, through a fast "sports" mode with focus tracking and 5 frames per second shooting bursts, "Portrait" mode for warm skin tones. "Landscape" mode for lush vistas... all the way to fully "manual" mode where everything from shutter speed, aperture and ISO light sensitivity are fully controllable... plus various other other modes in between.

I have not really tried the movie recording side of the camera because i've always been of the opinion that if you want to film decent movies then buy a movie camera not a stills camera. I have taken a few clips and the results are crisp and sharp with fairly decent sound from the onboard stereo microphone.

Overall the 700D is a very creative, versatile piece of kit at the top end of Cannon's amateur EOS DSLR range. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone wanting to take photography fairly seriously but can't warrant spending thousands on a professional body.

I think it will take quite a while to outgrow the capabilities of this body and expect it will last me about 4 years before technology makes it feel a little dated.

Well worth a purchase :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 700D DSLR, 26 Aug 2013
Sanjay (Leicester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When buying an entry-level DSLR, there are many brands to choose from; Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. However there are 2 things to consider. Once you "buy into" a brand, you generally are stuck with them due to the compatibility of lenses, flashes etc. Secondly are you going to progress beyond that level? Arguably only Canon & Nikon cover the higher ends of the market. Sony represents exceptional value at the entry level but perhaps offers less at the pro-amateur level?

Personally I have concerns about the quality of some of the Canon products. My 17-85 IS lens failed me after only a couple of years.
This camera is a perfect replacement & upgrade for my old Canon 350d which has served me well for over 7 years. I also have a 40D which is much heavier but offers faster shot rate, more pixels, expanded ISO range etc.

The 700D is the latest in the "amateur" Canon DSLR range. The reduced sensor cameras go something like this; 1100D, 100D, 700D, 70D & 7D. After this, comes the full frame sensors.

The 700D is based on the 650D but uses a AF system designed to work better with the new STM lenses; 18-55, 18-135, 40mm pancake.

What you get...
You get the body, a 18-55 IS STM lens, charger, a couple of CDs, a strap and simple USB data cable.
The manual is 400 pages thick(!) and you don't get a handy reference guide.
The battery was supplied 2/3 charged but a full charge is recommended which initially should be overnight.
This uses a full size SD card. I recommend a faster class 10 card with a speed of 45mbps to accommodate HD video recording to prevent buffering problems. 32Gb is enough for over 3000 shots and should be enough for a few hours of video,

Appearance, Build & Ergonomics
There are only minor cosmetic differences between this and the 650D, there are major differences from my 350d This actually appears to use the same body as the 650d; it is made of a lighter plastic and feel less sturdy than the 350d BUT is it lighter & I don't think it would break easily. It has a robust rubberised grip unlike the 350 which had a thin rubber coating which wore off over the years.
Good weight & well balanced with lens attached, this should be fine with a larger lens. The buttons are well placed for those with average sized hands but if you have large hands, you may find the button layout a little fiddly, which is the draw back of the reduced sized bodies.

Screen
The screen is side hinged & can be viewed from a multitude of angles; overhead, waist level, folded out, folded in or folded away. One neat trick I found is that when taking a "selfie" and you rotate the screen to point towards the subject, the camera automatically goes into Live View mode. The quality of the screen is excellent. Colour, contrast & brightness are very good. The touchscreen is fairly responsive & the interface is easy enough to use.

Controls & Interface
All of the major controls are via buttons with some fine-tuning using the touchscreen. This is a major improvement over the 350d, enabling more freedom to experiment with settings quickly such as TV, AV & M modes. It took a little getting used to perhaps a more visual GUI may have made more sense.

Lens
The supplied 18-55 F3.5 - 5.6 lens is image stabilised and uses the newest stepper motor. This new motor is extremely quick and completely silent, unlike the old USM lenses. This kit lens is certainly a major step-up from the old 18-55 non-IS lenses they used to supply with their kits. It's a little longer than the previous 18-55 USM. It takes a filter and lens hood but neither are supplied.

Taking photos
Anyone who is familiar with the use of Canon DSLRs will immediately feel at home with this item. The addition of an intuitive touchscreen makes tinkering of the settings very easy hence I found I tended to experiment more with my photography.
The supplied kit lens provided respectable results. The photos were a little soft compared to, say, my Canon 17-85mm
My "test case" was a close-up of a flower in my garden. I find this to be a good test of focus, level of detail, colouration, contrast etc.
The supplied lens did a respectable job but once I had swapped over to the 17-85 and compared this against the 40D, based on my initial test, I was truly impressed by the results.
The AF is super fast & accurate. The metering was OK in evaluative mode but on Spot the results was excellent. The level of detail & colouration on the photo was very impressive.
When using the 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM lens, the results were better than the 40D by some margin. When using the kit lens, they were comparable. Essentially this means my 40D is obsolete!

