Format: DVD|Change

on 18 August 2012
I saw this movie at the local filmfestival. A last minute deciscion (one I did not regret); I got drawn in by the trailer for this movie. I like movies with a twist; that make me uncomfortable; I love movies that suck you in. It's slow paced; it is; it has this creepy feel to it throughout, unsettling; it is also well acted and well directed ... it gave me the chills; several times (especially the scene where they break into the house; and get caught by the owner); it's in my top 20 of alltime favourite movies. It's also very convincing; that is very important to me. And the open ending is just superb. A must see for everybody who likes something different and twisted.
on 27 April 2014
The concept of this film was good, It just never really went anywhere. I continued watching hoping all would become clear. I felt I never learn't enough about any of the characters to become invested in them. I felt this film had a lot of promise but failed to deliver, shame as the acting was good.
on 31 October 2015
Creepy, tense, fantastically acted film.
on 1 February 2016
Intense and interesting. Recommeded.
on 3 April 2014
Disorienting. Confusing. Heartbreaking. A film not to be missed, this brainy indie thriller leave you with an unsettling chill for several days.
on 1 April 2014
An excellent debut by Sean Durkin. It is remarkably well directed and features incredible performances from all of the cast.
on 24 January 2013
I can understand why some have review this film poorly, it does have a very slow and quite pace but this all lends itself to the growing sense of dread the film gradually creates. The performances are outstanding and it is shot beautifully. You have to sit down and watch the film with no interruptions (I saw it in the cinema) as you don't want to spoil the constant building of tension. I was gripped throughout and think this is one of, if not the best and most terrifying film of 2012.
on 21 August 2013
"Martha Marcy May Marlene" or 4M, as I shall henceforth refer to it, starts innocently enough - a young girl seems to be living a simple life in some sort of quasi-Amish agrarian commune in the Catskill's that might seem a bit odd to the casual observer but not really much more odd than, for example, the actual Amish might to the average 21st Century Westerner. But then our protagonist, who we come to think of as Martha, Marcy May or Marlene depending on the context, makes a break. She literally escapes the commune. What's going on?

Martha, an entirely convincing and scarily good Elizabeth Olsen, is quickly rescued by her estranged sister and from there two stories are told in parallel: Martha's struggle to adapt to conventional life and, in flashback, her time in the commune as Marcy May (and, on the phone, Marlene). And it's those flashbacks that make this film so effective, the way the story is delicately paid out. As you might expect, bad things happened in the commune. Very bad things indeed. I won't spoil the film for you here with any more detail than that, but what I will say is this. I like an FX-laden adventure fest as much as the next man. But I also love films that deliver a story at a slower pace, letting the viewer interpret without jump-cuts and excessive dialogue being imposed. 4M is just one such film - it tells a difficult story in its own way, at its own pace, and is all the better for it. Oh, and Elizabeth Olsen is nothing short of a revelation, giving a powerhouse performance - no mean feat, especially considering that she is on-screen for just about the whole time.

And the ending caught me on the hop, which can only be a good thing.

4M is my film of 2012, for what that's worth!
on 17 August 2014
Gift for film buff - loved it
on 14 May 2016