5.0 out of 5 stars A DSLR beginner's review.
Published 9 months ago by Orinoco

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with cannon eos 550d
Great product, works well however my cannon 550d rebel 2 says that it is not compatible with the camera. Therefore not able to use all the functions
Published 7 months ago by Douglas Masson

5.0 out of 5 stars A DSLR beginner's review., 24 Nov 2013
Orinoco (Castilla La Mancha, Spain) - See all my reviews
This is a manual flash. Your camera will only tell it to fire, it is a one way deal - it will not send any evaluative information back to your camera and then automatically make adjustments. You have to preset zoom and brightness. Until you get a feel for it you will need to take a shot, adjust, take the shot again, tweak... In short this flash has no TTL capability (Through the lens).

If you can handle that, if you're prepared to spend some time familiarising yourself with the unit, you're going to be one happy bunny. Build quality is first class, electronic zoom is smooth and quiet, sound can be turned off if required (previous reviewer evidently didn't RTFM).

I was becoming increasingly frustrated of banging brutal flash, head on, into my subjects, both with my Nikon bridge and with my 550D. With this I can bounce flash off a wall or ceiling and thanks to it's 180 swivel head one way, and 90 the opposite way, I can flip my camera over on the tripod to portrait and still have every angle I could need.

It has a footplate, meaning I can stand it just about anywhere and trigger it with the in-built flash on my DSLR, my bridge, or any point and shoot - really useful if you want some additional side lighting. Alternatively you can light it with a wireless trigger. I've invested in a couple of Yongnuo RF 603 triggers. A piece of kit about the size of a pendrive that slots in the hot shoe of your camera and fires the flash up to a distance of 100 yards away. They're "transceivers" so they transmit and receive, meaning you can use them to fire the shutter from distance. At twenty quid for a pair of them it would have been rude not to get them.

All in all this has been an awesome purchase. With the 200 quid I've saved not buying Canon flash equipment I've managed to invest in a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens (80 quid amazon UK) and a 75-300mm lens (109 euros amazon ES) - not top glass, but perfectly adequate for my needs right now.

If I have any beefs at all, it's that the manual that accompanies the flash is a bit naff - the result of a ropey translation from Chinese to English. It's a not a huge issue, the menu on the flash unit itself is straight forward and intuitive, extra info readily available simply by googling the model number.

This flash is ideal for indoor portraits, powerful enough to light the stage at my kids' plays from the back row, and does all the cool multi flash stuff so you can fire it 10 times in a 2 second exposure and capture the action of a golf swing in a single shot.

Incredible value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing Value, Superb Flashgun, 29 July 2013
S. Pike "Monsure" (London) - See all my reviews
I have used a fair few flash guns (manufactured by both Nikon and 3rd party Nissin) on and off camera. I needed an extra flash for off camera work and; for price, power output, and because it has an in-built receiver compatible with the Yonguno RF602 and 603 transmitters (which I already use) I thought that this flash was worth a try.

I am very very glad that I took a punt on it.

First nice surprise was that the build quality is genuinely superb. Its a chunky unit that feels sturdy; the hotshot is metal, and the flash head privates and angles smoothly and firmly. The power output is a meaty GN58. Recycle times are not quite as quick as my Nissin Di622 II's although they are not as powerful as this Yonguno.

You get a lot of bang for your buck here and it was sold at a great price point from a UK based seller (no waiting for a delivery from HK/China).

It is quite possible that these Chinese units are not as reliable as some of the better known brands but the Yonguno products do seem to be getting better and better and I have had no problems with any of mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product......... However!, 11 July 2013
I will start this review off by saying that for the price, this flash will not be beaten. The only criticism I have is that when I pulled the diffuser out it broke straight away (to me this isn't a problem as I will be using a Stofen for diffusion). Apart from that, the build quality and feel of the flash is great. The built in radio receiver works. Treat with my 603's

I will be investing in a couple more of these flashes in the near future, especially seeing as I can get 4 of these for the price of a Canon model and in my view it blows the 430 EX away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Products. Buy them!, 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: YongNuo YN-560 III Flashgun (Electronics)
First of all let me thank Amazon yet again for their excellent service. I have been using Amazon for several years now and have never had a problem. I always try to find products that are “fulfilled by Amazon” if possible, although I also have never had any problems with purchases by “other suppliers” through Amazon.

I have a Sony Alpha SLT-A58 Camera and it has been difficult finding information with regards to flash equipment compatibility without having to pay top prices for Sony-Own-Brand equipment. I have read many reviews for flash guns and wireless triggers of various manufacturers.

I came across these YongNuo YN-560 III flashguns and decided to try them out.
I purchased 2 of them and they worked perfectly without the need for any hot-shoe adapter!!! They are very powerful with a Guide No. of 58 for a focal length of 105mm. The output has 8 levels so intensity is easily reduced. They also have a built-in Wireless Receiver that is compatible with their RF-603 or RF-602 wireless transceivers. They don’t support TTL exposure so you have to use manual exposures.