Live View - what to expect
The camera has a live view function. Unlike my 40D, this can autofocus in live view. This is a real luxury on a SLR as it enables some additional creativity during composition but it is NOT a direct replacement for the viewfinder. The additional lag in moving the mirror & additional AF time prevents this being used as a good point & Shoot camera. If this is a real problem for you then I would recommend a mirrorless camera system like a m4/3 camera.

Video
The Canon 700D takes full HD video, that's 1080p. You should be able to get a ew hours onto a 32Gb card. Just ensure you have a fast enough card. 45mbps was recommended to me.
One of the main problems with the earlier models was the noise of the lens motor during shooting. The new STM lenses alleviate this problem by having near-silent stepper motors. I can confirm that there is no noise from the lens motor whatsoever. The file sizes are huge; a 31s video took-up nearly 190mb. So you'd get 2.5 to 3 minutes per gigabyte?! The video quality was excellent with absolutely no judder. Sound quality was a little "thin". If you were going to use the video facility seriously, I would recommend an add-on mic.

Connections & Software
On my Windows 7 PC there was no need to download any drivers. Photoshop Elements saw the camera & simply downloaded the files into my organiser. If you don't own Photoshop or anything similar, then Canon provides their Solutions Disc which includes a downloader & organiser. I have not used this latest version, but the earlier versions for the 350D were horrid. My advice would be to purchase a good bit of software fairly soon after buying this. In the mean-time the Canon software is functional but just about bearable.
Mini-USB cable. Downloading is remarkably faster than on my 350D.. probably due to the speed of the card.

The 700D is a definite upgrade from the 350D & would perhaps even recommend from the 400/450. If you have a 1000D this seems a logical step don't bother if you have a 600/650. Currently this is the best camera for a reduced body Canon and even holds-up well against the older models of the next series up (i.e. the 40D)
I really don't have any negatives to speak of at this price. If you want extras such as a heavier metal body or weatherproofing then you will have to pay for it (and carry it around!)
Out of interest I sold my 350D for £100 which I'll likely put towards a new lens, possibly the 40mm Pancake or a 15-85 IS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for amateur or pro alike!, 9 Sep 2013
UK Couple - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having only ever used bog standard 'instant' cameras in the past I was a bit nervous to try a 'professional' level camera kit, but I needn't have been as this camera has made the switch easy. For anyone like me who has only a basic grasp of camera there is an Auto mode which just like on an instant camera does everything for you, you can still just point and click. This is great for while you slowly learn how to use the pro features, and there are a lot of them on this camera! Having a viewfinder again is great as so many compact cameras lack them these days. The LCD screen tilts and swivels and is touch sensitive enabling you to touch exactly what you want to focus on, and even shoot the picture by touch. The whole camera and lens feels very sturdy and well made, and, for what it is, pretty light too, though it is obviously heavier than the compact instant camera I'm used to. Pictures are bright and crisp, and video is great, and the Auto Focus and Image Stabilisation do a great job. The supplied 'kit' lens has the the equivalent, roughly, of a 3.5x zoom lens on a compact camera, and the zoom is manually adjusted by turning part of the lens. The quiet motor in this new version lens is virtually silent and I couldn't hear anything on the video I recorded when it was focusing in and out. There are a lot of accessories available for this camera as well from different eye-cups for the viewfinder to lenses to battery grips and time-lapse controls (intervalometers). The supplied rechargeable battery last a decent amount of time and I get a lot of pictures plus several videos out of a single charge using both the viewfinder and the LCD display. As for the pro settings, well as a novice I can't say to much except there is a menu option for just about every conceivable thing you can imagine! Be it ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, White Balance, mirror Lock, Metering modes, focusing modes, it is all there, and very easy to adjust. The layout of the physical controls and on screen menus is ideal and all are easy to use. As an amateur there is really nothing I can fault about this camera! I was especially pleased to discover that the camera can be completely controlled by a computer via USB and Canon's software making things like stop motion animation a breeze.

I am looking forward to learning more about this camera in the coming months! Recommended for novices and pros alike!

Tips
====
I was able to photograph a remote controls Infrared light so the 700D should be able to take Infrared pictures if the conditions are right.

