5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Value TV.
I purchased this TV to replace a Samsung P2270HD 22-inch Full HD 1080p LCD TV/Monitor. I use the TV in a small bedroom and find 22in to be optimal. I had purchased another monitor prior to this TV based on low response time as I enjoy playing videogames, but the monitor I purchased (BenQ XL2420T) had very poor colours and the text lacked sharpness.

Having owned...
Published 15 months ago by wo0x

3.0 out of 5 stars Great little TV but....
Published 9 months ago by G L E

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Value TV., 13 April 2013
This review is from: Samsung UE22F5400 22-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim Smart LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi (2013 model) (Electronics)

Having owned a number of Samsung TVs in the past I decided to purchase this TV. First test was with my PS3 - excellent, no noticeable 'input lag,' and the colours were vibrant. Text on in-game leaderboards is crisp. It's not all good news, however... This (and indeed the BenQ) is my first experience of LED backlighting with dynamic contrast - in very dark areas the backlight is adjusted 'on-the-fly' and, to my eyes, can only be described as unpleasant. Even with dynamic contrast disabled the same effect is present in dark areas. This is a minor niggle and is ONLY in very dark areas. For gaming it is rarely noticeable. In fact, the effect has only been very noticeable whilst watching episodes of '24' - the moment the yellow clock is the only thing on screen to the point a number of scenes are shown in windows; the clock appears very dull, then suddenly it's very bright in keeping with the high quality of the rest of the picture.

The picture - fantastic, very bright, strong colours, all the options you'd expect to adjust the TV to your own taste. HD pictures on this TV look very, very good. SD - it's not the best upscaling I've ever seen, but it isn't the worst either.

Sound - average. Not a problem for me as I use headphones, but would definitely recommend separate speakers.

Features - this is where I feel this TV really shines. Freeview HD, WIFI built in, Samsung Apps - Netflix, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, iPlayer, etc... This TV even has the option to connect an external HDD via USB so that you can schedule recordings and 'pause live TV.'

Pros - great value, good all rounder, great picture quality, a wealth of features, very easy to setup and use. It's a nice looking TV and stand, very light and wall mountable.

Cons - Poor sound through in-built speakers (which seems to be the norm on small TVs/monitors,) annoying LED backlighting/dynamic contrast effect in very dark scenes. Web browser is slow and won't play many videos on websites (the Apps work fantastically well, however.)

Despite the few negative points I can only give this TV 5/5 due to the fantastic value and excellent quality of the picture. I would happily recommend this television to anyone, whilst there are niggles, they are very minor, I just felt they needed to be mentioned in order for the review to be as honest as possible.

**update** re ''annoying LED backlighting/dynamic contrast,'' I have since switched to 'movie mode' and set all the options within to my own preference and this seems to have completely removed the issue - if not completely removed, it has certainly reduced it to a level where it is no longer noticeable and therefore not annoying. Main changes after going into movie mode were reducing the LED backlight setting (to just over halfway,) then increasing brightness and sharpness (movie mode reduced sharpness drastically.) A great TV just got even better.

**Update 24th May 2013** Having been asked a question in the comments on my review I have noticed that the HDMI ports are situated in a different place on my TV than shown in Amazon's picture. The ports are on the back panel, not the side. I have uploaded my own image to reflect this. Underneath the model number it has ''version no: one.'' I have contacted Samsung for clarification on the number of versions and what other differences, if any, exist. **Samsung replied (twice,) "There is no difference in the specs of this TV and the one in the photo. Photos are for illustration purposes. The proper specs list can be found on the product support page by entering your model code (on the Samsung site.)'' I don't understand why they'd have photos that don't accurately represent the product, but at least it's cleared that up, ie there is only the one model. Both of the replies from Samsung stated the same thing.**

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 4 May 2013
P. woolley (UK) - See all my reviews
Although i didnt buy this TV from Amazon I wanted to praise this TV for what it offers.

Pros
Smart TV
Catchup TV
Record single channel
Timeshift
Crisp picture
Thin
Built in Wifi

Cons
Firmware not easy to update via USB

I never really wanted a Smart TV, as I thought it was a gimmick just like 3D TV, that was until I brought this for the bedroom. I was messing around with the laptop on Media Player when I spotted the stream button and my TV was listed. So I added a film and clicked stream to TV and WOW over wifi the film streamed perfectly and fully controllable by either the laptop or the remote. I also used my Android HTC phone and again was able to stream videos off the phone. I now watch films that I would have watched on the laptop, now on my TV, so much better.

