4.0 out of 5 stars Update the software!!
The mix of positive and frighteningly negative reviews made me a little nervous about buying this, but as it is a doddle to return stuff to Amazon I thought it was worth a punt.

Published 6 months ago by Daddy to Lola

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps freezing
I read few reviews a about this product keeps freezing but got it anyway thinking mine would be fine. The sound just turns off while watching programs and wont work for few mins it gets really annoying over time. Sound is perfect speakers look very nice. I hope ill be able to return the product
Published 9 months ago by Dominik Jezuit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Update the software!!, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: LG BH9530TW 9.1Ch 3D Sound Blu-ray Home Cinema System 1460W Aramid Fibre and Rear Wireless Speakers (Electronics)

I have had a 1000 watt Sony 5.1 Home Theatre for the last 5 years, which has performed faultlessly, but with the purchase of a 3D LED TV, the need for a Blu-Ray player became apparent, so rather than try to squeeze yet another shiny black box into my TV cabinet, I opted for a replacement system.

Opening the box was the first nervy bit. The speaker cones seem to vary in colour according to which website you look at, and I was concerned that they might be very bright yellow. That would have been enough to send the box back for me. Fortunately they are actually a fairly dark gold colour, so whilst not subtle, they don't stand out as much as online images might suggest. The box is HEAVY by the way. Be careful or you'll do your back in.

Assembling the speakers and plugging everything in is remarkably straightforward, with colour coded speaker connections and very long wires so that you can place the speakers pretty much wherever you want. The rear surrounds are wireless in the sense that they are not physically connected to the amp/player, but they are of course connected to each other via a wireless receiver. Unlike my Sony, this is a radio link, so the receiver can be placed anywhere. The Sony had an infra-red sender and a receiver port on one of the speakers, which could be irritating if you got them mis-aligned or if someone walked between the two, as the rear sound would just vanish. It's worth noting that the full user manual (supplied on a CD) has yet to be taken out of it's wrapper, which to me is testament to how easy this is to set up and use. Well-thought out products shouldn't need manuals; they should be intuitive, and this product is certainly that. There will probably be features I don't know about yet, but in two weeks of owning this, I have yet to find anything that can't be easily figured out by looking at the remote and the on-screen menus.

The sound is fabulous. Better bass than my Sony, and much more clearly defined sound channels. The ability to individually adjust all 9 channels is excellent, giving you the sound that you want rather than the sound that the manufacturer thinks is best (e.g. Sony). I'm not an audiophile, so I won't bang on about sound quality, but suffice to say that if you've had 5.1 before, this is a very definite step up, and if you've never experienced surround sound of any sort, you're in for a very pleasant surprise.

Similar story with Blu-Ray reproduction. I had never watched a full blu-ray film before, so I can't really compare to other systems, but the difference over DVD is staggering. If you've not watched a blu-ray disc yet you've not really used your Full HD TV. Do it, you won't be disappointed.

BUT......

There was a problem. As reported in other reviews, the entire system would occasionally lock up. Nothing I did had any effect. Pushing buttons on the remote or even on the unit itself had no effect; it had just frozen. There was no consistency in how it happened. You could be watching TV without changing anything, watching a disc, or even browsing the menu, and the only way to resolve it was to unplug the whole system at the mains and wait for it to boot up again. As I have worked in the AV industry before I know that there are often software updates released very soon after a product is launched, when the real world consumers have reported back on the issues that should have been identified by the manufacturer before the prduct ever went to market, so I went into the settings menu and looked for an update. Sure enough, there was a new version which downloaded in a minute or so. The difference in version numbers (V3.6 something to V4.7 something) suggests that there have been a number of incarnations since the launch of this product, despite the stickers on my speakers etc showing that they were manufactured in August 2013, so if you were one of the unlucky souls to buy one with V1.0 I really feel for you.

Anyway, it now works. Faultlessly. I have done everything I can to get it to play up because I don't want the huge box and packaging littlering my garage for months while I decide if it's safe, and I cannot get it to do anything untoward. If the product had been delivered with this software installed I would have given 5 stars without hesitation, but in my perhaps old fashioned view, if you pay 650 for something, you expect it to work properly, straight out of the box, so four stars it is. If you buy one, don't even bother to try it out until you have checked for a software update. Do that and you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps freezing, 2 Oct 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a few points..., 3 Jun 2013
Initially I was quite happy with this, but my first Bluray disc froze after 17 minutes of 3D play. A firmware update seemed to fix this, but once it started happening again I decided enough was enough. This is a 2013 product and should work with new discs as far as I am concerned. I was lucky my wife didn't skin me alive given the price, but Amazon's customary 360 degree service ensured I was able to return this product with no problems and retain my skin. I hope others have a better experience with it.