There are plenty of 3rd party add-ons available such as lens from Sigma and Tamron, batteries from Duracell and Energizer, varios makes of lens hoods, remote controls etc., so don't feel confined to just Canon makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon eos 700D, 12 April 2014
I have upgraded from a digital bridge camera. This is my first DSLR. I have used SLR cameras for 30 years. At the level of photography I need, I thought this was the perfect camera for me. I am very impressed with this camera. The sharpness of the auto focus system is amazing. It has a lot of creative modes as well. A little tip for anyone buying a lens for this camera is to remember it has a cropped sensor. This means your lenses are magnified by 1.5x. So a 35mm lens is equivalent to about 50mm. A 250mm lens is equal to about 400mm. This is good if you are shooting wildlife etc. Overall I would recommend this camera to everybody. You will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Canon EOS 700D Digital SLR Camera - Body only (18MP, CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I bought this camera as an upgrade for my 600d. There are some nice new features and overall I'd say it was a worthy purchase. The issue I had was it took 3 replacements to find a body that didn't have dead or stuck pixels. It would seem that pixel issues is endemic with digital slr cameras. But 2 of the 3 cameras I received had clusters of bad pixels. Amazon was excellent as usual but canon had little help to offer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enter, The Professional, 10 Aug 2014
J. Clarke "Alright Sally" (England) - See all my reviews
Origin
As the title suggests, this camera seems to find itself in the paradoxical bracket of 'entry level professional' - with a range of creative and quirky social designs (Touchscreen and in-camera editing) and high end technical specifications with a solid, robust build. Known, rather comically, in Japan as the 'Canon Kiss' (way to make it sound like a tacky piece of crap you just chuck in your handbag) and 'Canon Rebel' in America (bit immature) the 700D hit the market in the summer of 2013 for around the £750 mark - safe to say it seemed to be in a price range edging further towards more than a hobbyist bit of kit. A year later, the price would drop considerably to just over £500 (or under if you forgo the crappy lens). At my place of work, owning only a decrepit Canon 20D and a shockingly poor 'new' model - the Canon 1100D, the budget was finally loosed enough to acquire 2x of these bad boys, accompanied by a Canon EF 70-300mm and 24-105mm zoom lens'. One set up for timelapse work, the other donning the new lens' and taking all vital company documentation - way beyond the scope of an 'entry' level camera eh.
I've also used this camera and the aforementioned lens' to photograph and video a couple of friends parties - taking generic staged shots and capturing the moment and the nights highlights - uploading the images and editing them one by one is a real treat, finding the group photos, hilarious face pullings and few admittedly blurry, possibly drunk shots.

Tech Spec
A lot of people tend to believe it's all about the amount of mega-pixel's you're packing - in this case, 18MP - however those more accustomed to Digital SLR Camera's will need much more, so here goes:

Body
- Without a lens, it is severely chuckable - so lightweight its almost worth worrying about its legibility as a canon product. Most of the body is covered in a solid industrial resin feeling material (slightly rough) along with some rubberized, leather-like grip around the right hand area and left steadying part. You get a fairly standard shooting mode wheel (full 360 rotation this time) with the usual suspects (Programmed, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, Night Portrait, Sports, Close Up, Landscape, Portraits, Creative Auto, No-Flash and new addition - Scene Intelligent Auto). The Shutter button is well located and has good compression for delicate focusing, to taking the shot. On the left there's the sealed compartment for Mini USB, HDMI, Timelapse remote and Mic input jack. On the right side is the SD card slot and the bottom, the battery dock and tripod screw.

The Buttons are laid out in default positions, optimized for ease and speed - such as the ISO button, zoom in/out, menu & info, preview and delete. A pleasant addition is the removal of video from the mode dial and instead a further notch on the on/off switch - No more scrolling through) along with a button that acts as record for video mode and live preview in photo. There's the standard dial for exposure/ISO setting scrolling, up, down, left, right navigation and the well thought out dial for the short sighted, plus the same lens and flash release buttons. The top again, features a flash mount and two mics. Battery life is quite impressive - a 5 hour photoshoot of a party, in intensive surroundings (low light, strobe, noise, movement) - always on, gave it a run for its money (just).

Touchscreen
- Possibly the greatest part of the camera, the 3 inch LCD touchscreen is one handy little addition. Swipe photos left and right, select camera settings and press and hold to focus on set points or faces (yep it has face-recognition) and the real bonus being the swiveling rotations it can pull off - hidden so it faces the camera and remains clean for storage, facing outwards so you can check after shooting, opened up for shooting things high or low (so you can remain in place) or simply flip it over so the ones photographed can see the result or impending shot - oh gone then... you can do shameless selfies too...