The catchup is great and the S recommendations is brilliant. The only negative was trying to update the firmware. On the Samsung site the firmware was there (1012.1) yet the TV has 1011. On auto update it couldnt find the new firmware, so I downloaded the file onto a USB stick and extracted it, and when i plugged it into the TV and went to the software update it didnt see it. The saving grace was that Samsung are sending me out a USB stick with the firmware on it. They say by plugging that in the TV will instantly update the firmware, we will see!!!

Overall excellant and I would give it 4.5/5 stars.

**update, since the update its a 5/5**

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung UE22F5400 22-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim Smart LED TV with..., 15 Jan 2014
I bought this for my husband in attempt to encourage him to come to bed with me rather than staying up most of the night. Once he learned how to use it properly he loved it and he now comes to bed at a more reasonable time which has improved our relationship by heaps

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 16 Oct 2013
really good picture, high quality, apps work perfectly and have learnt how to send movies from my iphone/ipad to the TV!!! Mint!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, loads of Smart features, SD upscaling mediocre, 2 Dec 2013
Emteq "Emteq" (Down where the drunkards roll) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this to upgrade a Sony Bravia KDL22E5300 22-inch Widescreen which back in the day (2009) cost a fair whack but is now superseded on streaming and has no Freeview HD.

I looked at similar sized Sony TV but they wanted silly money for far less features, although I'd really prefer a Bravia panel.

In essence, this is a computer with a user-interface optimised watching TV so it has loads of options but equally can be confusing at times.

My thoughts on the Samsung -

+ Inbuilt Wi-fi without needing a dongle is a big plus, no need to drop a LAN cable into bedroom
+ In white with the oversize perspex bezel it's unobtrusive in bedroom/kitchen
+ Easy set-up, I was connected to wi-fi and scanned Freeview without opening the manual
+ Loads of 'Smart' features inc. all the on-line catch-up apps and plenty of apps for Facebook etc. I guess inside the TV is really a PC.
+ 5V USB socket for charging phones
+ No screen pixelisation on Freeview HD even though my aerial is in the loft
+ I think it has about 2GB of RAM for downloading apps;
+ 'Legacy' connectors for games machines (SCART, component) plus HDMI
+ Freeview HD on the HD panel gives decent picture quality (once adjusted)
+ Can record shows to USB
+ Easy to select YouTube videos from iOS and then stream to TV
+ Remote control app for iPad

Negatives

- It's not dual-tuner so you can't record a programme to USB while watching another
- Sony has a more intuitive way of setting picture options for different inputs
- For initial setup, plugging in a USB mouse makes using the UI a lot quicker
- The 'social TV' idea doesn't really work in practice IMHO
- It didn't automatically replace SD channels with HD equivalents in channel guide
- Security concerns about linking all your logins for Facebook etc. to Samsung logib
- SD channel upscaling to the HD panel is nothing special,
- Out the box, Contrast is set to 100% with Dynamic processing On which looks horrid

Other points

o It's a 75mm VESA mount (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo3CYPJ24N66W5E/B00BXDK1CU/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link)
o Uses an external power-brick, which makes neat position on wall a bit more tricky
o Supposedly Samsungs 'phone home' with every detail about how you use the TV, what channels you watch etc.

And also brilliant customer service from Amazon, after Yodel let them down on delivery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Television is great, software is adequate., 11 Jan 2014
M. Connelly - See all my reviews
I purchased this to replace an aging PC monitor which I was using for my games consoles.
The TV itself is fantastic - the picture quality is superb. Some may find the speakers lacking, however as I only use the TV's speakers at night when it's advisable not to have the surround sound system on, the speakers are fine.

Obviously the main "thing" about this television is its Smart TV chops, and having used it for a few days now I'm on the fence about it.
There are a few good things; the television comes preinstalled with apps for all major broadcaster's video-on-demand services (BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4oD and Demand 5), as well as Lovefilm, Netflix and Youtube. One thing this television beats my games consoles out on is that the iPlayer app supports HD streaming - something the Xbox 360 and PS3 iPlayer apps don't seem to support. The Youtube integration is also very pleasant - if you choose to play a video on the TV and the youtube application isn't open, it will open of its own accord and begin playing your video immediately.
The Smart TV software also has decent media support - every video format I threw at it was played without issue - including MKVs - and Samsung's implementation of DLNA (they call it AllShare, but it is literally just DLNA) is perfectly fine, I was able to stream movies and TV shows from my computers effortlessly.

