5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book
Published 15 months ago by Mrs

It is a good book. It explains the way a psychopath is thinking and how a person can get tangled up into this type of relationships. It gives lots of answers about their behavior and explains how they are hooking up their victims into the cycle. What I really loved was the explanation of the psychopath's behavior after a break up. It was spot on.
It had some alright...
Published 11 months ago by marthamaria

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, 13 May 2013
Mrs (Norwich, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, & Other Toxic People (Kindle Edition)
I haven't left a review before despite owning a mini library, but felt I had to regarding this book, After suffering from what I now know was Narcissistic abuse for 10 years this book is becoming a Life Saver for me. It is written with knowledge of abuse caused by Psychopaths/Narcissists and other emotional abusers. It not only explains the actions of these abusers and why they do what they do but is helping me to understand myself so much more and to grow from what could of been a life destroying time.
There is much written about physical abuse so it is great to have found a book written for those of us who have been or are being emotionally abused.
So if you are struggling with understanding the complex range of emotions that are felt during a break up or feel you need to understand what is happening in your relationship this book is defiantly worth a read
CanaryGirl

5.0 out of 5 stars this will sort your head out, 3 Nov 2013
I've read dozens, probably all, the books on narcissism, but I missed this one because I wasn't searching for 'psychopath' even though that's what I called my ex.
When this little book arrived I wanted to hate it: obviously self-published with a thin curling cover & low-quality graphic of a caged bird flying free, and written under the hippy pseudonym of 'Peace'.

However, it is right on the money, a brilliant little book that will sort your head out if you've been tangled up with a narcissist, sociopath or psychopath, whatever you want to call them. Those people who twist everything you say, who lie to your face without blushing, who belittle & insult you then claim THEY'RE the victim. All those nasty little mind games they play, they're right here.

It's written very well, only the odd typo (sorry, I'm a proofreader) and is mercifully free of annoying prose. It's down-to-earth, practical, BS free. It explains how your relationship started out like a fairytale: s/he showered you with compliments & praise, lavished gifts on you, called you the best thing that ever happened to them, called you 'soulmate' after just a few weeks. Then things start to go wrong, and you find s/he is insulting you, winding you up, being mean, flirting with their ex on social media. They break up with you, and while you are left heartbroken & confused, they're already in another relationship, and it's being flaunted right in your face (on faceb00k).
"Peace" explains that this was all a set-up, it was all staged, deliberately to ensnare you, make you fall in love, and then dump you. It's a game to the controller, they never did care for you, and they don't care for their other exes or their next partner (victim) either.

You didn't get caught out because you're stupid or because you're a masochist: you got caught because you're a caring kind person who tries to see the best in people. Because you would never treat someone so badly, you fail to recognise or believe it when someone does it to you: you forgive them, you give them another chance, you believe them when they say "it'll never happen again". Later on, when they really start to gaslight & crazymake you, you'll think you're going mad. They will TELL you you're going mad, imagining things, being paranoid, crazy. They will accuse you of being the things they are being: nasty, lying, abusive. They will shout at you and then say they never shouted, YOU were shouting. They will deny saying or doing things that you know darn sure they did, and they will convince you that YOU said or did those things. They are that manipulative & devious & unpleasant.

Your friends & family won't believe you because they always see the good (false) side of the abuser, who turns on the charm like a tap (faucet).

This book shows you the red flags that you missed or dismissed, it explains why nobody ever believes you when you say what your partner does in private, and why you "don't just leave".
Once you retrain yourself NOT to give these people a 2nd, 3rd or 10th chance, you are well on your way to avoiding being caught out time after time after time. You can break the cycle.

This one stays on my bookshelf with the work of Lundy Bancroft & Patricia Evans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 April 2013
This book is simple and easy to read and straight to the point. It's helped me understand whats happened and to protect myself for the future. Everyone needs this book and to learn about psychopaths how they ruining lives of people, it's until we know what they are and what they do that we can protect ourselfs. Brilliant book!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 19 April 2013
A brilliant read, not finished yet but still absolutely love it, if you have just left abusive relationship this book will help you get your mind back! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all victims of psychopaths., 5 Jan 2014
Recovery begins with nailing what your abuser is, especially when he is a psychopath and this book will help you see that, if indeed your abuser is one. Everything in this book is bang on. It will hurt in parts but it will name what you are dealing with, validate your experiences (when likely no one close to you personally can), and it will show you you had no chance against this twisted mind, so stop beating yourself up about where you went wrong.

I became the victim of a psychopath in 2010. I was one of the ones who smelled a rather toxic rat and broke things off. Sure enough, 3 years and counting I am still being stalked, terrorised, harrassed, my car is vandalised (resulting in massive car crash through an electricity pylon which I am lucky to survive), my movements constantly monitored on and offline. Yes I agree with this book my stalker took turns to drive me to suicide or provoke/goad me to get back in touch with him (this wasn't because he wanted me to come back to him. He was setting me up as all psychopaths do. He was desperate to tell me he was married now and really really really happy.

My psychopath is a callous sadistic stalker, voyeur, pervert and major criminal who enjoys his freedom when he should most certainly be in prison. He is a very dangerous man wrapped up in a bumbling english country gentleman persona, 'what me, why I couldn't even hurt a fly'. He will not only hurt a fly but you, your friends and even your children if it frightens you. His persona is drivel but it is a persona that fools a lot of people. I am paying a high price for sussing him out. This psychopath has done everything, just short of murdering me ( I hope I do not speak too prophetically) though he has goaded me to kill myself and as I say tampered with my car which many times could have resulted in my death.