Menu
- Boasts 11 different sections - 1. Custom Menu Layout 2.Software/Firmware Details 3.LCD Options + GPS 4. LCD Settings (Auto-Off, Brightness PAL/NTSC etc) 5. Formatting & Folders 6.Slideshows & Previews 7. File Management (delete, protection and filters) 8. Video Settings 9. ISO 10. Photo/Camera Settings 11. Image Quality & Corrections. All in the same layout as previous models so it's simple enough to navigate (the menu skips irrelevant sections when in a mode that doesn't require them). It's worth mentioning that the software that comes with the camera new features a very useful application called 'Digital Photo Professional' ideal for batch conversions of RAW to JPEG files... but little else.

Lens
- Easily the worst part of the package. Slow, stuttering auto-focus and sub-par quality images, the lens equipped feels cheap and chinsy as if found in a happy meal. It's only saving grace being the field of view. If you can find a body-only variant (and afford a better lens) I suggest you do so as the standard lens included is as bad as they come (the same can be said for most brands to be fair) - the camera will be just £30 cheaper without it - that says it all really.

Video
- Much smoother and stable compared to previous models but still struggles in low light conditions - expect some grain. Also finds recording difficult with zoom lens' in particular (trouble focusing, depth of field). You can choose from 4 recording sizes - 640 at 25 frames per second, 1280x50fps, 1920x24fps or 1920x25fps - personally I prefer a better frame-rate and for the 1280. Audio is average all things considered, then again there is that mic slot for improved sound as long as you have the equipment. Videos are saved as MOV files so unlike the Sony equivalent, you don't have to have a dedicated program to view them or the need to convert them for editing purposes.

Photo
- With a decent lens equipped, you'll be impressed. Depth of field being a real strong point and high clarity results. So clear and pristine, MASSIVE in file size, I had to shrink the examples of photos I've taken, just so they comply with Ciao's limitations. In comparison to later, cheaper models, the very sound of the shutter is instantly more gratifying and chunky sounding. Thanks to the plethora of in-camera effects and filters, images can be cleaned and perfected before you take them off the card, especially if you're shooting RAW (adjust levels, exposure, white balance etc). Red Eye can be dealt with also, as can altering light (you can set higher/lower exposures). Images themselves can be upwards of 10MB (on highest settings) and the RAW's twice that, so it's worth investing in a large SD card - 32GB will get you around 1000 shots.

Negatives
- Problems arise when in low light. For example, night time and disco settings render the auto-focus next to useless and you're sometimes better off going manual. Worst of all though is the flash - when all else fails, try and use it but for some unknown reason, the camera releases a short burst of about 4 quick flashes whilst focusing, before taking the shot - this can be extremely unpleasant as it not only tricks your audience into believe you've taken several photographs, so they relax/move, but it also acts as some kind of blinding, epileptic fit inducing strobe light - incredibly annoying. I can only assume it does this so it can get its bearings for focusing on a subject, as this is not a problem in manual. There's minimal changes from the previous model which is a bit lame to know too.

Outcome
If you go all out to make this your preferred camera, purchasing lens, spare batteries and such, you'd be looking at upwards of £1000 - that reminds me, I need to look into a flashgun... - Quite a steep but sturdy investment. Despite it's few faults, I foresee myself using this far into the future, hopefully via freelance photography (a few weddings lined up) my wait for a reliable SLR is over.

