5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada Review, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada (Volume 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent and thoroughly well written book. The plot is interesting and captivating yet also a light hearted read ,which is always a welcome treat. There are a variety of very believable characters all of whom have their own personality, which shines through even in the most minor of characters making it easy to imagine yourself there among the characters as you're reading it.
I don't usually read this genre and it is the first ebook I have ever read, so I am glad I made the decision to try something different. I think the best thing about this book is that it can be enjoyed wholly by anyone; men or women, younger or older readers.
I finished it very quickly and I can't wait for Dire Kraken to be released as I'm really interested in seeing how the story and characters evolve. I'm sure we can expect many more brilliant things from this author.
Overall Verdict: An excellent light hearted read, the only thing I would say is lacking is that I would love a hard copy of it (I'm still a lover of paper books).

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of humour and action, 6 Mar 2014
"You've met these two clowns, right? Reuben Evans, and Glim Peters. He pointed at each in turn, and the two men pulled cheesy grins. Peters even crossed his eyes. "What names, eh."

"Says Mikhail," Peters called. "Who names their kid Mikhail?"

"Ignore him," Michail said to Francis. "He's still sore his parents misspelled their feelings at having bore him as a child."

"What's that then?"

"Glum."

This word-play made me giggle. "Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada" has plenty of humour, plenty of action and a character who seems puffed up with his own importance, to say the least. Rhod Stein is always in the right and he can pretty much do what he wishes. Having had full control of his skyport - floating city - he seems to think that all he encounters will fall in with his plans. Not so.

Poor old Francis Paige is just not having a good day. Being kidnapped from down on earth, taken up into a floating city from which he might fall, ripped from his kidnapper and then chased and shot at is not something he is used to from home.

For having been through what he has, I think Francis pulled himself together quite well. I'm kind of like him. For a time I will bemoan whatever new thing it is that fate has thrown at me. Then I get sick of myself and get on with life as best I can. Francis' experiences are a bit more extreme than any I have ever experienced. So I feel he deserves a few days to pull himself together.

In his need he finds support with Natasha Brady (the ship's navigator and possibly the ship's talk-to person). Natasha is the kind of person that listens and is able to see past angry and fearful expressions. Would that I could always do that. She is exactly what Francis needs to conquer his fears - quite understandable ones for a land-dweller.

We don't get a whole lot of world-building, but there is some. The "Ruby Celeste" series is supposed to be a steam-punk universe. But it is not one with a great amount of technical explanations. There are a couple of unusual aspects to it. One of those is that the sky-vessel is powered by something called a Volum.

Like our "household" animals these Volums have been bred to serve the purpose humans want it for. At first I thought that the Volum must be in some sort of slave relationship to humans, but it seems the ones bred for the purpose are content as long as they are fed. I wonder if they have some effect on humans. Benjamin Thoroughgood seemed intensely interested in being with the creature, but whether that was "normal" for any person exposed to a Volum over time or if it was some character trait of Benjamin is impossible to say.

Ruby Celeste was the fourth character that was obvious in the novel. The Volum wasn't. I just became interested in what it was. Ruby is what I would call a person who draws the attention of others. She isn't physically intimidating, but that does not stop Ruby from being intimidating when she turns on her engines. Impulsive and stubborn are two words that fit her well. I am very stubborn myself but not exactly impulsive. I am, however, blessed with a son who is and that has brought a great many interesting experiences into my life - as any one who is associated with an impulsive person can attest to. Ruby has one quality that I treasure. She is able to admit when she is wrong and actually apologizes. Being the Captain does not stop her from "eating humble pie". I both like her and am frustrated by her.

After reading book number one of the "Ruby Celeste" universe, I would have to say that I had fun reading it and loved the action and humour present.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid romp through the skies., 7 Feb 2014
This is a top-notch book with a tight plot and superb characters.

If the other books in the series are half as enjoyable as this, I predict that the Ruby Celeste series will become classics in both the fantasy & steampunk genres.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 April 2013
This is a brilliant story set in a captivating universe. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and cannot wait for the next one to come out! I highly recommend you read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good gripping tale, 6 Oct 2013
This is the first fantasy book that I've ever read and can honestly say that it's one of the best books that I've read in a while. Nick has surely done himself proud on his first book and I cannot wait to read the next one... YOU MUST READ! Lol

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 15 Mar 2014
T. Dar (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
A great idea with a decent array of characters, a wonderful setting and an easy-to-follow (if somewhat Hollywood) plot.

Not perfect, but certainly worth a look for any steampunk fan (or indeed any pirate/adventure fan) at this bargain price. May well take a look at some of the sequels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected treat!, 10 Feb 2014
This book was unexpectedly good! I downloaded it on the recommendation of others but I'm really glad I did. This was an enjoyable, pacey read and I will definitely be buying the next in the series.

This is a real departure from my usual reading genres, but I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone in that regard!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 6 Oct 2013
S.P.P (Ipswich, England) - See all my reviews
What can I say? The 1st Ruby Celeste novel is a fantastic read and a brilliant start to what I'm sure is going to be an amazing series. Ambrose has created a captivating universe with its own mythos in the same expert way as other authors like George R.R. Martin and J.K Rowling.

If you're getting this on Kindle, it's free, which for something like this is an absolute steal. I look forward to starting the next book in the series as well as picking up the spin-off novel (The Final Flight of Castle Adeline) which promises to extend and elaborate upon this dangerous, exciting and thrilling world that Ambrose has crafted and introduced in 'Ghost Armada.'

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars RUBY CELESTE and the GHOST ARMADA, 26 Aug 2013
This is a well written and imaginative book and the authors insight into the complexities of human nature is commendable. His imagination has us transported to a dimension in which Ruby Celeste, her crew and their futuristic ship really do exist and we live their adventures with them. I could not put this book down and am now about to start on the second book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada! :), 14 Aug 2013
So today for an hour and 45 minutes of my time (I'm a pretty fast reader) I read the first ever book in the Ruby Celeste series. And what a fantastic book!So fantastic in fact that I wasn't distracted by anything else (T.v/ computer etc). I couldn't put it down and I'm thoroughly looking forward to buying and reading the next books in the series. Now I'm not usually a fan of these genres of book but this one has changed my mind. It's defiantly one I'll be reading again.
Now to end the review: a massive well done Nick! :)

Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada (Volume 1)
0.00