The software isn't without problems, however. Most notably, a number of cases cause the TV to simply reboot - most often the iPlayer application, however I've found that rearranging the apps in your "My Apps" section can sometimes cause a reboot as well. The iPlayer application also will occasionally fail to display any text, making navigation virtually impossible, and the only way to fix this seems to be rebooting the entire television. Thankfully, the television reboots quickly.
The Spotify application, not preinstalled but easily downloaded through the application store, appears to include its own on-screen keyboard, which does not support certain special characters found on computer keyboards, making it impossible for me to log into my account as my password was apparently too complicated.
The more noticeable issue with the Smart TV software is that it's simply slow. The ITV, Demand 5 and BBC iPlayer apps best show how slow the software can be.
Finally, the remote control for the television is monstrous. The remote is simply overloaded with buttons, most of which are oddly-placed. It's almost impossible to locate the Smart TV button in the dark, or the directional, Okay and Return buttons. This is alleviated somewhat by the existence of smartphone apps which allow you to control the television, however even those are poorly made.

Overall I'm still very pleased with this TV, as it handles media streaming excellently (for the most part) and the aforementioned Youtube integration is excellent. The only real let-down with this television is that it has a massive amount of potential, but is let down by poor software and an over-complicated remote. If Samsung can address the software issues, making the TV faster and more stable, I'll happily give 5/5 stars. This is definitely not a purchase I regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 5 Dec 2013
Delighted with the Plug & Play easy set up, picture quality is excellent and It looks fabulous in our Kitchen. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great little TV but...., 15 Oct 2013
Overall, this is a great small screen Smart TV. Great picture and features, superb looks. The built in wireless provides the usual smart TV features which until recently wouldnt have been avaibale at this level. Given how slim and compact, it's actually takes up less space than the 20inch it replaces. I actually wished I bought a bigger size, but Samsung seem to be skipping screen sizes as next size up is 32. However, there is just one area where there really is an issue and thats the sound...it's terrible. Loud enough yes, but sounds so tinnie. I've other slim samsung screens where this doesnt happen, but at this size and slimness there are limits on what can be achieved, so its a trade off. I'd perfer a deeper unit with better sound to super slim given the choice. So 'hear' before you buy if you have high expectations in the sound area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 22 inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim SMART LED with built-in Wi-Fi, 3 May 2013
The Mystic Pole (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
After reading the Features and Benefits for this product I ordered this not knowing what to expect because it is brand new on the market and there were no previous reviews. When it was delivered this product was really easy to set up and connected to my WiFi hub in minutes, you just need the wireless serial number and there is a keyboard which pops up on the screen for you to navigate around. The on-screen keys are quite large so it is great for people with impaired vision. Tuning into my external aerial took several minutes. It was superb to see when set up, the picture clarity was outstanding, very sharp; fine tuning is very easy and you can adjust the sound, brightness and tailor how you view the TV screen according to your personal taste. The viewing screen is easy on the user's eye, that is one invaluable option if you wear spectacles.

The navigation buttons are easy to operate and I really liked the way that the arrow buttons beeped when you selected them. There is a very user-friendly on-screen guide to take you through the operation of this TV and there is so many features on here it is going to take me some time to learn how to enjoy them all. The amazon write up is quite brief in comparison to much of the future enjoyment I will gain from this purchase.

A further feature which I really took to when I took the TV out of the packaging was the neat chrome stand. It is in a half moon shape and the TV just slots on to the two raised stands, there are no screws or screwdrivers needed. The TV screen is underneath a glass front which will be easy to clean with a duster now and again so the actual screen will never become scratched or dirty.

This is a truly superb Smart TV for anyone who wants to enjoy hours of home viewing, movies, values picture sharpness where clarity is vital for comfort on the eye and is the best value TV which I am so pleased to have chosen from the wide range on the market. I spent a lot of time searching for a SMART TV and this has really exceeded my expectations and I hope that others who buy this will be equally as happy as me.

There is only one small drawback to this, you can only tune the channels in with an external aerial, the indoor aerials which state they tune in HD TVs can be hit-and-miss as to whether it will actually tune the channels in. This will be down to external atmospherics where you live and the signal from the indoor aerial may not be strong enough to pick up an HD signal needed for this particular TV.

If you go forward and select this purchase you will not be disappointed as this is a great TV set for the price and is likely to give you years of TV pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 May 2014
Just sold everything I no longer needed, sound system TV , Xbox and HD box discs and so on, as this TV has it all. I can only get infinity broadband out here in the rurals and relied on Xbox for apps, music, sect. So sold all the equipment and bought a 40" inch. Also slimline with none of the weight or dominating the whole room.