on 18 July 2015
Let me say that im not the biggest GP fan so the following rant is in no way cos im an uber fan. Until now i havent had much interest at all in her work or films. However, There are an awful lot of people reviewing this book and complaining about it being Americanised and contains hard to get ingredients which i think is just born from british laziness (yes im british). firstly can i point out that eating healthy like this takes time and effort initially. these days you can buy anything off the internet and you dont have to buy everything at once. ( im not sure where 1 reviewer buys his maple syrup but £10 a jar is ridiculous when you can get authentic Vermont maple syrup in asda for £2.98!!) secondly, for people who havent read the intros, you will find that Gwyneth has put a paragraph specifically pointed towards the uk market, explaining the different names for items such as arugula (rocket) and she has also included a conversion table of oven temperatures so read the book properly to get all the information. Third, yes there are alot of photos of Gwyneth and i agree more foody photos would be better, however she looks great, so healthy and this is what the book is reinforcing. Last but not least - would you think twice about spending £15 on a take away which is gone in 10 minutes, or about spending £6 or £7 on a bottle of wine? so put into perspective about the cost of buying store cupboard items which last for several meals or fresh fruit and veg which taste great and make you healthy......its all about your priorities and if you want health you have to change the way you shop and cook. this book is a brilliant introduction with lots of advice about living a healthy lifestyle and shows that food restriction doesnt mean bland and boring!!
on 30 March 2015
I brought this book because I am gluten and wheat intolerant and there are quite a few recipes that looked good with this in mind.
There are some nice recipes in this book but she hasn't given a lot of thought to her British readers (which is surprising given that she lived here on and off for some time) She uses quite a few hard to find ingredients and some terminology that relates more to the American market.
As you would expect a lot of emphasis is based on healthy food which appealed to me particularly with my dietry requirements and generally it is a good book if you have the time to source the ingredients.
on 15 June 2013
I have never used a cook book so much! So tasty, healthy and interesting! I eat a lot of gluten free and this has so many ideas!
on 30 January 2016
Someone else said it best... I bought this book despite it being from Gwyneth and it absolutely made me a GP fan! The recipes are awesome. I don't think the ingredients are difficult or obscure but creative. Everything I made is delicious and easy (some easier when you have short cut tools). I have made the chicken burgers, roasted caulifleur chick pea mustard mix, and others... I can't wait to try more. There is so much flavor and I love best of all that it's healthy! Anyone can sell bacon and cheese but these recipes are genius. I've tried a lot of healthy blogger recipes and these win hands down
on 26 April 2013
I have been eating the ayurveda way (with lapses) for over a year now so thought this would be a good book to buy. Fortunately I borrowed it from the library first, as I often do now to check whether I will use the book before spending my money on it as I have too many that I have rarely used.
There are rather too few photo's of the recipes and rather too many photo's of the authors, family and random raw ingredients. Having read the blurb about Gwyneth not eating red meat, eggs, shellfish, fish, etc, etc (this is how I should eat according to ayurveda), I thought I would use this book a lot. I have had it here for 2 weeks, and keep picking it up, looking through and then putting it down again. I am not a fussy eater but each time I have looked for something to cook I have not come up with one thing I fancied trying. I think this would be quite an expensive way to eat and the dishes shown in the few recipe photo's really don't look very appetising. There are over 30 pictures of Gwyneth, sitting on a scooter, walking in a corn field, holding a tray of eggs, sitting on the beach looking pensive, sitting on a table in very short shorts cutting an avocado, etc, etc. Then there are some photo's of the co-author and Gwyneth's children, several raw fish, a chef's knife, a live chicken, a separate picture of the chicken's feet(?!), etc, etc........... I really see no point in all this and consider it to be style over substance. Is this supposed to be a cook-book or a portfolio of pictures of Gwyneth?
I really wanted to like this book but it won't be joining my collection.
on 28 January 2014
A few good things but mostly out of reach with expensive ingredients. A great shame as I hoped this would be a helpful book and has been rather a waste of money.
on 30 April 2013
Salads, pretty tasty. Cookies, muffins etc not so good. Whole food ingredients are expensive, so be aware. The sugar free recipes look great at first, but then you realise you need a bottle of maple syrup that costs approx £10 a pop! I've gone through 4 bottles for five recipes that so were not worth it. I know the cost of the ingredients is not the fault of author, but just want to make you aware!
on 12 May 2014
I, too, have had the same reservations about Gwyneth prior to buying this book but honestly I am very surprised and delighted at how great it is. I must admit that what enticed me was also the forward by Dr.Habib. the recipes are easy and great to incorporate. Most importantly, if you follow the measurements exactly you can actually end up with quite a good recipe (as opposed to horror stories I’ve seen before). I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for this type of book.
on 23 May 2014
I can recomend this book to everyone-not only to the people who are on a diet. It's full of delicious, full of flavour recipies.
on 9 June 2014
I thought this was going to be a really good book with good advice and easy to follow receipes. I found many of the receipes were too american and i was not able to obtain the ingredients in my local shops which made the book pretty useless. Would not recommend this book as the advice was more common sense with no real backed up evidance.