Dunc

2.0 out of 5 stars very dissapointed, 22 Jun 2013
well..well where to start..i have recently purchased this product to replace my old samsung 7.1 3d blu ray player which i had for 3 years and had no problem what so ever.

as this kit set me back 740 i had very high expectations. opened the box put it together looks stunning very stylish and modern, i was even satisfied with the sound in spite of reading negative reviews about the sound.

the problems started when i turned it off and tried to turn it back on. as i had optical cable connected as well it came up with otical cable option straight away i had to press HOME to change to HDMI1 option. on the home screen there is an option for HDMI1 however this doesn't always appear.

select HDMI1 .. and nothing happens. from this moment on the unit is not accepting any command from the remote control only the HOME button. this routine started to be a common occurance.

after a couple of weeks of 'frozen experience' i had an idea to update the software. only when i tried i realised that i'm not connected to the wireless router. selected connect, but the unit didn't find any networks - looked on my phone - at least 5 wifi networks in range. after the third retry the unit discoveter the networks - i selected mine and moved on to the password bit.

entered my password the unit went thinking and without warning me that i ntered the wrong password just asked for it again. i entered agan... and again.... and again.... and again... and then i gave up.

i pressed HOME selected HDMI1 then the sound started to come through the speakers, but i had no picture. from now on the unit froze and didn't accept any commands from the remote or from the unit itself....i had to pull the plug from the socket.

turned the unit on.. everything worked apart from the wifi.. no networks at all. pressed HOME to watch tv but from the home screen the HDMI1 option was missing..???...

turned off and back on - HOME - HDMI1 and finally could watch tv. tried to fix the wifi option but the unit didn' recognize any networks... no other option but FACTORY RESET.. selected and the unit froze again.

after disconnecting from the plug socket tried to fix the wifi - the unit found the available networks but when i entered the password just kept thinking and asking for it.. again...

approach this product very very carefully . maybe read more about it before you parting your cash!"!

i am very very dissappointed .. i will ring LG on Monday and see what they will do about this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good system for the money and combined with Amazons support it's a 4 star product in my eyes., 8 Aug 2013
***UPDATE****

My troubles originate from the fact that after 30 days of buying this product the AMAZON website says you need to talk to the manufacturer if the unit develops a fault.. This makes you think that you have to go through the manufacturer.

After 30 days my unit developed a fault and I've been going through LG customer support every time a problem occurred. Since buying this product I've been able to enjoy 8 weeks of trouble free use of this system and I've had it for about 8 months now. They won't replace the box with a new one, they simply take it away and repair it or should I say try to.

When my unit developed another fault and LG offered me yet another collect and repair (4th one) I contacted Amazon directly, I explained about my troubled history with LG and said I was not satisfied with the unit. Amazon didn't even hesitate, they offered me a full refund and apologized for all the trouble. After discussing all of my options with Amazon customer support I decided to send my LG surround sound system back to amazon.... FOR ANOTHER ONE!!!!

WHY??? Because I like the product but I hate LG's customer support. AMAZON have a policy for their electrical goods that allow you to send them back if they develop a fault within 1 year of purchase, had I realized that I would have never sent my box back to LG for a repair in the first instance and would have simply got a new one from Amazon.

Based on amazons excellent support I am now giving this unit 4 stars, If anyone has purchased this unit and it has ended up with a fault like mine or it keeps on failing, talk to amazon and send it back for a refund or a new one and don't bother with LG support. You will save yourself a lot of trouble.

**************************************************************************************************************

I saw the negative reviews about the system and thought they were just unlucky. How wrong I was. First of all the sound is brilliant and the speakers are very stylish. Sadly those good points are eclipsed by the bad points.

The player often freezes for minutes at a time, it doesn't matter what you are trying to do whether you want to play a Bluray disc or watch the TV. This system has a lot going for it with quality crisp sound and punchy bass. They just need to fix the software. Surprised it was allowed on sale.

Disappointed in LG I expected more.

Update: The box was taken away for a warranty repair, LG had the box for around 5 days and returned it with a note saying that the box had been reset. It's now 8 weeks after the repair and the unit has developed the "Please Wait" loop cycle error once again and sources fed from the HDMI ports will not work until the Bluray player has been switched off at the plug for 2 minutes.

I really wanted to like this product but based on the poor support provided by LG I'm going to reduce my review by another star! They don't seem to care..

Please do yourselves a favor and avoid this product it's not worth the risk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 10 May 2014
M. Stanbrook - See all my reviews
With streaming services built into the BluRay player, including NowTV, Amazon etc and with wireless back speakers (semi-wireless - there's a receiver for the back pair but you still wire them to that receiver) plus pretty decent DPS modes for non-surround sources this package represents great value for money.

