Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£4.99

on 24 June 2013
I've been keen to listen to Tom Odell' debut album since he won the Critics' Choice award at the BRIT Awards. The wait was worth it, as this is a good album, with some great tracks. Such is the strength of this album that you could imagine any of these songs being played on the radio.
The opening track 'Grow Old With Me' is very typical of the feel that is being portrayed on the album, which is a soulful ballad with a lovely piano obbligato. The way Odell combines all the different elements of the tracks together shows a lot of musical ability. I'm especially impressed by the way he changes volume, and uses that, and the softening of his voice to sing more tenders parts, such as on 'Hold Me'.
My favourite track is 'I Know'. I think this track has the best piano accompaniment, although maybe that's only because 'Another Love' has received a bit of radio play so I'm perhaps overlooking it. I don't think that there is a track on this album that is especially weak, although they are all very similar for me. I would have liked to have heard a couple of different ideas maybe, or perhaps a bit more instrumentation, but nevertheless it's a very accomplished debut album.
It's a bit hard to think that he's 22 and has released an album of this quality. It makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life. I'm hoping that as he ages his music keeps getting better, as this is a great place to start.
88 comments55 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2015
Thomas Peter Odell is an English singer-songwriter. He won the BRIT’s Critics' Choice Award in early 2013. This debut studio album ‘Long Way Down’ was issued in June 2013 and reached No. 1 in the UK Official Chart. Odell was named 'songwriter of the year' at the prestigious 2014 Ivor Novello Awards ceremony.

Odell’s song, a cover of The Beatles “Real Love", was the audio track to the 2014 John Lewis Christmas advertising campaign and gained him instant publicity and is how I discovered him. Within hours of the advert being aired for the first time, the track reached the top of the music recognition service trending list. Within three days of release, it went straight to 21 in the UK top 40, peaking at no 7. But sadly it is not included here.

This is a very good debut album, with some great tracks. The opening track 'Grow Old with Me' is for me the best track on the album, but it is also very typical of the feel on the album, which is deep soulful ballad with a lovely piano obbligato.

I would have liked to have heard a couple of different ideas and perhaps a bit more instrumentation, but nevertheless it's a very mature and accomplished album from this 22 year old. I’m sure there will be even better to come.
on 7 September 2014
Got this album after hearing Grow old with me, the rest of the album is a very similar tone and all songs are just as good.
on 6 December 2014
Tom Odell's vinyl is so fantastic - it sounds like he is in the same room as me! Good delivery and well packaged. :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 July 2013
After hearing a few tracks by Tom Odell on Spotify, I was impressed enough to buy his debut album 'Long Way Down'.

Clearly influenced by bands such as Coldplay, I think this is a very accomplished debut from a very talented young musician. Tom, winner of the Critics' Choice award at the BRIT Awards is a very good singer[songwriter, and haunting tracks like 'Another Love', 'I Know' and 'Grow Old With Me' are my personal favourites, although there isn't a particular 'bad' song that I can hear on this record. Tom has a very distinctive voice, which works well on the tunes about lost love, where he pours his heart out with so much emotion, pain, and sincerity.

So far, some rather spiteful reviews have been published on this Amazon page, but no one ever forces people to listen to music they don't want to. Personally, I think Tom is a very talented musician, considering his young age of 22, and the fact that this is his first album - I was very impressed. This is good easy listening music, accompanied by his piano, and I would definitely buy a second album.

The deluxe edition, which contains five extra tracks, including the demo versions of the tracks 'Til I Lost' and 'Grow Old With Me', is available here: Long Way Down (Deluxe).

A soulful and refreshing album!
on 24 October 2014
Downloaded this album by mistake. Listened and loved it. Went on to buy tickets in may
on 13 January 2016
Regardless of liking it or not (we all have our opinion) my complaint actually goes to the low quality of the recording. Flat and metallic sound, no body at all, sounds like it was recorded in his kitchen, fcol.
I can record better sound with my phone - even the songs on youtube sound better than this album.
Not worth as much as a pound for that reason.
on 27 July 2015
LOVE this cd; not my typical music type - more into rock and metal - but heard one of his songs and I really liked it; this cd is my guilty weakness. Not what I was expecting at all from a young person playing the piano, very catchy and heartfelt. Get this cd, you wont be disappointed!
on 1 June 2014
A lot of music critics where giving this great reviews so I purchased being curious and wanting to expand the musicians that I llisten to!
Not impressed on first listening but gave it a few more plays and it begins to grow on the listener. someone to watch for the future
on 20 April 2015
What a talented, original young chap. It's fantastic that this new wave of proper UK original songwriters has come along (and has become popular), instead of that wave of popular manufactured dirge (with admitted exceptions) we had to put up with in the naughties.