This book covers all of this. This is what psychopaths do and they don't just do it to you. If you are persecuted by them it's because you are stronger than them. In a way it's a compliment. They can't ever have the women they really want because the women they really want will always suss them out so they they have to settle and when they settle and feel entirely unsatisfied in their 'settled' relationship, they boil with anger inside and take it out on the women they couldn't have/keep. YOU!

THIS BOOK IS ESSENTIAL READING to begin the process of stopping your mind going over and over and over and over again why it's your fault. What on earth did you do? You must have treated him very badly indeed. You must be a very bad person to attract such awfulness into your life. If only you knew what you had done so you could fix it. Read this book. Forget fixing a monster and concentrate on fixing yourself. Get some validation. No one else except other victims can give you that. So start by getting some from this book. You must firmly root in your mind that these people are inhuman. Inhuman. Completely and utterly inhuman to an extent you will find difficult to believe because you are so entirely human.

I remember telling my psycho about a historical TV documentary I watched where scientists had performed cruel experiments on babies. The programme disturbed me and I described one of the dreadful experiments that was performed on a baby boy to my psycho stalker. Instead of being as disturbed as I was he laughed and began to act out how the baby must of looked during the experiment. My blood ran cold. I didn't understand back then what I was dealing with. I do now. A monster.

If you are a victim of a psychopath take heart. Read this book over and over. Get some validation for your experiences. Be amazed at how precisely right it is in every way. And firmly root in your mind that they are inhuman. Stop endowing them with normal human qualities. They don't have any. This is what makes you better than them. No matter how it feels, no matter who they are, they are not better than you. Don't believe it when they stop at nothing to brainwash you into thinking that they are superior to you. They are not. They know they are not. That's why they have to work so hard convincing you you are worthless. TOXIC!!! Read this book. It might hurt a bit in parts, but in the end you'll just feel so validated when you do. Eventually you will stop thinking about them in ways that hurt you, you will start to get angry, then you will feel repulsed by them and then finally indifferent to them. I'm not entirely indifferent yet because i maintain a constant dialogue with the police because of the stalking but I am repulsed and certainly harbour not a shred of warm feeling for him, no matter how rosy it seemed at times in the past. Thank god.

The bits about this book I suggest heeding most are the bits about looking after yourself. Treat yourself kindly. Look after yourself mentally, physically spiritually and really do apply the rules of no contact which are most vital. I wish I had had more strength during the worst times.

This has without doubt been the worst period of my life and it has spoiled a substantial portion of my children's young life too. I don't know how I would have coped had I not found resources such as this book to illuminate the minds of these heinous people terrorists.

5.0 out of 5 stars very accurate, 30 Jun 2013
Very comforting yet informative. Helps you recognise early signs of abuse, reassures you to trust your instincts. I got out quick thankfully thanks to my mum and the support of police. It makes you realise how calculated their actions and behaviour is AND that its THEIR behaviour thats abusive despite all their projections and covert bullying arsenal.

Thank you for making me Psychopath Free.xx

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 31 May 2013
This book gives you an excellent insight into the techniques used by a sociopath. It finally makes sense about why you fell in love and why you were then so unhappy. Very clear, logical and healing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 13 May 2013
I never understood why or how I got caught up in a emotionally abusive relationship, I always felt I was doing something wrong and never even realise I was caught up in his tactics until I read this book, its like a breath of fresh air to realise that it was not all my fault. I do recommend this book do anyone who is going through or has been through an emotionally abusive relationship. It is so helpful and makes you realise so quickly that you are not to blame.

3.0 out of 5 stars three quarters of the book excellent. Some parts were a complete fail, 1 Sep 2013
It had some alright advice on how to emotionally detach. They wouldn't work for me. They could apply on the average woman.
I think that the part of convincing us that we are not psychopaths was a fail. If I judge from my answers to her questions then I have to conclude that I am tending to be slightly on the sociopath side and I know for a fact that I am not a sociopath.
Good read though. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the future instead of fearing it, 3 May 2013
I got out of a toxic relationship a year ago, I wish I'd had this book then. I was a year on and in some ways was feeling worse than ever. I hated feeling like a 'victim' and wondered where the strong person who used to be me had gone.

I had read info on sociopaths/psychopaths but this book was the final bit of the jigsaw for me. I did not expect the author to have gone through almost exactly the same as me, down to the same sentences the ex used. It explained why I felt crazy at times, the strategies that were used on me, and how I can really let go.

People in my life wanted to help me but they just didn't get what I was going through, having only been through 'normal' breakups themselves. I thought I was damaged for good, unable to trust or love again, but this book has made me realize that this sort of thing happens for a reason, and ultimately I will be a happier, stronger more compassionate person because of it.

Cannot recommend this highly enough, especially if you feel like you are 'stuck' in recovery. Just knowing people went through the exact same emotions as me has helped me more than I could have imagined. Now I know I am not damaged, I still have the same opportunities and chances in life as everybody else, and more importantly, I deserve to be happy.

Thanks so much to the author, this book really has saved me.

Update 27/03/14

Just wanted to add that this book was a vital tool in my path to recovery, but I only recently began tapping/EFT and have managed to rid myself of a lot of negative feelings about myself and the Ex (sociopath). I highly recommend 'The Tapping Solution' by Nick Ortner, it has made all the difference and I do not think about what happened to me anywhere near as much, and if I do it is not upsetting. I think the psychopath-free website mentions EFT as a good tool to use. Best wishes x