I wasn’t sure about the transceivers as they are supplied for Canon and Nikon cameras and have hot-shoes and cables unique to these cameras. I decided to try them out as they are not expensive. I purchased RF-603II C3 and RF603II N3, and guess what? They all worked with my camera!!! (again without any hot-shoe adapter or cable). (You set the YN-560 flashgun to Rx Slave mode) You actually only need 1 trigger as the YN-560 flashguns have their own built-in receivers. Also, these triggers (transceivers) are both Transmitters and Receivers, so can be used with other makes of flashgun. I have tested them over a range of 10metres and they worked faultlessly. Admittedly I can’t use them to fire the shutter of my camera as they are intended for Canon/Nikon cameras.

I don’t see why these flashguns and wireless transceivers can’t work on other cameras. (as long you don’t need TTL or shutter operation)

The build quality of this equipment is unbelievably top quality for the price.

I hope this review helps a lot of people as I spent many hours researching and reading reviews. I now intend to purchase at least 2 more flashguns to enable me to setup a lighting studio without having to trip over cables!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners learning flash operation, 17 Jan 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This flashgun works as advertised. The listing mentions the fact that this is a manual flash. So this flashgun comes nowhere near a fully dedicated flash for ease of use. There is no E-TTL feature, which means that the camera cannot really communicate with the flash. Evaluative through the lens metering is used on a dedicated flash. The camera would signal a preflash in order to evaluate the power required for a well exposed picture.
Another feature on a dedicated flash is the zoom. Whilst zooming the camera would communicate with the flash (you would actually hear the flash adjust).

Now this fashgun, as the description suggests, is fully manual. Yet it is still a very valid alternative, and with some hands on experience you can get some great creative pictures.

A couple of decades ago we took awesome pictures using fully manual cameras with non autofocus lenses, and using light meters to determine the aperture and shutter speed....E-TTL flashes were science fiction.

I find myself using the YN560 III very often due to full control over the flash, thanks to the comprehensive full fledged "menu". Build quality is very good, and the LCD display combined with the button layout makes the YN560 a great flash. The slave function works very well too.

I would recommend that you search whether this flash is compatible with your specific camera. It is not compatible with all the models of the mentioned brand names.

For those who do not fancy dishing out 5 times as much for a dedicated flash, or people wanting to learn and experiment with flashes I would say that this flash is worth every penny. The price of this flashgun is a real bargain when taking into account it's numerous useful functions. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality flash, 18 Aug 2013
I'm new to flash photography so won't comment on the technicalities. Will say the flash is amazing quality; the plastic is nice, buttons smooth, and rotation of the head has a nice weight. The controls are easy enough and I believe function as the Yongnuo2 with added wireless receiver mode. Note to adjust the channel hold down the two buttons on the right and use the scroll pad. Also, this is not TTL, ie you must control the power manually both on and off camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Manual Flash, 3 Nov 2013
A surprisingly good quality feel to this product when opening the box. The built in receiver that works with the Yongnuo RF-603 works great. Recycle times are fast - just as fast as Canon, if not faster. I have well and truly tested these at between 1/4 and 1/8th power for at approximately 1100 flashes without missing one! I was so impressed I bought another. I'm not sure how they would cope with full power firing for any length of time, but in reality I very rarely will need this. Also not sure about the longevity of the product at this stage but I guess at this price you can buy four of these for the equivalent Canon. Would recommend to any photographer that uses manual flash and doesn't require ttl!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent service from supplier,and quality as expected.Very pleased indeed.Hot shoe and wireless control perfect., 17 Nov 2013
Build quality and operation as good as it gets. Would certainly recommend this product. The only criticism being that it is not
TTL operation on my Canon 600D,but manual operation is fine. Would be very interested if Yongnu also perfect a TTL version
for Canon. However,at the price,this is an extremely efficient flashgun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gun that works on my GH4 and GX7, 16 July 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
An excellent value, well made flashgun which offers excellent control especially over the most commonly used functions including changing the power setting from 1/1 to 1/128 in either full or 1/3 stops. It refreshes very quickly between flashes, I have a Metz AF44 and AF58 and this refreshes faster than either of them.

OK so it is not TTL but if you are using this as an additional flash for creative purposes then that isn't"t an issue. Set on S2 mode it ignores the preflash from a TTL gun and triggers at the correct time so you can use TTL as the main source and this gun for background fill or with a modifier, as a rim light or similar.

I cannot believe how cheap this gun is compared to my Metz ones and it works fine on the hotshoe of my Panasonic GH4 and GX7

5.0 out of 5 stars A good starter flash, 4 Jan 2014
From what I have seen so far there is no need to get the Canon equivalent. The flash works well out of the box. To set the channel hold down the top two right hand buttons to get the menu then select a number to match the triggers. The instructions are in Chinese English but good enough.

There is a table at the back to give you the power settings but I hunted around YouTube etc to get the hang of how to use it.

Great product.