I would like to see the speakers have more solid bases to provide better isolation and reduce vibration but overall I would highly recommend this system to anyone who wants good sound with a modest footprint. It would make a great entry to Home-Cinema or if you're looking to scale down from audiophile equipment for space you can't go wrong with it.

There have been a few small issues with the BluRay software, e.g. Spotify crashes, but LG have addressed them pretty quickly with firmware updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars well priced, surround sound., 28 Jan 2014
This has been on my wish list since it first came on the market, finally had the money so I got it. Excelent toy, it fills the room with sound without needing to crank the volume right up. It makes any sound played through it good, the wireless rear speakers mean I no longer have wires all over the place. I would recommend this to anyone, one small fault is the speakers need some weight in the base to keep them steady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic system, 10 Jan 2014
I now have the best home cinema system ever this is my 6th home cinema it meets all my expections

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a replacement for an aging Panasonic system, 22 May 2013
Mr. Carl Atvarnieks (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this system as a replacement for a good but aging 5.1 Panasonic system and I chose this as a good amalgamation of features all housed in a single integrated system.
Putting it together and linking it all up was simple and I experienced no problems with the wireless back speakers connecting.The assembly of the speakers was very easy utilising only a single screwdriver although I have a separate movie room which made life easier with pieces spread about.
The unit and speaker are in an attractive piano black which matches both my TV and and alphason stand it sits on, However given the size of the components I'm not really sure I'd want this type of unit in my living room.
I connected the unit up to a 60 inch LG plasma via an HDMI output and the optical input I then connected a panasonic multiregion Bluray (I have a number of region one discs) via one of the HDMI inputs and I used the aux Input to link the system to a sonos connect.
The integral Bluray player gives a very good quality image with great blacks and bright true to life colouring I tried out Lord Of the Rings on this player and played around with the sound with the bass turned up you didn't so much hear the sound as experience it and during the quieter moments of the film the sound was as clear and sharp as the picture itself.
I then inserted and tried playing a region one DVD on the panasonic player and again the image quality given the limitations of DVD was as clear and as sharp as the sound with no loss of quality through the connection.
Playback on the sonos via the aux input was excellent and when set on 3d music filled the room with sound.
One reason I opted for this unit was the smart internet apps on the system it features BBC Iplayer and a host of others but more importantly for me Netflix ,Lovefilm ,Blinkbox as well as Acetrax.
Playback on these was surprisingly good I have BT Broadband with a wired connection to the router which gives a speed of between 6.5 and 7.5 mbps.The Picture quality on what's a reasonably large screen was at least as good as a dvd and playback was smooth and no stops and starts were experienced on any of the services.
To summarise I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this unit with the one proviso that as i mentioned above your room has to be able to handle the bulk of the speakers and subwoofer, My own living room only has a 37 inch screen linked to a soundbar and I have no plans to put one of these in there.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD SOFTWARE GLITCH, 17 Oct 2013
We saw this and fell in love with the sound. However, within two days after purchase, it developed a mind of its own. It would freeze when moving from function to function and then switch off. Then it started to switch off by itself, then it jammed the discs and would not eject. Was told by LG technical team that sometimes the software has a bug! I said that I wasnt happy to have paid 350 for a bugged item or bad software item. I took it back and got an exchange. On the second day, it started doing the same thing. Checked on the web and found out that all these LG BH7430P have a software glitch. If you havent had a problem yet then you will have it in the future because there was a guy on the reviews who had his repaired three times for the same software problem.
LG customer services never bothered to respond when this problem initially started.
So, A Bad product with even worse customer support. Once you pass your 28 Day Refund or return or exchange date, you are at the complete mercy of the LG team.
LG CUSTOMER SERVICES HAS BEEN COMPLETELY USELESS AS MENTIONED BY A LOT OF CUSTOMERS ON THE WEB. HERE, JUDGE FOR YOURSELVES. THEY SEEM TO BE BRUSHING ME OFF:

"Thank you for your email regarding your BH7430P.

After reading through your query and looking into this for you I can advise that unfortunately at this moment in time we would be unable to confirm whether or not customers have been provided with a faulty batch of software. The reason for this is because we have not yet received any other reports of the problem that you are currently experiencing.

Until we have more reports of this we would be unable to confirm this.

I can only apologise that I was unable to resolve your query today but hopefully LG Korea will be able to assist you further.

I hope this has been of assistance to you. However, if you do require more assistance then please do not hesitate to email us again or contact our Customer Service Team on 0844 847 5454. You can even reach us via our Web Chat facility through the LG UK website.

We will always endeavour to do our best to resolve your query.

Finally, please can I ask you to complete a short survey based on my response and information that I have personally provided for you today. This survey will pop-up at the end of the email.

Thank you in advance! :)