4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Accomplished Debut
I've been keen to listen to Tom Odell' debut album since he won the Critics' Choice award at the BRIT Awards. The wait was worth it, as this is a good album, with some great tracks. Such is the strength of this album that you could imagine any of these songs being played on the radio.
Published 20 months ago by Sprootie

2.0 out of 5 stars Down There, Not Out There
Published 7 days ago by Mr. Iain R. Wear

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Accomplished Debut, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
The opening track 'Grow Old With Me' is very typical of the feel that is being portrayed on the album, which is a soulful ballad with a lovely piano obbligato. The way Odell combines all the different elements of the tracks together shows a lot of musical ability. I'm especially impressed by the way he changes volume, and uses that, and the softening of his voice to sing more tenders parts, such as on 'Hold Me'.
My favourite track is 'I Know'. I think this track has the best piano accompaniment, although maybe that's only because 'Another Love' has received a bit of radio play so I'm perhaps overlooking it. I don't think that there is a track on this album that is especially weak, although they are all very similar for me. I would have liked to have heard a couple of different ideas maybe, or perhaps a bit more instrumentation, but nevertheless it's a very accomplished debut album.
It's a bit hard to think that he's 22 and has released an album of this quality. It makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life. I'm hoping that as he ages his music keeps getting better, as this is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Way Down [Amazon Exclusive Signed Version], 26 Mar. 2014
Mr. Beaumont - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I first heard Tom Odell in the radio and didn't really like him tbh. But my local radio station seem to love him as they had his music on all the time. But after a few weeks i really started to enjoy his music. Ended up buying his album and played it none stop. So when Amazon was selling "Long Way Down [Amazon Exclusive Signed Version]" for £5.99 I jumped at the chance to own it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Down There, Not Out There, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
Following the huge success of Jake Bugg in 2012, there is another new, young, British singer-songwriter on the scene. Like Bugg, Tom Odell's debut album "Long Way Down" reached the top of the UK album chart, but there the similarities end. Whilst there are obvious musical differences, given that Bugg is a guitarist and Odell plays piano, their career paths have also followed quite different routes.

For one thing, Jake Bugg was allowed to come from virtual obscurity with few expectations upon him. Odeall, on the other hand, was the recipient of the BRITs Critics' Choice award in 2013, several months before the release of his debut album. This raises expectations, not least because 3 of the 5 previous winners of that award have subsequently gone on to win a BRIT award for the Best British Album. So, no pressure, then. Critical reception to their debut albums was also vastly different, with a 0 out of 10 review for Odell's album from NME prompting an angry phone call from his father. By contrast, the NME scored Bugg's debut album 9 out of 10.

It's not that "Long Way Down" is a bad album, it's just completely devoid of anything to hold a listener's interest. There's little variation either between or within the songs and many of them blend into each other. If you were to play a Tom Odell song to someone, they would be hard pushed to tell which one it was without significant clues. There is nothing here that excited me and, as a whole, the album was so middle of the road it was in danger of being hit by a truck. I can't remember the last time an entire album failed to move me as completely as this one does.

For an album that runs for only 35 minutes over 10 tracks, this wouldn't represent great value even if the album were far better than it is. In buying this, you're taking a chance on something that really isn't good enough to be worth playing more than once. I've played it over and over hoping that it was going to be an album that would grow on me and, many plays later, I've discovered that I should have stopped after that first play, because it doesn't improve with repeated listens.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Album, 4 Dec. 2014
Mrs. Sharon L. Rowse (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
I love this album, it has some gorgeous slow songs and some great upbeat songs. A winner and is constantly in my car. Well done Tom, can't wait for the next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars I you like Grow Old with Me, get this album., 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
Got this album after hearing Grow old with me, the rest of the album is a very similar tone and all songs are just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Long Way Down [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Tom Odell's vinyl is so fantastic - it sounds like he is in the same room as me! Good delivery and well packaged. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid debut!, 13 July 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
After hearing a few tracks by Tom Odell on Spotify, I was impressed enough to buy his debut album 'Long Way Down'.

Clearly influenced by bands such as Coldplay, I think this is a VERY good debut from a very talented young musician. Tom is a good songwriter, and haunting tracks like 'Another Love', 'I Know' and 'Grow Old With Me' are my personal favourites, although there isn't a particular 'bad' song that I can hear on this album. Tom has a very distinctive voice, which works well on the tunes about lost love, where he sings his heart out with so much emotion.

So far, some rather spiteful reviews have been published on here, but no one ever forces people to listen to music they don't want to. Personally, I think Tom is a very talented musician, considering his young age of 22, and the fact that this is his first album - I was very impressed. This is good easy listening music, and I would definitely buy a second album.

Soulful and refreshing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of 2013, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Long Way Down [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Downloaded this album by mistake. Listened and loved it. Went on to buy tickets in may

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
listen to it all the time, my boyfriend played it me , and i was sold..ha

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening CD, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Long Way Down (Audio CD)
A good cd to relax to. In my opinion he is good, but nothing outstanding when it comes to content of the album.

Long Way Down [Explicit]