5.0 out of 5 stars Folktronica Makes Good
Published 21 months ago by Syriat

1.0 out of 5 stars Album Good, Seller Bad
The album is great. I know because I listened to it on Spotify. This is because my package took about 3 weeks to arrive, and when it did, it wasn't 'Turbines'. It wasn't another Tunng record. Heck, it wasn't even an LP. I got a DVD movie about Americans being killed in Moscow. Good job.
Published 16 months ago by S. Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Folktronica Makes Good, 7 Aug. 2013
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Turbines (Audio CD)
Tunng's fifth album is a loose concept one based on a fictional village. Fear not....this will have no bearing at all on your experience listening to the album. What will is the melodies of the male/female lead singers, the electronic additions, slow build of numbers and something that seems to have taken Folktronica and evolved it even further. It spans old style folk but has catchy choruses, great layering of tracks and is a very complete and accomplished record.

By This builds out a slow guitar and fuzz into a warm hearted number that reminds you of late 60's folk music but sounds completely contemporary. Trip Trap swaggers in on electronics, dual vocals and acoustic guitar...but most importantly with a fat bass electronic underlying it that drives it forward. So Far From Here is a great build of a number and is one of a few that has percussion that sounds like it came out of the kitchen drawer, its quirky and somehow works. Follow, Follow is a slow build again with almost hushed vocals and electronics guiding it to the chorus which is blissful. However, as good as all of those numbers are good..and yes they are good...nothing compares to the opening track Once. A layered start with vocals breathing in this is how a track should be constructed, it gradually build into a chorus which is just beautiful. I was in a record store listening to this on one of their listening posts (yes such stores do still exist) and I was hooked, I didn't buy the album there and then but this track stuck in my head from three days. I can't quite remember when any track did that...its a long time that's for sure. I went back and bought it soon afterwards.

This may not sell well. This may not get a lot of attention. But it deserves to. Its possibly my favourite album so far this year, will definitely be on my end of year list. If you like your folk updated and like intelligently put together tracks that build then this is a discovery you should make.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Fifth Album, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Turbines (Audio CD)
This is the fifth album by Tunng, and although I'm not an expert on the other four, I think this is my favourite album so far. I've always been a fan of this breed of folk music, and this is an album I really enjoyed. The use of various electronic effects is as good as ever, and the percussion is really good on some of the tracks, such as on the opener 'Once' with it's slightly syncopated drum beat.
My favourite track from the album has to be 'So Far From Here'. From the gentle piano opening, it just builds into a great track, and I'm a huge fan of the jangly guitar that plays quietly in the background throughout the verses. Also, the use of bells and other various percussive instruments really adds to track as a whole.
This is a good album by a good band, and it's good to see that they haven't suffered from dreaded fifth album syndrome. It's a good album, if a little bit more laid back than some of there previous work. Sadly, I've got to wait until October until they come to Scotland, but it'll be worth the wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intricate Chillness, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Turbines [VINYL] (Audio CD)
I really like Tunng and i have heard them being described as "experimental folk music". I would say this is a pretty decent description when you listen closely to them. Their previous albums were verging on the experimental side quite a bit which I didn't find a bad thing. Turbines is a little more settled into a sound they are wanting to put forward on this record. If I was to do a comparison thing it would be probably be what would happen if Belle and Sebastien met Mum! Or there abouts! :) One track where this is most evident I would say is "Bloodlines". Quite whimsical but lyrics that draw you into to listening to everything that is being said.

Other standout tracks for me are "Trip Trap", "The Village" and "Embers".

The art work is the usual Tunng kind of thing, kaleidescope images. I have still never seen them live but after hearing this think it's something I will need to put right.

4.0 out of 5 stars That's more like it, 27 July 2013
M. Mckeown "Squelcher" (Anywhere but here) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turbines (Audio CD)
I was not a fan of 'And Then We Saw Land' (ok....I hated it and left a very negative reviews which none of the avid tribe of Tunngites took kindly to). This album is not 'dramatically different' to their previous oeuvre as the Amazon biography professes. I have followed Tunng since 2005 and with the exception of the misstep I have alluded to their output has been of a high quality. With this new offering I hear shades of Stereolab, Broadcast and maybe even a smidgen of Captain - and there is very effective use of boy/girl call and response vocals. I am pleased to report this album is a real grower and as the majority of popular music heads down the toilet there is at least one band I can rely on. Thanks Tunng.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album. Skilled Melodies & Harmonies..Love It!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Turbines (MP3 Download)
My favourite Tunng album so far. Lovely melodies and harmonies with a cohesive but varied theme to the sound. A real pleasure..highly reccomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 20 Sept. 2013
M. Craske "renaissance man" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turbines (Audio CD)
I wish I had encountered Tunng years ago when they started out.
This is great music of the electro/folk/psychedelic flavour that I love to relax to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good bit of Tunng, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Turbines (Audio CD)
Best album of the year so far. A fantastic piece of work and a real continuation of form from the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars MYSICAL MAGIC RIDE OF FOLK ROCK AT ITS BEST, 23 July 2013
IF YOU WERE OR ARE INTERESTED IN FOLK ROCK MUSIC OF ANY PERIOD
ESPECIALLY OF THE LATE SIXIES EARLY SEVENTIES PRO FOLK ROCK THEN
LOOK NO FURTHER

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, beautiful, their best., 19 July 2013
This review is from: Turbines (Audio CD)
An astonishing mix of musical skills - guitars, voices, synthesiser - creating a playful (though sometimes sombre) world of sound. 'Turbines' roll!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thumbs up from me then!, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Turbines (MP3 Download)
Dyed in the wool fan so it has to be a thumbs up. Never better 'Good Arrows' though.

Turbines
Turbines by Tunng (Audio CD - 2013)