Recommendations?
- Buy manufacturer refurbished for a bargain.
- Forgo the lens kit and get body only.
- Find a spare battery.
- Get a zoom and or wide angle lens on there.
- If you'll use the video often, buy a tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars First DSLR, 6 Jan 2014
Review for Canon 700d with 18-135mm STM IS lens
I have slowly been getting into photography over a few years. I have owned a couple of Canon powershots and my last bridge camera was a canon SX40 which was a great bridge camera.
I have wanted a DSLR for years but I wanted to know more about photography before I took the plunge with such an expensive camera.
I decided on canon because I am familiar with the menu system and I think canon make quality products.
The reviews for the 700D were good and the 18-135mm STM lens also received good reviews.
I used Amazon.com reviews as well as youtube to make my decision. In the US the 700d is the T5i I used .com because the number of reviews is much higher.
The differences between the 650d and the 700d are tiny. A slight difference in the menu design and a slightly different dial on top. The 700d has an embossed dial and it can turn through 360 degrees...wow! That really is it so if you can get a 650d cheaper buy it. It is the same camera.
The camera feels good in the hand and the large lens makes the whole setup quite heavy but not nearly as heavy or bulky as the more expensive canons in the range.
The controls are easy to use once you get used to them and the touch screen is easy to use and I love the flip screen though i don't use it nearly as much as I did on my SX40. I think that this is because live view (through the screen not the viewfinder) feels wrong on a DSLR.
I get better pictures using the viewfinder.
The pictures I take are of friends and family mainly indoors and at this time of year so the light is often poor quality. The ability of the lens and the camera to find focus indoors quick enough to get the shot is great. I am getting loads of good pictures that I simply would never have got without a DSLR. This camera has 9 cross type focus points which means that it can focus quickly and it also has a clever flash function of a quick strobe before a shot in auto mode which increases the speed in which it can find focus. This is good and bad because I have yet to be able to turn it off in auto mode when I don't want it on.
I quickly left auto mode so that I could select the center focus point only which gives me greater control over the picture and composition. I use manual mode most of the time and let the camera decide most of the settings itself which are easily changed on the quick menus on the screen.
I am able to change settings really quickly which says a lot about the thought that has gone into developing this.
The pictures are fabulous but I am an amateur so I can't make comparisons with other DSLRs.
The lens I bought is a good all rounder with enough range to make it very useful in most situations. However every lens is a compromise as they all can't be great at everything.
The focusing motor (STM) is silent and I mean silent which is useful if you intend to use this for video as it would otherwise make for a noisy video.
The accessories that I have bought already (nearly all from ebay)
Are Neewar 560 flashgun for £27 off amazon.
Canon 50mm prime lens "Nifty 50" £71
Remote control. £4
Off camera flash trigger.£15
Collapsible light reflector. £6
Medium sized softbox for flash. £3
UV filters for both lens £1.50 each (to protect lens)
Rubber lens hoods which collapse for both lenses. £1.50 each.
Lens cleaning pen. £1.50
Two spare batteries £4 each
Lastly I can highly recommend this book which I find very useful. It has great videos and easy to understand sections for a beginner like me. I like his way of explaining things.
Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography
That is it so far as I already have a bag and tripod.
I will buy more things as and when I can afford/need them.
I have saved a lot of money by buying this stuff from Hong Kong and waiting three weeks for it. Some people insist on the best quality UV filters, batteries etc but I can't tell a difference so far and I don't have that sort of money anyway. I can always upgrade later.
The flash is the best thing that I have bought then the 50mm "Nifty 50" prime lens. (Prime means it can't zoom in or out it is a fixed focal length)
Both are fantastic and I really can't praise them enough.
The flash because it enables me to bounce flash (point at ceilings) and to have the ability to take good indoor pictures with low light. It does not have TTL (Auto power settings) though so I have to manually set it. You have to pay a lot more for TTL and many pros turn it off anyway.
The 50mm prime lens take great low light pictures as it has a wide aperture f1.8 (lower number is wider)It therefor focuses quickly as it is letting more light get to the sensor and it give great background blur or "Bokeh" because of its shallow depth of field.
Please check out reviews for this lens on you tube as it is a great buy for any canon.
I love this camera but I might have said the same thing if I had bought a nikon as this is my first DSLR it is a big step up in quality.
This camera take great pictures and I would look into what you want to use it for before you decide on what lens to buy with it.
The standard kit lens will do you just fine but you will want to expand after a while and I really want the 85mm prime which is great for portraits and Bokeh. Think carefully what you want to use it for because buying lens with the camera in a bundle can save you money.

4.0 out of 5 stars good quality and control for this price, 29 April 2014
What can I say, I don't think you'll find another DSLR of this quality for such a low price. Personally I prefer a fixed 50 mm lens ( which goes to f 1.8), but if you want this zoom as well, which is quite versatile, it's cheaper to buy this package and add on the 50 mm than to buy the body and both lenses separately. You have a wide range of lenses to add on, shooting in RAW, complete manual control by aperture or shutter speed, as well as manual- or auto-focus, yet a very good result on full automatic light settings. I don't think anyone but a professional photojournalist or portrait photographer will need more than this, and as I say, you'll have trouble matching this in any other brand for under £1,000.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera literally keeps me alive, 7 Oct 2013
This is first-rate SLR camera, and the touch screen is a great asset, as I recently suffered a severe stroke and my dexterity is now not so good. I find it much easier to adjust the settings without twiddling the small switches and buttons. Learning to handle the camera has transformed my life and is greatly helping in my recovery. My occupational therapists are full of praise for what this camera can do for people like me - it keeps me alive and interested in the world around me.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 17 April 2014
Must be one of the best things i have ever bought. I love it! Particularly like the rotating screen and 1080p video. Image quality is also superb. Only issue i had was when it first arrived the language was set to polish but no problem, just changed it.