Format: Vinyl|Change

on 10 February 2014
Of course this is all a matter of opinion, but I didn't think there was a lot to this album. Droning guitar just strumming open strings with reverb didn't catch my attention. Same goes for the vocals and lyrics. The mix didn't help and just made the whole thing sound flat and dull. It just didn't engage me at all and the songs didn't really range in style. There might be some potential, let's see what they do next.
on 27 August 2013
What a debut! Raw, powerful, lyrically sharp and sonically gripping, this is an album you cannot ignore. The guitar work in particular stands out and wouldn't be a miss on a Sonic Youth record - both intricate and growling at once. The best rock record for years.
And if you get chance, go see them live, it really is something to behold.
on 18 May 2013
Definitely a unique sound and with a myriad of influences from all over the spectrum...Dead Kennedy's, early Offspring and Elastica to name a few.

If you're open to a proper, raw, belting Indie sound then have a listen. If you prefer canned, manufactured music, then you might want to give it a miss.
on 17 May 2013
My original review was definitely a little tainted by the initial excitement of hearing such a great new album so I thought I would revise it to reflect a more 'mature' opinion. Which is a little sad, because Savages should have the opposite effect. They should make you stand up and start jumping around like a monkey on meth. I am by no means a teenager but a band like this has the capability to make me feel like one, with that old excitement and joy of discovery. And what else should we expect from music?

Reading through these reviews, I think too many people are focused on who they sound like. I say, so freaking what if they resemble bands from the distant past! Doesn't everyone sound like someone else when it comes down to it? Everything is derivative. No matter how much they wear their influences on their sleeve, Savages still have that rare magic, they are holders of the fire. And that is what I admire about this record. It's just fantastic to hear a band that has sprung fully formed onto the scene. I think the only problem they will have is following this fantastic record with something equally mind-blowing. Even if they fail, it will no doubt be worth a listen. I, for one, will definitely be lending an ear.
on 2 July 2013
Just can't stop playing this album, not a bad track on it, wish the band every success & look forward to seeing them perform live. Personal favourite track is "Waiting for a sign" amazing tune!
on 8 May 2013
Take the required measurement of Scream era Siouxsie, add a bit of Au Pair, Xmal, Slit, Lydia then add a slight smidgeon of male (Wire, Joy Division, PIL) and then, hey presto, you have Savages' Silence Yourself. But, careful, this is no tame act of nostalgia as Savages have the kind chops and understanding of light and shade that surely makes them one of the best all female bands for a long long time. Hell, if Silence Yourself was written by an all male band I'd be scratching my head wondering what planet it had come from so utterley different does much of it sound and confrontational does it feel. Cassevetes is referenced. The last band to reference him was Fugazi. That's about right. Attitude. Passion. Confrontation. Silence Yourself is really great.
on 22 July 2013
At last a new band to add to the genre. It may be a bit revivalist (definite traces of Siouxsie / Joy Div in there) but it sounds fresh and invigorating too. Love the sleevenotes!
on 4 November 2013
I suggest you ignore the derivative of this and that type review and enjoy a classic album. It's fierce and fine for it. Side B is my favourite.
on 27 March 2016
GREATEST DEBUT ALBUM SINCE SIOUSXIES THE SCREAM
GREAT VOCALS AND ENERGY FROM THIS BAND
PLAY LOUD ON YOUR HEADPHONES
10/10
on 24 June 2015
Urgent and authentic. This is a real grower. Genuinely good albums can be so hard to find these days. So pleased I found this one